Author Topic: Save 90% of your electricity bills - Voltex bullshit again.  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Distinctly AverageTopic starter

• Contributor
I've seen this one before but the new write up is so full of bollox I just cannot believe anybody actually gives them any money. Seems at the moment they are on a big advertising drive as I am seeing their add on quite a few sites.

https://getvoltex.com/article4/uk?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImbnk9fzI8AIVpmYVCB3BQAVdEAEYASAAEgLFYvD_BwE

Offline Distinctly AverageTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Save 90% of your electricity bills - Voltex bullshit again.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:54:00 am »
Ooops, just found another topic on this already. Sorry.

Offline NEW_sheffieldyorky

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 08:01:37 am »
As a retired Electro Mechanical Engineer, I see problems with this so called concept
1.   How can altering the sine wave reduce the electrical consumption.
2.   Electricity is DRAWN and the nearest outlet which is where they say that you should position the device, MIGHT only might interfere with that particular outlet but what about the others on the ring main.
3.   What about other appliances that do not have an outlet, .i.e. Cooker, Shower etc.

The best LEGAL way to save money is to fit out your entire dwelling with LED lighting, turn the television OFF at night, power down your desktop and if you have one power down your laptop and remove the power cord from the charger (fire risk) don’t leave lights burning if you are not using that room yes even if you have LED’s, only fill your kettle for the amount of water you going to use.
PLUS an extra amount to cover the element, after your shower pull the cord and turn it off. Do not leave items on charger overnight (fire risk)
I have been using the above for many many years and I don’t have a “so called energy saving device”

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 02:27:50 pm »
And what is inside of it?

Probably a big capacitor, a resistor and a led.

A friend of mine bought something similar and it is a scam for sure, but he swears by it. Not seeing the 90% reduction, which is impossible by just filtering the spikes to make a proper sine wave. :-DD

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 06:28:26 pm »
A friend of mine bought something similar and it is a scam for sure, but he swears by it. Not seeing the 90% reduction, which is impossible by just filtering the spikes to make a proper sine wave. :-DD

Did they show you their electricity bill? Is there any difference? If not, why would they swear by it? If there is, maybe it could simply be due to auto-suggestion leading them to use less electricity than before. In that case, well. If it takes some voodoo amulet to get people to pay attention to their electricity consumption, after all, why not? :-DD

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 06:36:03 pm »
Some of these scams or honest errors in energy consumption started because someone used conventional "average-responding, rms-calibrated" meters instead of "true-rms" measurements on non-sinusoidal waveforms or reactive loads.
I remember one guy who claimed that the US NIST didn't know how to measure the power in his contraption, and I think I saw Simpson 260 meters in one of his illustrations.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 07:48:52 pm »

Did they show you their electricity bill? Is there any difference? If not, why would they swear by it? If there is, maybe it could simply be due to auto-suggestion leading them to use less electricity than before. In that case, well. If it takes some voodoo amulet to get people to pay attention to their electricity consumption, after all, why not? :-DD

I did not see his bill but he claimed it was less, but I bet it had to do with usage of fewer or more efficient appliances.

We do both have the new meters, and who knows if it effects them. If so we are all being ripped off. Old style meters with a spinning wheel won't be affected by this type of filtering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf