Author Topic: New Solaradge Inverters with No display App/internet ONLY bullshit  (Read 2276 times)

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What a joke

https://www.pvo-int.com/en/solaredge-introduces-inverters-without-display/
SOLAREDGE INTRODUCES INVERTERS WITHOUT DISPLAY
THE NEW SOLAREDGE INVERTERS WILL ALL BE PRODUCED WITHOUT A DISPLAY.
From this year on the new inverters will be introduced into the market. The new series SolarEdge inverters are produced without a display. No more buttons and LCD screen on the front of the inverters. Now, with the new inverters you can easily and quickly :bullshit: commission the inverter via the SetApp.

Activating and configuring your inverter is now done directly through your smartphone using the SetApp mobile application (Android and IOS). As a result, the display screen is no longer needed :bullshit: in the new range of SolarEdge inverters.

Simple step-by-step instructions :bullshit::

1: Connect
A local Wi-FI connection is created between your smartphone and the inverter. System firmware is upgraded, and the system is activated.
Scan the inverter barcode to create a fully secure local Wi-FI connection between your smartphone and the inverter
Inverter is automatically activated

2: Pair & Configure
Inverter pairing and configuration is managed through the SetApp menu on your smartphone.
Configure parameters such as country and grid, language, communication options
Step-by-step instructions
Simultaneous configuration of up to 31 additional devices from the master inverter
(Feature will be available later this year)

3. Produce Power
Once the inverter and power optimizer pair, the system start up process begins. The power optimizers start producing power, and the inverter starts converting power from DC to AC.
This video explains the configuration of the new inverter.

You should never ever need a phone or wifi for the functionality of setting it up.

* Activating and configuring your inverter is now done directly through your smartphone using the SetApp mobile application (Android and IOS). As a result, the display screen is no longer needed :bullshit: in the new range of SolarEdge inverters.
Well I need it. How can they assume what the customer may not want.
*Says who? Very assumptious and insulting towards the user where the inverter information is made much more difficult to see that depends on a finite set of things. Sounds to me like a very stupid idea. What when it goes wrong and it becomes unresponsive through the wifi? Wouldn't that tell me bugger all?

I'd want a screen on the unit, powered by the unit with buttons to configure it, with the information showing right there at all times and to help me diagnose it without dependency of anything else and show me information when an alarm goes off when I am by it. Even some of the inverters I was quoted not only had a screen that will tell you stuff but had an alarm light too.

Those Simple step-by-step instructions appear to lead to many more things.
Transcript:
00:00 App on phone
00:04 Enter serial number
00:06 Activate and configure inverter on phone
00:09 Using the Solaredge inverter setapp application
00:10 Ready for commissioning
00:16 If the inverter ... is supplied with a usb flash drive
... follow the instructions provided with it to perform upgrade
and activation and use the *app* for configuration :bullshit:
00:32 Download Solaredge Setapp from google play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.solaredge.apps.activator
Google play: "Please sign in
In order to continue, you must sign in. :bullshit:

00:35 For download and first time access an internet connection is required :bullshit:
Now they say that.

00:42 Tap the Setapp icon and tap start
00:44 Login using your solaredge monitoring platform credentials
00:45 If you don't have a monitoring account press sign up here
Create an account
01:11 Scan the inverter barcode
01:15 Move the On Off P switch to P and release within 5 seconds
01:18 Setapp creates a wifi connection
PISSING and FARTING about over a wifi signal.

01:20 Tap to continue to begin the inverter firmware upgrade 
01:27 Scan the inverter barcode
01:31 Tap copy to store the wifi password
01:37 Tap continue to open the wifi settings screen
01:30 Make sure wifi is on and choose the one that corresponds with the inverter
01:45 Turn on the Ask to Join Networks option and paste the password.
Continuing firmware upgrade
02:00 Firmware upgrade may take a few 
02:03 Once completed tap continue to activate the inverter
02:11 After the inverter is successfully activated
tap start commissioning
Utter bullshit.

Well at least it shows the data through the application wifi connection without the need of internet like recently Enphase.

You should not need to do any of that just to setup an inverter.
Now, with the new inverters you can easily and quickly commission the inverter via the SetApp.  :bullshit:
I had a Foxess inverter installed many weeks before and it worked straight out the box as I was watching the workmen setting it up and none of that nonsense above. It was very easy, when the electrician put it on the wall, looked at checklist, set a few things with the controls, wrote some stuff down, did some tests and with the battery certified it and took a few pictures.

They didn't need to waste time 'pissing and farting' about over a wifi signal, phone, internet, Google Playstore account sign in, app, 'sign in to that', webhosting, firmware upgrade, activation and commissioning through the portal or "app" in order for it to start operating.

This trend seems to be becoming ridiculous with more manufacturers requiring their products to need internet and a whole load of other finite things that is not needed. Counterproductive when these finite things disappear.

What do you think?

Changed the title to something resembling it a bit better.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 05:33:49 am by MrMobodies »

Offline Helio_Centra

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Solaradge Inverters with No display App/internet ONLY setup
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 02:20:54 am »
Thanks, I hate it.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies, RJSV

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: New Solaradge Inverters with No display App/internet ONLY setup
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 03:29:52 am »
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG, MrMobodies

Online jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Re: New Solaradge Inverters with No display App/internet ONLY bullshit
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 01:15:58 pm »
Solar edge made in China

Assume the HW, FW, SW is backdoored.

jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline ZigmundRat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 01:34:11 pm »
It *is* utter bullshit. What happens 5 or 10 years from now when the device support (phone/tablet) is gone? Tons of issues with this (as you outline in your post). But this has been a trend for some time now. I just don’t buy these kinds of products. In this case especially there are MANY alternatives - buy one of them instead.

BTW, my new SMA SunnyBoy inverter has WiFi, but also Ethernet. I think you can still get RS485 interface too. Although they like you to create a SunnyPortal account and report your stats this is not required. You can provision and operate it fully offline via the emnbedded web server. It’s also open enough you can do your own stats collection via MODBUS.

There are other offerings in the market that provide a similar experience. These are the kinds of products I like to support.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 01:47:57 pm »
Kill it with fire.
sorry sir that option is only available on  tesla models

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Cyberdragon, MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 04:11:52 pm »
BTW, my new SMA SunnyBoy inverter has WiFi, but also Ethernet. I think you can still get RS485 interface too. Although they like you to create a SunnyPortal account and report your stats this is not required. You can provision and operate it fully offline via the emnbedded web server. It’s also open enough you can do your own stats collection via MODBUS.
I had a Sunnywebox with my previous 4kw Sunnyboy inverter that had ethernet of course. I remembered there were slots in the back the Sunnywebbox where where you could mount other modules.

SunnyWebbox built in webserver and datalogger 2012 to 2019:

I did have a few problems but that turned to be the power supply all along.

The Foxess 6kw inverter that was installed some weeks ago has a built in ethernet port that supports pc/third party monitoring as mentioned in the manual with modbus and is now working with a Homeassistant appliance without the need of a "Smart wifi stick" thing that the manufacturer wanted me to get where goes through their website in order to monitor and datalog it which I told them was a big nono.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.solaredge.com
5-star   22%
4-star   3%
3-star   6%
2-star   6%
1-star   63%
Corey Miller 2 reviews US Rated 1 out of 5 stars 13 hours ago

Dont go with SolarEdge, Read me then decide.
I have a SolarEdge system installed about 1 year ago. The inverter went out about 7 months after install. It took 3 months to get a warranty replacement. Also the system you paid for, you have no control of, other than monitoring. I installed the replacement inverter, commissioned (with SetAP :bullshit:), and it is producing. However I cant update it on the monitoring app so I can see my production :scared:. Also, the optimizers on the panels only work with Solaredge inverters :scared:, so I am stuck with them :scared: or change all optimizers so I can change inverters. Stay away from SolarEdge. They are a scam!

Date of experience: 06 October 2022
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 05:03:54 am by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
Re: New Solaradge Inverters DEMAND internet and smartphone to work.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 10:32:12 pm »
Solar Edge 17000w
https://www.segen.co.uk/product/solaredge-17000w-three-phase-inverter-no-display/
DESCRIPTION
Solar Edge 17000 3phase inverter with Set APP function (no display)

SE17K-RW000BNN4

THIS INVERTER HAS NO TRACKERS AND REQUIRES POWER OPTIMISERS TO FUNCTION.

The SolarEdge inverters combine a 1. sophisticated, 6. digital control technology :bullshit: and a one stage, efficient power conversion architecture to achieve superior solar power harvesting and best-in-class reliability.

The fixed-voltage technology ensures the solar inverter is always working at its optimal input voltage, regardless of the number of modules in a string or environmental conditions.

UK only: This inverter has been tested and 2. certified according to G98 or G99, but only with the most recent Firmware version. 3. Please update the inverter firmware during SetAPP phone app :bullshit: commissioning process as per the per Installation Manual.

Please note: This inverter does not have a display.  :scared: 4. It is a new Comms Board version and set up and commissioning 5. need to be done using Solar Edge SetAPP :bullshit: mobile application.
Buzzword bullshit: sophisticated, digital control technology, efficient power conversion architecture, best-in-class reliability, fixed-voltage technology.

1. So sophisticated it lacks a display and buttons to set it up.

2. Which is what firmware?

3. Look they are saying "please" sounds to me like begging that you update the firmware during the "Setapp" commissioning process.
Pathetic

4. It's new "comms" board and design is so "sophisticated", "superior", "efficient" and "best in class" unlike their older models that had displays and buttons that possibly was configurable and worked out of the box, that the new ones depends on and can only be setup with a phone, wifi signal, router, "app", internet, google play store account, Soleredge account and the manufacturer's webhosting to be in existence and supported.

5. Rubbish. It doesn't need to be done like that it should work straight away out the box like many of the others I have seen.

6. Digital control technology where it would only allow you to use a phone and the above has to be in existence for it to start working.

What a poor excuse for an inverter that appears like it won't work out of the box without a finite set of things and a lot of messing about.

In other words they just made more difficult to setup and trying to defend or justify it being a good thing using some fancy sounding buzzwords.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any reviews about this new screenless model yet.

Just found the faq pdf:
Q: Do I need an internet connection to configure the inverter?
A: An internet connection is required :bullshit: when downloading and registering SetApp for the very first time.
Q: Is it possible to commission the inverter without a smartphone?
A: No. Inverter commissioning is possible only with a smartphone :bullshit: using the SetApp mobile application.
So it is impossible for it work out of the box without a phone and internet.

Joke: The inverter is so smart and intelligent and the customers are so damn stupid and confused, it is impossible for them to set it up that they need a phone and an app, internet and US to do it.

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum/solar-panels-for-home/solar-panel-system-equipment/407281-new-solar-edge-inverters-no-screen
arf88 New Solar Edge inverters (no screen) 10-28-2019, 12:45 PM
My inverter blew, yep i heard two loud pops as it was resetting itself, multiple error codes. My solar company called Solar Edge, got it RMA and now I'm getting a new inverter installed today.

What I'm not thrilled about is the lack of LCD screen and button up front. I would check this everyday to ensure it was in night more and all solar panels registered. Was told by the tech they did this b/c the sun would hit the LCD screen and cause damage over time.

Apparently the newer models update every 15 mins instead of 4 hours over cell which is a plus but I would rather have the screen personally.

For those with the newer inverter is the portal the same or is there more information provided in the app?
I didn't know this nosense had been going on for a few years, I thought it was announced in early 2020.
If that was me I'd be fuming the fact that it was sold with a built in display.

arf88 10-28-2019, 01:17 PM
One thing i checked daily was the night mode and number of registered panels. It turns out without the LCD screen it is not possible anymore to check this unless you are the installer with the SetApp. They don't have anything for the homeowner yet, apparently there is a new app but not released. And to even use this you have to press a button and be within proximity to check if you had the SetApp password and installer credentials. Not sure why SolarEdge made this change. ehhhh

I'd say they do have one over the homeowner.
Fine way to treat a customer by swapping them over something where they loose features that were brought and paid for.

I think this might be worse than Enphase as at least you can install theirs and start using it without all that nonsense from what I found out not including the monitoring side.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 05:28:20 am by MrMobodies »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 03:35:22 pm »
...What Helio said;
   "I hate it"

• Super Contributor
I found some old documents (see attachments) from 2016 from searching google for older versions of this inverter:
http://www.europe-solarshop.com/solaredge-se17k.html

The only rubbish I can see so far in one of them:
http://www.europe-solarshop.com/documents/solaredge/se-inverter-installation-guide.pdf
Chapter 7: Setting Up Communication
Power optimizers send information to the inverter via the DC power lines (the PV output circuit). The information is sent from the inverter to the SolarEdge monitoring platform through the Internet.  :bullshit: In order to send the data from the inverter, a communication connection must be set up, as described in this chapter.
I found that it already supports modbus via ethernet for pc third and third party monitoring with a document detailing the registers they use under the Sunspec alliance: https://discourse.nodered.org/t/solaredge-modbus-registers-sunspec/37683

Chapter 5:
Commissioning the Installation
This chapter describes how to activate the system, pair the power optimizers to the inverter and verify the proper functioning of the system.
Step 1: Activating the System
1. Verify that the inverter ON/OFF switch is OFF.
2. Move the DC Safety Unit (if applicable) to the OFF position. 3.
Remove the inverter cover: Open the inverter cover’s six Allen screws and carefully pull the cover horizontally before lowering it. WARNING! ELECTRICAL SHOCK HAZARD. Do not touch uninsulated wires when the inverter cover is removed.
4. Activate the inverter:
a. Verify that the card S/N matches the inverter S/N.
b. Insert the card into the "CARD" slot on the communication board.
c. Turn ON the AC switch of the main circuit board.
d. LCD shows: Running Script...è Done!
Figure 15: Activation card :-+
If LCD shows: Failed:
Turn AC OFF and ON (reset), and repeat the activation process.l

Now that sounds pretty sensible to me.

So the same model produced before didn't need all that bullshit, a phone, internet, hosting and whole load of finite things to get it to work.

For those who said they had their faulty inverters swapped over for this new pile of piss version, I wonder if in the UK whether they'd have rights and to demand for like for like from the manufacturer (model with a display) or have another inverter installed from a different manufacturer of the same spec fitted?

I wonder what would have happened if my Foxess went faulty and the contractors were going to swap it over with a inferior pile of piss version that lacked, screen, controls, needed broadband, phone/app, webhosting which I won't as that was actually a requirement in the contract not to. That would mean they would have take it back and sort out another solution to make it right the way it was before.

They should have called these things by a different model.
http://www.europe-solarshop.com/solaredge-se17k.html
Old version of model with display 2016:
SolarEdge SE17K Three Phase Solar Inverter

New version of same model number without display:
https://www.solarenergypoint.it/shop/solar-edge-inverter-trifase-se17k
SOLAREDGE SE17K – INVERTER TRIFASE 17 KW

Joke: Like that large SolarEdge sticker is going to compensate and make me happy by how pretty and trendy it looks.

Please note: This inverter does not have a display. 4. It is a new Comms Board version and set up and commissioning 5. need to be done using Solar Edge SetAPP :bullshit: mobile application.
Very stupid why they should call them the same name when, it has a new comms board that is different where it lacks features (screen and buttons) and demands (or lock the user in before they can use it) for things that were absolutely not needed before now at the expense and inconvenience of the customer.

Or maybe it was their plan to do a switcheroo scam on their customers down the line with the warranty and on this occasion it saves them costs of a screen, buttons and lumber it all on the customers phone and a bunch of finite things.

https://old.reddit.com/r/solar/comments/cmvywz/installers_anyone_having_problems_with_solaredge/
INSTALLERS! Anyone having problems with SolarEdge? (self.solar) submitted 3 years ago by nelpaca

Wondering if any installers out there have been having trouble with SolarEdge recently? If so, what problems and what are you doing about it? I'm an installer in Colorado and roughly 25% of our SolarEdge inverters are giving us problems at the moment. Communication devices that have been working for years suddenly not communicating, firmware updates causing issues, inverters not reading DC voltage, and the list goes on....

Potentially a bigger issue has been the customer service. The customer service phone line and/or the chat service has consistently started us at 40-50-60th in the queue with hours of wait time - when it used to usually be under 10 spots ahead of us and a 10-15 minute wait time. We have a customer who has been waiting over a month to find out if they'll RMA her inverter or not. Any one having similar issues? Any insight into what's going on over there? We're moving away from using SolarEdge going forward (at least until they get their shit together) but hoping to find some ideas to resolve our current issues. Thanks!
Three years ago and that says a lot. What do they do, they hide the screen in their next batch of inverters so they don't communicate at all when they fail.

Surprise Surprise
palemilkdud 4 points 3 years ago
We have problems with probably 1/5 installs, usually with the new screen less inverters. Takes forever for phone to sync system to pair, list goes on. Screen way better.

stevey_frac 3 years ago
My inverter is a solar edge with a small blue screen on it. This is different than the ones you guys are having issues with?

vzo1281 3 years ago
The ones with blue screen are now the "Old models". To date, those are the ones that are going out on us more so than the previous models.

stevey_frac 3 years ago
So I've got one of the crappy ones then. Rats. Hope I don't get stuck with a dud. It's only been a year so far.

vzo1281 3 years ago
I would keep an eye on it then. The ones that I've had to replace had crossed the one year mark, but You may get lucky and it will work for a long time.

stevey_frac 3 years ago
Anything I should be watch for in particular? It's installed in my nice cool basement. I've heard beau might be an issue with these?

nelpacaS 3 years ago
The new SetApp inverters have given us lots of problems too. All those issues + clients being annoyed they can't see what's going on. Not all our techs have smart phones so we've had to make special trips out to commission systems. We're at about 1/4 right now with problems with all models..

palemilkdud  3 years ago
We are a much larger company in 4 states right now, even with more man power we still struggle with this company

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.solaredge.com?sort=recency&stars=1&stars=2
Tom Sheridan 1 review US Rated 1 out of 5 stars 6 days ago
Poor diagnosis and then delays
Since my original review seems to have disappeared from TrustPilot, I'll offer it again with this update: I have had NO contact from SolarEdge. The inverter has FINALLY been replaced, but this does NOT respond to my deeper question about paying installer hundreds of dollars for SolarEdge's incorrect and unnecessary diagnosis.

Rated 1 out of 5 stars Updated Aug 16, 2022
Poor diagnosis and then delays
UPDATE Aug. 23: SolarEdge requested additional information on this situation. The info sought -- contact information, which the firm already had -- was provided and acknowledged on Aug. 9. SolarEdge promised to contact me. This has not yet happened. Our installer reports that "supply issues" are delaying the promised inverter replacement. The replacement is appropriate, but it will NOT resolve the problem of having to pay for SolarEdge's slow and shoddy diagnostic support which cost us unnecessary fees without resolution. We continue to await contact from the firm.

Our situation, now more than eight months old, is SolarEdge support case no. 3122927. The problem has been the replacement – and then the replacement of the replacement – of the Dc meter in our inverter without fixing the problem. If insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, SolarEdge’s support team just qualified. The part is under warranty. But SolarEdge’s inability to correctly diagnose the problem correctly and provide detailed directions to our installer has so far cost us $420 in unnecessary fees. The case took months before SolarEdge belatedly realized the Dc meter wasn’t the problem after all and decided to replace the inverter. That was weeks ago; so far the new inverter hasn't shipped. That may resolve the issue – but it does not resolve this complaint: after already paying installer fees TWICE for unnecessary repairs because of SolarEdge’s slow and shoddy diagnostic support, I’m facing perhaps ANOTHER $200 in costs to replace the inverter. This is wrong and SolarEdge must cover those costs. The dollar amount is small. The amount of frustration involved as SolarEdge stumbled its way toward a solution is incalculable.

Date of experience: August 04, 2022

Reply from SolarEdge Updated Aug 9, 2022
Update: Thank you for providing your information. We have sent to the team for further review and to make contact.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have requested more information in order to review your case.

Date of experience: 02 January 2022

Reply from SolarEdge 6 days ago
My apologies that you were not contacted. I have followed up with the team to see they do so.
Interesting. Charging for things that should be covered under the warranty.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/stay-away-from-solaredge-inverter.201110/
Stay away from SolarEdge inverter
lettcco  Florida Jul 24, 2020
For anyone who is deciding to go with solar edge inverter, don't. I have owned the system almost a year now, and I have the inverter failed on me. It was a hardware failure, with code 18xBC. No way around it other than replacement. Tesla took cared of the failure 8 months ago, albeit took them almost 1.5 months/ of getting the replacement and re installation. I thought it was a flute so I let it slide, but today it happens again. So frustrating to have this keep happening.
My SunnyBoy 4KW inverter has worked from 2012 when it was installed to 2019 when I moved and has never ever failed during that time.
I was quoted for one of these solar Edge from a company and I am so pleased we didn't choose it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/solar/comments/cm4zl7/solaredge_inverters_failure_rate/
SolarEdge inverters failure rate (self.solar) submitted 3 years ago by andres7832

We are experiencing an incredibly high SE inverter failure rate. Systems under year old are experiencing a failure rate 3-5x of older systems and the RMA/customer service is a nightmare (1.5hr hold times at start of day, 2hrs other times) and RMAs taking 3-4 weeks to complete.

Anyone else in the same boat? We have a fleet of floater inverters (about 15 total) to keep systems up and running that is booked and still have 5+ systems not running, with more added by the day.

Never been an issue with SE but getting worried about their long term viability. Would love to hear about others experience and what they expect long term, and how you are handling this incredible drop in reliability in the last 2 years.
betterthanfire 3 years ago
I'm in residential sales, seeing a lot of the same issue with my clients. Trying to use SMA Eagle when strings will work, EnPhase when they won't. Similar experience, didn't seem to be an issue with their previous models.

john133435 3 years ago
I installed my last SE system last summer. From what period of time are you noticing increased failure rates?

betterthanfire 3 years ago
Sorry don't have all solid dates for when I've noticed the issue. Probably starting somewhere between 12 and 24 months ago. From other posts I've seen, seems mostly an issue with the newer models (HD Wave). Hope it works out ok for you.

diezel_dave 3 years ago
I'm kinda surprised someone else found that random blog. I read that whole thing and it greatly influenced my opinion of SolarEdge and I really felt like the guy was being honest with his thoughts. His experiences with SolarEdge really turned me off of that company. When I was getting quotes, I was happy to find that almost all of the companies recommended Enphase anyways so it was a no brainer for me to go with microinverters. I've had my system for two months and I couldn't be happier. I love that there isn't any single point of failure. Even if, heaven forbid, dozens of the inverters failed, the remaining ones would continue chugging along just fine. That's just awesome to me. I know I'd be furious if my system was completely inoperable because a main string inverter crapped out and it was going to take a few weeks/months before it could be replaced.

Nevdi 3 years ago*
The comments at the bottom have grown to be more damning than Mark's actual blog. What's been worse however is the aggressive threats from SolarEdge to take it down, which we've chosen not to do due to the overwhelming response in the industry and seeing so many others having the same/a similar experience.

Looking at the article somewhere in that Reddit thread that focuses on their microinverters
https://www.mcelectrical.com.au/solaredge-inverter-optimiser-review/
SOLAREDGE OPTIMISER FAILURES
Here are MC Electrical’s updated SolarEdge failures as of December 2020. It has been 6 years since our first install.

130 SolarEdge systems installed since Nov 2015
138 inverters installed
3293 optimisers installed
75 approved optimiser warranties
36 approved inverter warranties
1 rejected inverter warranty (SE claimed lightning with no evidence).
So percentages work out as a whopping…

2.2% optimiser failure rate
27% inverter failure rate
IS THAT BAD?
I count failures as loss in production not monitoring or communication issues. These failure rates will increase over time but to date:

Our Fronius inverter failures is a grand total of 24. We’ve installed over 3450 Fronius inverters since 2015.
Our Fronius inverters : 0.7% failure rate.
Our Enphase MicroInverter failures is a grand total of 3. We’ve installed over 3100 Enphase micros (across 132 installs) since 2015.
Our Enphase microinverters : 0.096% failure rate.
SolarEdge threat
THE TOUR OF SOLAREDGE
During our tour of SolarEdge, we visited their R&D testing labs…..
Before publishing this post in July 2018, I sent it to SolarEdge for feedback. I gave them 4 days to respond. I told them repeatedly that I am open for corrections or omissions and I was willing to delete sensitive information. I also did the same when I reviewed SMA, ABB and Fronius. This time instead of a “thanks for the courtesy, can you change …”, I was threatened with legal action and was given very little feedback. It wasn’t until Christmas Eve 3.15pm that I got a five-page letter from SolarEdge lawyers. I was threatened the second time in the afternoon on the day before Easter holidays 2019. I received further legal letter from SolarEdge lawyers in July 2020.

While I deleted this section about the “tour of SolarEdge” their Christmas Eve legal letter still asserts that the blog still breaks a confidentiality agreement, but they did not state which part they believe is in breach.

