Author Topic: Sloppy fitting USB C plug  (Read 2705 times)

Offline simon christoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sloppy fitting USB C plug
« on: February 12, 2024, 05:43:41 am »
Hi there!!!
The first USB C plugs, where very sloppy, and weren't very
good in their 'fitting' specifications.
Does, anybody know, have they done anything about it,
and where do you go to get a tight fitting USB C plug??
Tah, Simon.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Sloppy fitting USB C plug
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 04:50:55 am »
I would suggest it comes down to the quality of the product. I've never had a loose USB-C plug. Most of them lock in with quite a satisfying click, in my experience.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 05:01:40 am »
Yes, never seen that either. I do like the locking mechanism of the Displayport connectors, it's quite effective and simple. But I guess this wouldn't really scale down to the size of connectors like USB-C.

Offline Helio_Centra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 04:37:55 pm »
Maybe you need to pay a little more for a name brand?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 04:44:28 pm »
Yes, never seen that either. I do like the locking mechanism of the Displayport connectors, it's quite effective and simple. But I guess this wouldn't really scale down to the size of connectors like USB-C.
Locking connector for portable devices would mean like 10x higher chance something gets destroyed when device is pulled or falls with a cable still inserted. Not to say I bet people would be ripping them out forcefully without pressing the release lever. Also I find DisplayPort locking mechanism very annoying when you want to unplug them in constricted space behind a monitor. It's not like HDMI plugs are ever wiggling out of the socket, unlike C13 power plugs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:51:47 pm by wraper »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 05:28:25 pm »
Locking connector for portable devices would mean like 10x higher chance something gets destroyed when device is pulled or falls with a cable still inserted. Not to say I bet people would be ripping them out forcefully without pressing the release lever. Also I find DisplayPort locking mechanism very annoying when you want to unplug them in constricted space behind a monitor. It's not like HDMI plugs are ever wiggling out of the socket, unlike C13 power plugs.

I think some of us are still having flashbacks to SCART.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline simon christoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 07:19:05 am »
Hi there!!!
Yeah, I see what you mean about 'locking' USB connecters.
The USB C is the one you can put in in either way.
I haven't seen any myself, that have a locking mechanism as yet.
Anyway, I purchased another Plug and cable, as it settles in a lot better, than what I had.
Thanks all, for your 'speedy replies'.

Tah, Simon

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 10:04:34 pm »
I've had USB-C plugs that don't 'click satisfactorily' as they go in. Usually that isn't a problem, until it is and at that point it pays to clear out the compacted debris from the receptacle so the plug will actually go fully in again. For some unknown reason, USB-C on phones are prone to this, whereas the previous micro-USB seemed not to be.

Having said that, I have a UNI-T USB Tester (UT658DUAL) which you'd think would have decent connectors. It is mostly unused, and the reason for that is because the USB-C plug only works with a small number of sockets. Don't know what the problem is, but with a socket that doesn't work it just won't work. Rotating the plug (in case it is single sided) has no effect. And yet with another socket it will work perfectly. The non-working sockets all work perfectly well with other USB-C plugs, so the problem is with the UNI-T plug, not the sockets.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf