Author Topic: false marketing in eye wear ... haha !  (Read 3706 times)

Offline 3roomlabTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
false marketing in eye wear ... haha !
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:51:49 pm »
salesman : blue light ... repeat after me ... blue light ...  its so dangerous !
doctor : yea ... no !
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:53:51 pm by 3roomlab »

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
Re: false marketing in eye wear ... haha !
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:24:21 pm »
The very end touches on a valid point and is probably the seed.  Blue light does interrupt the circadian cycle.  The other claims are embellishment.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 08:44:41 am »
It's funny how the lines get blurred.

There is strong scientific evidence which shows blue (and bright) light has a detrimental affect on ones circadian rhythm and sleep quality.

However these days, it has been bastardised to Blue Light = Dangerous. Nothing can be further from the truth. It's a bit like climate change and bush fires.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 09:34:08 am »
Blue light usually means some revenue raising clowns posing as police are about to script up some easy mark cheque signing citizen for something minor,
whilst real perps and hoons speed past and cause a 'tragedy' elsewhere,
that makes it to the hungry News Machine,
which formats the story as per usual, laced with tear jerk BS  :palm:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:38:32 am by Electro Detective »

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 10:09:47 am »
Quite apart from that, "eye wear" is a scam, anyway!

They've been making spectacles for centuries, & nobody has worked out that using screws as hinge pins isn't a good idea?
A "nice little earner" perhaps?

A lot of people ended up with a collection of dead specs which could act as donors of screws to refit your original earpieces, or even of earpieces for "frankenspecs".

The industry couldn't have the general public fixing their specs, so the next innovation was spring loaded hinge bits, which retreated into the earpiece like a tortoise withdrawing its head.
The nasty old customers discovered that if you could pull it out, & somehow retain it, you could still re-fit the screw, so it was modified to make retaining it pretty much impossible without a special tool.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 05:16:57 pm »
 Hmm, I've worn glasses for more than 45 years now, and I don't think I ever had a pair that used oddball screws or otherwise made it impossible to reattach the side if it came off. Break it, different story, though I was always pretty good with my stuff in general so I didn't have much problem with that as a kid. I only just got a new pair, the old frames have all the finish peeling off them because they are about 10 years old, so I got new ones. New ones still have standard (but tiny) philips screws.
 What irks me the most is that all the new ones carry some designer name, which instantly doubles the price. Of course, most people have some sort of vision plan which covers most of the cost, so naturally the price had to rise to as much as the insurance carrier was willing to pay. When the customer pays no more than they did before having such vision plans, they certainly don't care....

The following users thanked this post: SL4P, langwadt

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 09:05:16 pm »

They've been making spectacles for centuries, & nobody has worked out that using screws as hinge pins isn't a good idea?

A lot of people ended up with a collection of dead specs which could act as donors of screws to refit your original earpieces, or even of earpieces for "frankenspecs".

The industry couldn't have the general public fixing their specs, so the next innovation was spring loaded hinge bits, which retreated into the earpiece like a tortoise withdrawing its head.
The nasty old customers discovered that if you could pull it out, & somehow retain it, you could still re-fit the screw, so it was modified to make retaining it pretty much impossible without a special tool.

You can buy little packs of screws, nose pieces etc. for repairing specs very cheaply.  Amazon sells them if you don't want to visit eBay.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 03:25:31 am »

You can buy little packs of screws, nose pieces etc. for repairing specs very cheaply.  Amazon sells them if you don't want to visit eBay.

Indeed!
However, if you already have some "dead" specs (prescriptions change), the screws are free.
Many people would just go to the optician, be told "that style isn't made anymore" & end up buying a new pair, complete with eye tests, etc.

My original point was that using screws as hinge pins is, if not done on purpose to make them gradually unscrew in use, is monumentally stupid.
Spring hinges make refitting earpieces more difficult, but on some types there are "workarounds".
Others seem to be deliberately engineered to require a "special tool".

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 03:43:50 am »
The title may be slightly misleading though. Is there such a thing as "false marketing"?
False science, certainly. But false marketing? According to Wikipedia, "Marketing is the business process of creating relationships with and satisfying customers." I don't think any kind of blue light eye wear would go against that, unless it actually harmed customers (and they would notice). False marketing would be some kind of marketing that manages to shoot itself in the foot and not yield any sale. Anyway...

Then sure, looking at screens too much at night, and otherwise having too bright lighting, can disrupt the circadian cycle. Yeah some parts of the light spectrum are worse than others (making light closer to sunlight), but they are really just part of the story. Fact is, we have been disrupting our circadian cycle pretty much ever since we have used artificial light. Nothing new. With all the new technologies, we are certainly making our "nights" shorter and shorter, which is itself a problem. Cut off all the blue light you want - the problem will still be there, intact.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 04:04:09 pm »
It is most definitely false advertising though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

False advertising is the use of false, misleading, or unproven information to advertise products to consumers.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 04:58:01 pm »
 Just repaired my GF's glasses last night, she snapped off a nose piece somehow (said it got caught in her hair) and of course the pack of replacement ones didn't have one the same color but it did have pairs so also swapped out the unbroken one.
 I don't think I've had an earpiece fall off because the screw backed out - but I pretty much stay on top of it because my glasses are the last thing I take off at the end of the day and the first thing I put on (since I can't see past my nose without them) and I proactively maintain them when I notice they are getting a bit loose.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 06:20:33 pm »
 :scared:

That massive stack of quadratics is giving me a stroke just looking at it.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Matty272

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 02:52:54 pm »
Hmm, I've worn glasses for more than 45 years now, and I don't think I ever had a pair that used oddball screws or otherwise made it impossible to reattach the side if it came off. Break it, different story, though I was always pretty good with my stuff in general so I didn't have much problem with that as a kid. I only just got a new pair, the old frames have all the finish peeling off them because they are about 10 years old, so I got new ones. New ones still have standard (but tiny) philips screws.
 What irks me the most is that all the new ones carry some designer name, which instantly doubles the price. Of course, most people have some sort of vision plan which covers most of the cost, so naturally the price had to rise to as much as the insurance carrier was willing to pay. When the customer pays no more than they did before having such vision plans, they certainly don't care....

Ref the designer bit:

I was in a high street opticians picking new glasses. The sales adviser pointed out the various ranges including the designer name frames and included this gem

"These are the designer specs from our designers" - all of these were priced more than double the standard range frames.

She was flummoxed when I asked "Who designed the rest of your frames, if not your designers?"

#ShouldHaveGoneElsewhere  8)

Offline CCitizenTO

• Contributor
  • What's your favorite element?
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 08:36:17 pm »
Yeah I had a feeling that 'Blue Light Blocking' lenses were snake oil glad to see my gut is right.

You are right about opticians and brand names costing a fortune... If you can get your Optometrist to tell you your PD (Pupilary Distance) number then you can order your prescription glasses online. I got mine from Zenni Optical for less than $40 USD delivered (That was with 4x extra clip-on sunglasses as well). Also got a set of prescription sunglasses from a brick and mortar store for like $300 (used my work benefits for that one) because I wanted to make sure the online option was accurate to my prescription.

At the prices I paid online I could have gotten 3 or 4 sets of prescription glasses for the price I paid for the sunglasses.

Also I've never had a set of glasses lose the screw on them... Mostly because I only put them on/take them off when I go to bed... So it doesn't get as much wear and tear as someone who pulls them out for reading only and open/closes that hinge 20-50 times a day.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:53 am »
Basically in specialized stores almost all the frames (and sunglasses) are made by Luxottica, in vast majority of cases you're just paying for a different logo on the side.
UV coat is cheap, polarization is tricky, so prior to buying check polarization and grab the cheapest ones you like...
If it's for longer drives or everyday use then weight comes into play (frame materials, aspheric lens for high myopia)

The computer thing is bullshitty, but blue light filter can slightly enhance your visual acuity in low light (mesopic) conditions.     

edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:49:02 am by BBBbbb »

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 04:05:17 pm »
never had a screw fall out, I just set my glasses on mu nightstand without folding them

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 09:49:18 pm »
https://www.france24.com/en/20190515-led-light-can-damage-eyes-health-authority-warns
If blue light is so horribly damaging, then nobody should ever go out on a clear sunny day!  What about all that intense blue light from the open sky?

Jon

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2019, 12:00:13 am »
https://www.france24.com/en/20190515-led-light-can-damage-eyes-health-authority-warns
If blue light is so horribly damaging, then nobody should ever go out on a clear sunny day!  What about all that intense blue light from the open sky?

Jon

Illuminant"D"(strictly speaking D65), which was the white standard in PAL TV, is supposed to represent "the colour of a European sky in summer at midday".
It seems to be a pretty close approximation of an Australian sky, too.

There are even spectral charts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 11:05:26 pm »
It's funny how the lines get blurred.

There is strong scientific evidence which shows blue (and bright) light has a detrimental affect on ones circadian rhythm and sleep quality.

However these days, it has been bastardised to Blue Light = Dangerous. Nothing can be further from the truth. It's a bit like climate change and bush fires.

You'd think thats the case, but the only studies I could find a) involve rats (which are nocturnal), and b) used intense single wavelength blue light, on 24/7 which would ruin any animals sleep.   Also the link between "blue light" and "screens with white LED backlighting" is inferred, but I have yet to see a study that actually tests LED-lit screens rather than blue light.  Or one that measures sleep quality, in humans, using variable tint lighting (as in, biased more to the red end, or the blue end).  Frankly its a chain of several assumptions, none of which have been adequately tested.

As you said, the media and there public, runs away with headlines that highlight possible links, until those ideas become tacit.  Then the consumer market jumps on board with "low blue light" stuff, glasses, tinting etc.. with the idea that you can't be too careful.  This feeds back into public opinion, giving these ideas even more credence, but the evidence is still rather thin.  Even the link between blue light and circadian rhythms isn't exactly solid - all light can interfere with circadian rhythms, its just a question of intensity and timing.  With that said, I'm not opposed to the idea, its just interesting how interesting possible links get morphed into facts, and then stay there.

Not the best source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191216173654.htm

That seems to point to the fact that generally, the spectrum is bluer, later in the day. 

Online m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 11:38:50 pm »
I couldn't care less about being able to repair my glasses. Why would "the Industry" even care? The optometrist chain where I bought my current pair will pretty much fix any repairable damage for free, no questions asked, without an appointment. Same with other local optometrists, free service and repairs for sun- and prescription glasses bought there. I've made those experiences both in Germany and in Iran. They'd actually save money if I was doing the occasional repair and service myself...

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 11:51:02 pm »
prescription eye wear is basically cheap, so optional extras are added to boost profit margins.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf