Author Topic: SinkTech, IoT sinks  (Read 3318 times)

Online SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
SinkTech, IoT sinks
« on: July 21, 2022, 08:37:18 pm »

Intel has partnered with them, too.

IoT sinks. Yes, really!

Offline WatchfulEye

• Regular Contributor
Re: SinkTech, IoT sinks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:28:27 pm »
It's been a while since I did any bar work, but way back when we used to use automatic dishwashers. Dirty glasses went in. Clean, dry and sanitised glasses came out.

I'm not sure what problem this is supposed to solve.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 07:44:43 pm »

Taking money from investors.
Giving some (albeit questionable here) visibility to Intel's AI solutions.
Getting people used to everything being connected. Toilets are next.
 ::)

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 08:21:00 pm »
It's been a while since I did any bar work, but way back when we used to use automatic dishwashers. Dirty glasses went in. Clean, dry and sanitised glasses came out.

In my country bars tend to have two sinks, you dunk the glass on a set of brushes in soapy water then flush it in a sink with clean water. The glasses come out wet, which doesn't matter because beer is tapped over the top and then wiped flat with a blade any way. The clear sink is being continually filled from the bottom and overflowing into a pipe at the top, the soapy one generally not. Dunno what the third is for, maybe another flush to get it extra clean for American standards? A system which monitors the use of all the sinks and which automatically keeps the water fresh seems somewhat useful, one less thing for the alcoholic behind the bar to pay attention to.

The Intel angle is probably just because they used Quark for a microcontroller.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 08:25:03 pm by Marco »

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 09:16:46 pm »
Toilets are next.
To late
LG Uplus, together with bathroom remodeling firm Inus Bath, has launched Internet of Things (IoT) services aimed at bathrooms.

The telco's Smart Bathroom service offers bidet toilets and ventilators with Wi-Fi connections that can be controlled via smartphones.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-uplus-launches-iot-for-bathrooms-with-wi-fi-bidet-toilet/

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 09:33:18 pm »
Actually, smart toilets have already existed in Japan something like a decade.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 12:13:35 am »
WARPED PERCEPTION !
   When you made that YouTube video, did that car have 'regulatory' approval, for those 3 JET engines ?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 01:25:10 pm by RJHayward »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 06:03:25 pm »
This idea was clearly invented by a German with a strong accent, when he told his friend about the amazing possibilities of that new "Internet of Ssinks".   :P

The following users thanked this post: The Soulman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 07:42:21 pm »
Actually, smart toilets have already existed in Japan something like a decade.

"Smart" is a vague term. Yes they tend to have toilets full of electronics, but those were not *connected*. Here the key is IoT!
Maybe recent japanese toilets are connected though, in which case I'd be curious to see that. Think of the implications, such as tracking when people use the toilets, for how long, and so on, and save that all on a centralized server.

But surely enough, if they aren't already, as I said, they will be.

Offline helio0centra@gmail.com

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 08:36:36 am »
What happens when a faulty automatic firmware update makes it constantly fill and refuse to drain?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 08:48:32 am »

In my country bars tend to have two sinks, you dunk the glass on a set of brushes in soapy water then flush it in a sink with clean water. The glasses come out wet, which doesn't matter because beer is tapped over the top and then wiped flat with a blade any way. The clear sink is being continually filled from the bottom and overflowing into a pipe at the top, the soapy one generally not. Dunno what the third is for, maybe another flush to get it extra clean for American standards? A system which monitors the use of all the sinks and which automatically keeps the water fresh seems somewhat useful, one less thing for the alcoholic behind the bar to pay attention to.

The Intel angle is probably just because they used Quark for a microcontroller.
That's really inefficient. You mix dirty water with fresh water, so much more fresh water is needed to constantly dilute it to acceptable level rather than replace it. Maybe it was good enough in the past when resources were that much cheaper but nowadays dumping a lot of fresh water into sewerage may be not economical. Not to say I pay more for amount of water dumped into sewerage rather than for water itself.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 08:57:00 am »
I think the clean water is usually not running permanently, I have seen it being activated when the glass is being pressed onto the "sprayer". There may be different systems on the market though.
(And I really *hate* those barely cleaned glasses, but maybe that's just me.)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 09:20:29 am »
Toilets are next.
To late
LG Uplus, together with bathroom remodeling firm Inus Bath, has launched Internet of Things (IoT) services aimed at bathrooms.

The telco's Smart Bathroom service offers bidet toilets and ventilators with Wi-Fi connections that can be controlled via smartphones.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-uplus-launches-iot-for-bathrooms-with-wi-fi-bidet-toilet/

Add a camera and it can check for hemorrhoids, and an automated dispenser to apply preparation H  :-DD

And a smell detector to control the fan  :-DD

And with the internet connection it can make a doctors appointment when needed. :o
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:22:12 am by pcprogrammer »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 06:20:46 pm »
You won't be able to escape the matrix.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 02:23:39 am »
My sink is smarter. It has a tap that can be operated even when the power is out or the comms fail.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2022, 07:00:11 pm »
I've been looking for an IoT arse cleaner that predicts where I going today and knows my habits- It could kiss it too. That would mean an upgrade of course.
I think IoT would have been loved by Stalin and Hitler. In fact they are behind it all. The Machine Stops and when the cloud gets big enough it will rain down.
I'm working on YLF tech at the moment.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2022, 07:28:31 pm »
I've been looking for an IoT arse cleaner that predicts where I going today and knows my habits- It could kiss it too. That would mean an upgrade of course.
I think IoT would have been loved by Stalin and Hitler. In fact they are behind it all. The Machine Stops and when the cloud gets big enough it will rain down.
I'm working on YLF tech at the moment.

;D

You're right about it though. All this IoT/cloud stuff is a dream come true for dictatorships.
And they *are* going to be used against us.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2022, 07:44:50 pm »
I bet there are no debug features in the IoT hardware, because this thing is shouting sink without trace.

Offline Helio_Centra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 05:17:45 am »
This would allow them to shut off your water if you use too much, or you said something offensive. No thanks, I want dumb sinks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf