Author Topic: More audio foolery  (Read 4209 times)

Offline ZaphodBeeblebrox

• Contributor
Re: More audio foolery
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 06:11:40 pm »
It makes me wonder how some of them manage to tie their shoelaces in the morning.[/color][/b]

They can tie them just fine, but they would have to be laces that cost 100x normal laces and be directional...

However, it becomes exceedingly difficult after those laces have been burnt in  :)

Offline Musclor

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 09:14:16 am »
He also reviewed a 1,000 dollar ethernet cable giving it a glowing review. He's obvioulsy a paid shill for these scam companies, or he's mentally ill (i don't use these words lightly).

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:56 am »
I "discovered" that website after I saw a mention of "audiophile grade Ethernet" on Mikrotik's forum-

So I did a search and I found a really insane world. I saw somewhere photos of an el-cheapo switch modified with an OCXO and an impressive signal integrity cabling!

https://audiobacon.net/2018/09/28/the-linear-solution-ocxo-audiophile-switch-reference-ethernet-cable-the-missing-pieces-of-digital-audio/

So these guys don't understand the difference between packet transmission with store and forward switches and sample based digital audio transmission systems such as AES/EBU or S/PDIF. Clock jitter and Ethernet!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Online Haenk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 11:26:54 am »
Trying to find some words, but I fail.
There honestly can't be people falling to this nonsense. What's next? "Audio grade room heating"? "Audio grade ambient lightning"?

:-//

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 12:31:01 pm »
Trying to find some words, but I fail.
There honestly can't be people falling to this nonsense. What's next? "Audio grade room heating"?
Well, don't talk me about air conditioning currents hitting microphones :) (And that's not an audiofoolery problem!)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2020, 02:24:11 pm »
What's next? "Audio grade room heating"? "Audio grade ambient lightning"?

That's already available. It's called disco light. ;)

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Frequent Contributor
    • Embedded Tales Blog
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2020, 05:36:11 pm »
Here's an interesting piece of audiophoolery. It's a turntable. Cost? A mere $120,000. Even comes with an air compressor for the air bearings.

https://walkeraudio.com/proscenium-black-diamond-v/

I'm sure this ugly lump of metal and wood renders every click and pop with exacting precision...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:54:34 pm by Sal Ammoniac »

Offline ThickPhilM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2020, 07:12:44 pm »
Here's an interesting piece of audiophoolery. It's a turntable. Cost? A mere $120,000. Even comes with an air compressor for the air bearings.

https://walkeraudio.com/proscenium-black-diamond-v/

I'm sure this ugly lump of metal and wood renders every click and pop with exacting precision...

I'd be surprised if they can hear anything over the noise of the compressor and the air hissing out from whatever bearing they're using it for.

Every time I see something like this it makes me think of a line from B5, Security Chief Zack Allen saying "There's a thousand full moons out there beaming bozo rays into everyone's skulls" (paraphrasing a bit).
The font colour I use is an affectation that I make no apology for

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2020, 05:39:22 pm »
 Oh, it says they generously give you 100 feet of air hose, so the compressor can live in another room.

What strikes me the most is the main improvement they cite over the previous model - the previous model used an oil lube air compressor! And no matter how good a trap you have in the air supply, some oil mist always gets through from those types of compressors. So I can only imagine what their lovely work of art, let alone your records, looked like after much use.

As for the price - there are precision air bearing machine tools with a lot more complex electronics than a simple phono cartridge that cost less. And have better than their stated accuracy in 3 dimensions, not just on one axis.

I'm rejecting this though, because of the formed crushed marble housings. I want my housings to be machined from a solid piece of marble, not sintered back together from bits of finely crushed marble. For that reason, I would never buy this.

Edit: I see they are somewhat local to me. So I looked it up. It's run out of some guy's house! And if that's all the house he can afford, and those are the cars he drives - he's doing the audiophool game wrong. Or those 5 customer comments are the only 5 customers he's ever had.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:56:44 pm by rrinker »

Offline dunkemhigh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2020, 06:17:53 pm »
It's run out of some guy's house!

But does he live there? I bought my car from a dealer who operated from a (very rundown) house. Apparently, it was cheaper to purchase a house and use it for the business than build or rent a commercial car lot. Apart from the bazillion cars shoved into every corner of the garden, you'd think it was a domestic property (and maybe the council did when it came to business taxes too).

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2020, 08:47:58 pm »
 I'd have to check zoning on that, but they are pretty picky around here, if it's Residential, you can do a small home based business without much pushback, but you have ot live there, or rent it out. You can't just buy a house in a residential neighborhood and make it a business office. If it's dual use (and seeing as how the whole street, and all the surrounding blocks, are all single family homes, I really doubt it) then you would be allowed to use the property as a business. with no problems.
 The aerial view and the street view are done at two different times, but both show the same cars (on Bing Maps anyway) - on the aerial view, on is just entering or leaving the driveway, when the camera car drove past, both were sitting in the driveway. Google doesn't have a street view of that road. Satellite view shows one of the same cars in the driveway.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2020, 10:48:00 pm »
I've run a few power cables in my time. When I was a boy, my first employer used Pirrelli brand cable. In later years, the elect wholesalers started to carry cheaper cable, due to the price of copper. What I can tell you, as a fitter, the old pirelli cable is just so nice when you happen upon it again after decades. The insulation just slips off with minimal wrist force. The stranded copper seems nicer as well.

The real kicker is when you visit an old job to run more power outlets. You run into 30 year old twin and earth 2.5mm2. You cut and strip the old stuff and join it with the new stuff. Yuk.

Too much handling of the new stuff in one day makes your hands ache with ordinary pliers. An apprentice showed up with fancy, non safe t-rex style wire strippers.

Yeah, nar.

Gimme the old, expensive stuff any day.
But you’re talking about high quality legitimate product, right? Not $1000/m audiophool IEC power leads.

All of us here respect quality. We just reject the scammy audiophoolery.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Kaziq

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2020, 11:24:09 pm »
As for the price - there are precision air bearing machine tools with a lot more complex electronics than a simple phono cartridge that cost less. And have better than their stated accuracy in 3 dimensions, not just on one axis.
Does it mater in the slightest? You'd be hard pressed to find any bearing that is so out whack to come even close to compare with the vinyl record themselves which, more often than not, have so much twist and runout that it's a wonder that the concept even works.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Haenk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2020, 01:20:46 pm »
The player looks nice. Not that I would buy it, or assume it would be any better than my Technics player, but that just seems like some over-the-top construction. Thumbs up for the idea, the construction and the build quality.

He do however sells some true phoolery stuff, too:

https://walkeraudio.com/product/black-diamond-room-treatment-crystals/

Brassy thingies to be placed in your room to enhance sound. "You can expect dramatically improved focus and a greater sense of realism and dimension in the soundstage as the walls and ceiling seem to open up."
I'm not sure, if I could believe that claim  :-/O

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2020, 05:46:52 pm »
And the demagnetizer for CDs and LPs!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Frequent Contributor
    • Embedded Tales Blog
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:04 pm »

I'll have you know that that demagnitizer realigns the chaotic electron spins in the quantum structure of the substrate material of LPs and CDs. This opens up the  soundstage, imparts subtle, but obvious improvements to the midrange, and cleans up phasing errors and realigns the timebase. The differences are like night and day.  :-DD

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2020, 06:41:46 pm »

That works as well for iPods... !
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:56:37 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
http://brave.com <- THE BEST BROWSER

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2020, 07:57:46 pm »

That work as well for iPods... !
I just wouldn't recommend it for any of the hard disk-based iPods!  ;D

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2020, 09:41:00 pm »
 OH, they are even MORE critical to use there, to keep all your bits perfectly lined up so that they flow with the least jostling in a smooth path from the disk and down the wires to your ears! Like eliminating the turbulence from airflow or a flowing stream.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2020, 10:43:32 pm »
The original iPod shipped with a Burr-Brown DAC. I wonder what color paint marker the audiophiles used to paint over the BB logo to eliminate the muddy coloration the Burr-Brown name surely imparted to the sound!  ;D

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2020, 09:02:15 am »
OH, they are even MORE critical to use there, to keep all your bits perfectly lined up so that they flow with the least jostling in a smooth path from the disk and down the wires to your ears! Like eliminating the turbulence from airflow or a flowing stream.

Easily the smoothest and most detailed sound reproduction to date, and that is saying a great deal. Music of all types sounded natural, transients were crisp, string tone was superb and the bass was full and solid. Stereo imaging precise and stable; and distortion remarkably low. I feel certain we have a winner here.
http://brave.com <- THE BEST BROWSER

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2020, 01:04:20 am »
The original iPod shipped with a Burr-Brown DAC. I wonder what color paint marker the audiophiles used to paint over the BB logo to eliminate the muddy coloration the Burr-Brown name surely imparted to the sound!  ;D
I'm under the impression that brand was a favorite for many audiophiles. Sadly (from what I remember), the coupling caps let it down with poor frequency response. Some later iPods were better in that respect.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf