Products > Dodgy Technology

PESKY WIKIPEDEA. and now YOUTUBE 'Changes Coming'... Yeah, ok

<< < (8/10) > >>

james_s:

--- Quote from: MK14 on December 15, 2021, 10:53:27 pm ---Don't get me started on these annoying EU regulated, we have cookies, jamming up many web-pages these days. Until you go through their (sometimes multi-pages and complicated), cookie details things, disable each section, one by one. Then have to find the accept/save options button. To unfreeze and then read the webpage.
We (UK) are not even in the EU now, and it could have been done in a much more user friendly manner. NOT semi-breaking the internet, kind of way.

--- End quote ---

We (USA) have never been part of the EU and we get the same stupid popups on a huge range of websites. It's a poster boy of of unintended consequences!

magic:
We are not in the US and have had a St Floyd protest last year. Welcome to globalism and tell me it wasn't your idea ::)

As for nag screens, a lot of problems disappear if you disable MalwareScript in the browser. As expected.

MK14:

--- Quote from: james_s on December 16, 2021, 08:06:58 am ---We (USA) have never been part of the EU and we get the same stupid popups on a huge range of websites. It's a poster boy of of unintended consequences!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: magic on December 16, 2021, 08:31:28 am ---As for nag screens, a lot of problems disappear if you disable MalwareScript in the browser. As expected.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip (eliminating nag screens). But, what I'm really looking for ...

On top of ad-blocking and malware etc blocking, some kind of method/program/technique/firewall-script etc etc. Which can completely eliminate the arguably broken, cookie nag screens, we seem to get all over the place.

When you are doing electronics and/or software and/or web-stuff etc. If it is something which is not a normal part of your experience, you use to be able to (every couple of minutes), highlight a search term (e.g. does Python perform array bounds checking by default ?), and almost instantly get to a webpage which answers that question ... 'yes'/'no'/'it depends..'.
Then carry on writing the script, or whatever one was doing.

These days, those annoying cookie nag screens, just completely mess up such work flows.

What I really want is something, which lets your web-browsing completely eliminate such annoying disruptions. I.e. like going back to 2015 (or whatever the safe years are), before that thing started.

I'm not sure if any such thing exists yet ?

The way it should have really been sorted, is that websites give an extra option, somewhere to change the cookie settings, if a user wants to.

dunkemhigh:
https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

That takes care of the nag screens (except for sites that really REALLY want to piss you off). It doesn't deal with inappropriate cookies, but as someone that cares about them you would have some kind of cookie manager anyway which would delete or otherwise deal with them.

MK14:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on December 16, 2021, 04:16:58 pm ---https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

That takes care of the nag screens (except for sites that really REALLY want to piss you off). It doesn't deal with inappropriate cookies, but as someone that cares about them you would have some kind of cookie manager anyway which would delete or otherwise deal with them.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that looks (not tried it yet, but from the details) brilliant!   :)   :)

I'm going to be re-choosing browsers, and re-installing stuff and/or doing fresh install, somewhat soon. So, that will be a good time to test it out.

The ironic joke, is I don't really mind about cookies recording stuff, most of the time. Who knows what else the servers store and keep about people, anyway.
It is just those annoying pop-ups, which freeze the website until you have to fill them in and then click them, that really annoy me.

There are rumors floating about, that google chrome web-browser, is going to effectively ban ad-blockers (or something like that). Pushing me to change web-browsers anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version