I certainly don’t believe I have included anything in this blog which is confidential. If I did, I wouldn’t have included it, to begin with. I take those obligations seriously. If SolarEdge identifies something which they feel was told to me in confidence, I will certainly look at whether it should be removed.
SOLAREDGE CHANGES THEIR TUNE
Both leading up to my Israel trip and after it, I had multiple conversations with SolarEdge Australia. Their tune has now changed and they now admit they have high optimiser failure rates across the board. They made two claims that I want to discuss. Edit, their lawyers deny SolarEdge have changed their tune or that they have a high optimiser failure rate.
2. TEMPERATURE-RELATED OPTIMISER FAILURES
After talking with so many installers across Australia, it seems to me there is a strong correlation between the location of the installation and the reported optimiser failure rate.
Glad they changed their tune and admitted to the failures on their microinverters.

I didn't have any microinverter or optimizer installed for this reason as it is a house and it took about a day for the company to put up scaffold.

Microinverters were actually offered, (I can't remember which brand) as an option with the company that did the previous solar panel system in 2012 but was told later they stopped selling them for new customers as they kept on blowing up and costing them labour.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 12:07:02 am by MrMobodies »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2022, 04:52:47 am »
they cheapen the shit out of it, the old one had a aluminum box, the new one is metalized plastic without a display

but you should worry about the capacitors, not the user interface. any of these things is only going to be as good as its components no matter how you set it up. Would trade most features for good capacitors and transistors. not ones that leak and cause the device to fail ;D

somehow that old solar edge box with the display everyone seems to like had some dodgy yet good looking caps in it that were failing quick and taking the system out.

seriously when a beast power electronics circuit fails it fails, you want it not to fail more then anything, nothing can cure that. fuck inverter repairs. you gon be scraping goo for a while son  |O >:(

do NOT get these without a warranty.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 07:56:04 am by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 05:41:28 pm »
I want good components too but if it doesn't work out of the box and requires internet then that is a nono as well for me as well

That worried me a bit and it's too late.
I am not sure which caps are in the inverter that was supplied and it has a warranty sticker on it.
That is one thing I should have asked the manufacturers.

The nearest I can find is for a different series:
https://www.fox-ess.com/three-phase/

I believe they may not always get the components they are advertised with.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 05:46:42 pm by MrMobodies »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 06:13:33 pm »
SE had a defect in their foil capacitors on the inverter that you like, it would limit to about 70VDC and despite your access to diagnostics it would give a error code to send to manufacturer.

Unknown if you can replace them, but its heavy soldering, expensive caps and conformal coating, quite a bit of work to fix it.

I also HIGHLY recommend adding a MOV-surge protection box near the inverter to protect it from the power company (like whole house protection). They have a few MOV but its not enough when its hooked up right near the circuit box.

I was hoping the money went from the chassis and interface to x-raying capacitors  ;D

its built similar to a TIG welding machine.

The fact is unfortunately that if you manage to get the thing to work, it will probobly keep working, until a component breaks down. If I had to choose, I would rather take the struggle during startup (yes, its a struggle with tech support etc) then have to keep replacing big ass heavy boxes. Still prefer the phone to UPS store. And Of course they will keep changing the mounting bracket and shit on you with every generation.

I think its just one of those things where the demands are so high you can't trust a manufacturer even if its good and you have to spend money on your own tests. At least I would like to imagine they did something about it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 06:19:42 pm by coppercone2 »

• Super Contributor
SolarEdge selling NONCOMPLIANT inverters to the UK market.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 04:30:47 am »
I can't find anything about their foil capacitors failures and nothing detailing as to why so many are failing but I am not surprised how they cheapened it so much that failures somewhere were bound to happen. Thank you for sharing it.

Joke: They possibly hit their 'cost down' approach so low they couldn't go any lower with the high failures.

Trustpilot:
Tim Moehlman, 1 review, US, Rated 1 out of 5 stars, 7 hours ago
Solar Edge Poor Service

I too have had unreturned calls and correspondence for a warranty inverter that is now ongoing for two months. Apparently they have the equipment in stock but nothing for warranty. If I had a solar project do over I would definitely go with another company. Sadly the company that installed the product (Kosmos Solar) hasn’t been able to resolve the issue either.

Date of experience: 14 October 2022
So they have the inverters in stock and are not giving them to customers who have been waiting for it under the warranty but are willing to give them to new and unsuspecting customers.

Incredibly poor customer service
My inverter failed after 5 months. Solar Edge dus open an RMA but they claim they have bo inverters in stock. However, another company Eco Direct, sells the exact same inverter and has 600 in stock. The least solar edge could do is to get the needed stock and get customers back up and running. Especially since they still can't identify when their stock will be in and they can ship. This would be like buying a new car from a local dealer and then have a component fail that makes the car unusable. Another dealership has rhe part in stock but your dealership is waiting for restock from Japan instead of getting the part from the other dealership in the same town. In the meantime you are paying the car loan as well as a rental (buying power). They could have corrected this problem in 3 days instead of letting it go beyond 30. I still do not have any notification that they will have inverters in stock on a specific date. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.
Store with 600 in stock possibly waiting to fail to new customers.

John Peterson, 2 reviews, CA, Rated 1 out of 5 stars, 8 Jun 2022

Talked to the Canadian sales rep. Inverter went down on my system. Says it’s 8 months for a replacement. Buy your products elsewhere. They do not stand by their products
That's a long time.

I found this interesting about noncomplaint inverters sold onto the UK market.
. HAWKER, 5 reviews, GB, Rated 1 out of 5 stars, Updated 25 Jul 2022
BEYOND A JOKE
Installed 100kWp system in 2015 from Solar Edge having been sold on the benefits it would bring. Generally been happy until informed that Solar Edge inverters needed upgrading (letter Jan 2021 from SSE) to deal with certain grid variation to comply with National Grid. National Grid advised they * would FULLY FUND the required work but it has to be completed by 1st September 2022 or they WILL DISCONNECT FROM THE GRID. Our installers obtained a quote from Solar Edge and received an email 21st DECEMBER 2021 from Solar Edge (UK COUNTRY MANAGER) that delivery would be by end February 2022 if ordered immediately. Order placed and PAID FOR 23rd DECEMBER. Despite NUMEROUS chasing emails AND THE OFFER by our Installers TO GET ON A PLANE AND PERSONALLY COLLECT THE PARTS NOTHING has happened. THE DEADLINE IS 6 WEEKS AWAY. ARE THEY GOING TO SEND THE PARTS? THIS IS COMPLETELY BEYOND BELIEF IN THE DAYS OF CLIMATE CHANGE. My next step today is contacting my MP JAMES GRAY and Rt Hon KWASI KWARTENG – Minister for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy. Have we funded an extremely expensive White Elephant???
* Might as well take the opportunity to replace the inverter with a different manufacturer, looking at Solaredge's recent change of products that are not like for like and now have a high failure rate.

Jonathan Mace, 1 review, GB, Rated 1 out of 5 stars,  22 Jul 2022
Extended delay of replacement parts.
I have been a customer of Solar Edge for several years, I was sold the system on the benefits it brings and have generally been very happy with it. However last year we were told by the National grid and our Installers, H2Eco, that Solar Edge inverters have a design issue that the National Grid in the UK is now requiring to be fixed - or the system has to be disconnected from the grid on the 1st September 2022. Our installer ordered spare parts to resolve the issue from Solar Edge at that time, delivery was to be early Feb 2022. Since then our installer has been given the run around by Solar Edge and despite offering to physically travel anywhere in Europe to get the parts, they have not been made available. We now have only 6 weeks left to get the parts and have H2Eco, our installer, swap them out and record the works with the National Grid. If that doesn’t happen, we will have to shut down the entire 350kWp system and disconnect it from the grid. That this is of course absolutely crazy when we have climate change emergency and we are facing high electrical costs. I sincerely hope that Solar Edge redeem themselves by producing the necessary replacement parts to avoid the shutdown of our system.

So Solaredge had been selling non complaint inverters to the UK and the NationalGrid tolerated it at first until now. These working units that seem fine after so many years, one of them 7 years, now have to be replaced with the screenless pile of piss that won't work straight out of the box and requires phone, app, internet and hosting a whole load of stuff just to make it work and depends on it's foil caps not to fail if they haven't fixed that already.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 01:32:08 pm by MrMobodies »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 05:07:32 am »
that thing is just a rumor with the caps from reddit, I never bothered investigating

I think it was something along the lines of leakage when they get biased high, so that means you need to desolder and test in a high voltage tester like mr carlson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf