Products > Dodgy Technology

Samsung RF energy harvesting

(1/6) > >>

f4eru:
Samsung just showed RF energy harvesting.
It will no doubt work when close to the transmitter, but isit really practical for everyday use?
Probably not really.
I would try to get one for analysis whenever possible.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/2/22860390/samsung-eco-remote-2022-solar-rf-harvesting-charging

PlainName:
A TV remote is probably a perfect scenario for this kind of harvesting. Very low power sucked up 24/7 and then used rarely for a quick stab of a button. Think how long batteries last in remotes - my Logitech Harmony with LCD and backlight lasts long enough that when it does go flat I've forgotten it won't charge from the USB port and have to go through the motions of finding that out again!

But... the expensive routers (they should say WAP instead, since this is sucking up WiFi stuff and not IP routing in a wire stuff) have beam forming capabilities, so the off-piste RF would likely be much less than with cheap WAPs. Could be a case of getting to production just after the technology it relies upon has moved on.

Haenk:
Considering I have about a dozen listed WLANs available - and that is within a quasi-rural single-family-homes-only area - it seems possible to collect enough energy over time.

SiliconWizard:
Yeah. Would warrant some calculations just to figure out how bullshitty this can possibly be - or not. So, would it realistically be able to get at least as much power (+ efficiency for charging) per day as an average use of the remote takes out.

thm_w:
The headline is RF, but it has a fat solar panel on the back that is going to be capturing 90% of the energy here:

--- Quote ---Like the previous Eco Remote, this one can be charged with solar energy, but Samsung has also added RF harvesting capabilities that let the remote preserve its charge by “collecting routers’ radio waves and converting them to energy.”
--- End quote ---

I don't see any actual specs for it. Also can charge with USBC.
http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/99/b6/99b649ea-6983-49fc-9785-24f959d03951.pdf

Maybe if someone gets one they can measure the charge currents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version