Author Topic: NO MORE "SMART" APPLIANCES  (Read 60328 times)

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Re: NO MORE "SMART" APPLIANCES
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2022, 06:56:08 pm »
need a IMSI-catcher or  PC that can mimic phone and or cell towers
just to reverse engineer a whole generation of household appliances to keep for posterity in Museums
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2022, 08:44:35 pm »
VPN on the phone should do it - it's the data you need to capture rather than GSM stuff, and a VPN should intercept that on the way out.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2022, 07:03:39 am »
Someone mentioned somewhere early this year but I can't find it about "self test" stopping appliances from working.
Credit where credit is due... I'll see if I can find the the post later.

I heard in the UK a proposing of reducing MOT testing on cars:

https://news.sky.com/story/annual-mot-could-be-scrapped-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-12599848

Sophie Morris Political reporter @itssophiemorris
Wednesday 27 April 2022 14:23, UKAnnual
MOT checks could be scrapped under government plans to ease cost of living crisis
Grant Shapps has not ruled out the prospect of annual MOT checks being scrapped under government plans to ease the cost of living for households across the country.

I imagine "self testing" being used to gradually reduce or even replace MOT checks somewhere down the line with these new battery cars using sensors and wear leveling say on things like the brakes.
I wouldn't know how that will turn out in terms of safety

Do you think that is likely to happen?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2022, 07:40:43 am »
It's been mooted about in some form or another for quite a few years now, as a means of saving some money in terms of the MOT administration, the database etc.

The fact is it's already quite easy to duck a "real" MOT by going to a garage that will pass your vehicle regardless, and then there are the existing historic exemptions (for vehicles more than 40 years old, which this year means anything built as late as 1982 just to make you feel really old) where there's a reliance on these vehicles being "cherished" and therefore well maintained...

Ultimately it'll come down to personal responsibility, somethings the tories love to push, whereby if you get pulled by a VOSA roadside check (very unlikely) or if you have an accident serious enough for the police to get involved, and your vehicle is found to be in an unroadworthy condition, you're in the shit.

This is already the case even if you have a valid MOT certificate, which probably fuels their argument. Nevertheless I'd expect to see a huge increase in poorly maintained vehicles if this happens, and probably an increase in RTIs due to mechanical failure.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: April 30, 2022, 08:10:38 pm »
I imagine "self testing" being used to gradually reduce or even replace MOT checks somewhere down the line with these new battery cars using sensors and wear leveling say on things like the brakes.

We've never had MOT testing here at all, in most states there is absolutely no inspection process and never has been except for emissions testing in many areas which was scrapped here a few years ago due to so few cars failing. The owner is entirely responsible for making sure their vehicle is in good working order and in practice that doesn't seem to cause many problems. You don't hear about wheels falling off or accidents happening due to mechanical failure.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: April 30, 2022, 10:16:49 pm »
Without the MOT test, the testing shop wouldn't be able to notice faults that need costly fixing and would have to rely on the yearly servicing turning up extra work just afterwards.

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
Re: NO MORE "SMART" APPLIANCE
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2022, 09:46:23 am »
Without the MOT test, the testing shop wouldn't be able to notice faults that need costly fixing and would have to rely on the yearly servicing turning up extra work just afterwards.

One of my best friends is a retired mechanic, said MOTs were a waste of time because they have nothing to do with the overall safety of the car.

Note,  what was checked 15 years ago may well be different to what’s checked now.

He refused to do them after too many scenarios like,

He mots a car, it passes the mot check but he sees that while it passed, there’s no brake pads left, it’s metal grinding against metal so he failed the mot.

Customer complained as it had passed all the mot checks, mot authorities agree with customer, friend tells mot inspector that if that’s the case, mots have nothing to do with safety and is nothing more than a money making exercise.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: NO MORE "SMART" APPLIANCE
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2022, 10:17:09 am »

One of my best friends is a retired mechanic, said MOTs were a waste of time because they have nothing to do with the overall safety of the car.

Note,  what was checked 15 years ago may well be different to what’s checked now.

He refused to do them after too many scenarios like,

He mots a car, it passes the mot check but he sees that while it passed, there’s no brake pads left, it’s metal grinding against metal so he failed the mot.

Customer complained as it had passed all the mot checks, mot authorities agree with customer, friend tells mot inspector that if that’s the case, mots have nothing to do with safety and is nothing more than a money making exercise.

This scenario is incorrect, the rules for this are quite clear, it's a dangerous fault and therefore a fail:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/1-brakes#section-1-1-13

1.1.13. Brake linings and pads
Some brake pads have metal wear indicators so that when the pads become excessively worn the metal indicator touches the disc making a squealing sound. Other pads may have a cut, which if worn away indicates that the pad must be replaced.

An illuminated brake wear indicator is not a reason for failure.

Defect   Category
(a) Brake lining or pad:

(i) worn down to wear indicator     Major
(ii) worn below 1.5mm       Dangerous

(b) Brake lining or pad contaminated with oil, grease etc.   Major
(c) Brake lining or pad missing or incorrectly mounted   Dangerous

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/introduction

7. The MOT inspection manual

Although this manual is publicly available, it’s specifically written for MOT testers. It specifies the applications, procedures and standards to be used for MOT testing. You must read it with any current special notices relevant to the class or type of vehicle under test.

You should familiarise yourself with the contents of the manual and any amendments to it, including special notices which affect test procedures or standards.

Defects found during the MOT test will be categorised in one of the following groups:

minor - defects that have no significant effect on the safety of the vehicle or impact on the environment and other minor non-compliances
major - defects that may prejudice the safety of the vehicle, have an impact on the environment, put other road users at risk or other more significant non-compliances
dangerous - defects that are a direct and immediate risk to road safety or having an impact on the environment
If a vehicle has only minor defects, it will pass its MOT inspection and a test certificate will be issued. If a vehicle has any major or dangerous defects, it must be failed and a refusal notice issued.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Bud, MrMobodies

Offline HobGoblyn

• Supporter
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2022, 01:15:41 pm »
But was it incorrect 15+ years ago (I estimated the 15 years), it may well have been, I don’t know.

I’m only saying what he told me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 01:20:59 pm by HobGoblyn »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2022, 03:00:59 pm »
iu
We've never had MOT testing here at all, in most states there is absolutely no inspection process and never has been except for emissions testing in many areas which was scrapped here a few years ago due to so few cars failing. The owner is entirely responsible for making sure their vehicle is in good working order and in practice that doesn't seem to cause many problems. You don't hear about wheels falling off or accidents happening due to mechanical failure.

Despite MOT's and the strictness? in the UK over the years I remember this article:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/driver-runaway-truck-killed-four-9382806
Driver of runaway truck that killed four claims boss told him to keep quiet about brake fault light
By Steve Robson 15:49, 3 Dec 2016
The scene after a 32-tonne tipper truck careered out of control down a hill in bath

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/hauliers-jailed-over-faulty-lorry-20936091
ByFionnula HaineyUK and world news writer
15:44, 30 JUN 2021
Hauliers jailed over faulty lorry crash that killed two Manchester men on M62
Nigel Eley, 41, died at the scene, while his passenger John-Paul Cassidy, 37, suffered a head injury and passed away in hospital 10 days later

A lorry driver and his boss have been jailed over the deaths of two Manchester men who were killed when a lorry with faulty brakes ploughed into their car on the M62.
The lorry had a fault with its brakes, which would have cost just £200 to repair, Hull Crown Court heard.
Beston, who was 22 at the time, was, unknowingly to him, uninsured to drive the HGV, as Holgate only insured his vehicles for drivers aged 25 and over “to save money”.
The court heard that Beston had used an app to report a brake fault warning light on the dashboard of the lorry on nine separate occasions over the two weeks before the crash – during which time the vehicle had travelled more than 3,000 miles.
Holgate refused to send the lorry to a mechanic to repair the fault, which was causing a four to six-second delay on the brakes - despite a new replacement valve costing in the region of £200, the court heard.
“Lack of affordability was not remotely an issue in you, Michael Holgate, deciding not to have the defects repaired, the judge said. “Your greed was the driving force.”

It looks like no amount of MOT testing will stop people like this or accidents (well if can even call the one above that) from happening and according to the judge it's the greed factor.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2022, 05:18:51 pm »
So the "app" automatically reports them to the police?

I guess ...
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2022, 06:20:01 pm »
Someone mentioned somewhere early this year but I can't find it about "self test" stopping appliances from working.

Planned obsolescence...

https://news.sky.com/story/annual-mot-could-be-scrapped-amid-cost-of-living-crisis-12599848

MOT checks could be scrapped under government plans to ease cost of living crisis
They forgot having to buy health insurance. Which is likely to cost each of them thousands of dollars a year..
Grant Shapps has not ruled out the prospect of annual MOT checks being scrapped under government plans to ease the cost of living for households across the country.

Sure, when I was a kid they wanted people to buy new cars every two or three years.. To help the economy..  The illusion of democracy is exactly that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 06:25:16 pm by cdev »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2022, 07:30:20 pm »

I guess ...

I am not sure, whether it is noting it down to company he was working seeing how the boss refused.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2022, 07:33:50 pm »

I guess ...

I am not sure, whether it is noting it down to company he was working seeing how the boss refused.

It sounds like the man made a personal choice" to resist the demands from the corporation that they service the car to prevent the deaths...

Dis you see the article about the so called "right to repair" demanded by Russian Terrorists in Ukraine after stealing John Deere farm vehicles?  What a coincidence, eh? We all know where we stand on that one..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 07:35:28 pm by cdev »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2022, 07:37:35 pm »

I guess ...

He was shown the box.. Click here to...

what?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2022, 09:26:18 pm »
It sounds like the man made a personal choice" to resist the demands from the corporation that they service the car to prevent the deaths...

It wasn't a car, it was a lorry, ie semi truck. I believe those have inspections over here too although I don't know how strict they are. Certainly heavy trucks are different circumstances than private cars.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2022, 12:02:50 am »
Just like its easy to forget that for many decades many people were forced to work without pay, without any pay at all.  Now Russians are stealing the farmers grain.. all of it.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:23:04 am by cdev »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2022, 12:27:50 am »
Just like its easy to forget that for many decades many people were forced to work without pay, without any pay at all.
But board n lodgings was free,so it  worked out cheaper  to let the slaves free , pay them a wage , charge rent on there hovel and buy out the local cash n carry  so those wages ended up back in the employers pocket.But hey were free,well at least between sundown till sun up

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2022, 12:45:19 am »
It looks better too, I think they started realizing in the 19th century, as well as being more profitable. Wages don't have to be enough to "live" on, just to exist. Its not like they give people another choice, besides leaving.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:47:34 am by cdev »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: May 04, 2022, 12:04:06 pm »
It looks better too, I think they started realizing in the 19th century, as well as being more profitable. Wages don't have to be enough to "live" on, just to exist. Its not like they give people another choice, besides leaving.

Well, there's always competition between different "owners",  the ones that offer the best conditions attract the best ones etc.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #270 on: May 04, 2022, 02:05:22 pm »

This book is a very good critique of what Shosanna Zuboff a professor at Harvard Business school and critic of the new digital state.. calls a "coup from above"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Surveillance_Capitalism
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:05:19 pm by cdev »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2022, 01:01:54 pm »

Some US states have Emissions Tests,  which basically consists of making sure the Check Engine light is off....

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #272 on: May 05, 2022, 11:11:49 pm »
Read the report on LCDs at CIEL dot org, it explains whats happening better than I ever could..

Additioasl regulation is largely prohibited in many areas. Because they ar businesses and contractual..

THis was the point of the TTIP, harmonization.  They want to protect huge corporations from liability do to all sorts of what they see as time bomnbs.. due to various environmental crimes.. thats part of it.

Autos I am pretty sure are one of the must be deregulated only sectors.. Energy too likely, allowing them to substityute various kinds of energy for any otherr.. for example, substituite nuclear for gas.. or coal for LNG. Overrule voters.. They know whats best for evrybodys bottom line..  However deregulation is always allowed. Anything that makes them more money is what they want. Lower safety and emissions standards are likely. The developing world certainly wants this.

Freedom to pollute. Elimination of precautionary principle..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:32:08 pm by cdev »

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2022, 09:53:42 pm »
This book is a very good critique of what Shosanna Zuboff a professor at Harvard Business school and critic of the new digital state.. calls a "coup from above"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Surveillance_Capitalism

Both corporations and governments want to spy on everything.  They have no natural enemy because their tactic is largely one of distraction.

It's become rote to suggest the smart phone is a spy device, but what is not understood is the integration of data between places you would never imagine are integrated.  Palantir is an outcrop of this.

These companies and governments have enough phds to work out degrees of separation, data mining, communications tapping en masse, etc etc etc cc purchases, etc etc, travel, etc and have refined models to fill in the blanks, basically.

Every person walking the planet that has been christened into digitization in one form or another has an identity somewhere.  In "developed" countries that could care less about the pervasive spying, there are thousands of different you's all over the place.  40 years ago it was just a credit score.  Palantir is designed to integrate those too.

If you research it with an open mind, you will see that intelligence agencies are in essence "in business" now. What was DARPA then now we get InQTel, and many more.  It's quite a rabbit hole when you see how far back some of these "facilitations" took place in history to supplant one company with another. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:55:52 pm by mapleLC »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2022, 03:27:10 am »
Some US states have Emissions Tests,  which basically consists of making sure the Check Engine light is off....

For more than a decade the on board diagnostic system is all that is required to check for smog requirements in many areas.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf