Author Topic: Rouute: ROAD-BASED ENERGY  (Read 6479 times)

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Rouute: ROAD-BASED ENERGY
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2024, 08:35:00 pm »
Yes, outside the M25. Indeed, within that it should be reasonably cheap albeit you still need to keep to someone elses timetable. And sometimes the routing can be a drag - I remember (when I did use buses) doing 3 miles into town on one bus then catching another to do 3 miles out to a place that was just a mile away sideways, and it was literally quicker to walk (but... weather, laziness,...).

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2024, 09:11:27 pm »
If they really want to get rid of cars they need to make the alternatives attractive rather than a pita, and then it would probably happen.

All it takes is passing more laws in the name of saving the planet. There might (probably: will) be some protests here and there, but that'll be it. Why do you think the alternatives have to be made attractive?
Let's say you had no choice. What would you do?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2024, 08:27:48 am »
No, laws are sticks. Make the alternatives attractive and you won't need sticks (or, at least, not so many).

Another instance: when I pop into hospital I know that parking will be difficult and relatively expensive. The car park will likely be full, and surrounding streets covered by the Ringo app, but similarly getting a space will likely be a decent walk away. However, there is a bus stop at the top of my lane, and a bus goes from there to right outside the hospital - you couldn't ask for more! Although, actually, I've taken it only once because it takes just over an hour to get there (20 mins in car), runs only once an hour, and the "onboard free WiFi and charging" never works. So for an appointment at 9:45 I am looking at catching the 7am bus, being bored to tears and than kicking my heels for half an hour at the other end. And then there's coming back... And don't ask about cost...

Laws ain't going to change that. The will to run the things more often and cheaper would make a huge difference, though.

The following users thanked this post: Xena E

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2024, 01:04:38 pm »
If they really want to get rid of cars they need to make the alternatives attractive rather than a pita, and then it would probably happen.

All it takes is passing more laws in the name of saving the planet. There might (probably: will) be some protests here and there, but that'll be it. Why do you think the alternatives have to be made attractive?
Let's say you had no choice. What would you do?

I only have this quote as an answer:

No fireplaces
No meat
No dairy
No heat
No air conditioning
No cars
No clothes
No flights

No comedians
No free speech
No cash
No cats
No dogs
No farm animals

No children

Your future as peasants
Under the eco-fascists

Really just fascists
With the best excuse ever

The following users thanked this post: Xena E

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2024, 05:48:15 pm »
However, there is a bus stop at the top of my lane, and a bus goes from there to right outside the hospital - you couldn't ask for more! Although, actually, I've taken it only once because it takes just over an hour to get there (20 mins in car), runs only once an hour, and the "onboard free WiFi and charging" never works.

I think that is because they make the buses go all around the houses (literally).

In one Hertfordshire town where I used to live, I could walk from my front door to the town centre in about 20 mins. Or I could get on the "hopper" bus that ran down my street, and it would take 25 minutes to do the same journey, because it took such a circuitous route with so many stops along the way. The only reason to take the bus would be lack of mobility or heavy shopping.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2024, 10:32:00 pm »
Yes, it's a roundabout one which takes the scenic route. But that wouldn't matter if they ran more often. They don't run more often because not many people use it - it is never packed and mostly a handful of passengers. By maybe it's not used much because it doesn't run often enough  :-//

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2024, 11:02:43 pm »
Yes, it's a roundabout one which takes the scenic route. But that wouldn't matter if they ran more often. They don't run more often because not many people use it - it is never packed and mostly a handful of passengers. By maybe it's not used much because it doesn't run often enough  :-//
That's the story of the London Overground. The North London Line, for example, was pretty deserted and derelict with tumbleweeds blowing in the wind. When TFL took it over, cleaned it up, and ran several trains per hour, it became very busy, sometimes overcrowded.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2024, 09:09:17 pm »
   Nevermind you naysaers, I'm right now trying to think up what's the best ANIMAL to do this with/to:
   SKUNKS  Walking.
   Muskrats walking.  Just cause I like the name
   Eagle tethers.
   High Speed Worms...(No).

My 4th grade school teacher.
    Decending free Boeing aircraft parts, could help keep steady generation.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2024, 09:13:18 pm »
   (My best idea):
   How about an 'Emission-free USB Dongle':
   The thing will absorb the energy released, every time you delete a file, on your PC.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2024, 11:44:47 pm »
   Yeah but, just like Veritasium with the sailboat moving faster than the wind;
   Why couldn't someone try rigging up a 'Weight Energy' treadmill, so those little road bumps MOVE...that way they could be adjusted, so that the car is ALWAYS on the downward side, of any bump.

Thanks, Veritasium, (if I've remembered the right name).

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2024, 01:59:35 am »
Nevermind you naysaers, I'm right now trying to think up what's the best ANIMAL to do this with/to:
o.O
O.o
You insinuating sumtin'?
:-DD

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2024, 09:21:06 am »
Penguins spend too much time standing huddled together for warmth for this. Though perhaps we could harvest the waste warmth with TEGs... the delta-t to the ice must be pretty good!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf