Author Topic: Smart dot phone radiatiation stickers don't work! - who'd have guessed?  (Read 3098 times)

Offline GyroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
SmartDot radiation-protection phone stickers 'have no effect'
Stickers supposed to protect users against mobile-phone radiation have no effect, scientists have found.

Energydots says they "counteract the harmful energy emitted by wireless and electronic equipment" to aid sleep, cure headaches and give a clearer mind.

But University of Surrey tests for BBC News found no evidence of any effect.

The Devon-based company told BBC News the stickers were programmed with "scalar energy", which the scientists' equipment would be unable to detect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55613452

I'm shocked! ;D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:13:55 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Smart dot phone radiatiation stickers don't work! - who'd have guessed?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 01:35:51 pm »
@Gyro I thought this was some Crapstarter herd funded thing... but no, these are all over ebay. "Protect your whole family from harmful EMF waves" is one claim. Other than burying your kids in a lead lined box, under a mountain, there is nothing we can do to escape those bad vibrations. A pack of five dots costs upward to $100, and they are selling. Sadly ebay does not have a reporting category for, this item is a scam.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 02:27:14 pm »
Also known as placebos.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:42:31 pm »
The product description is nonsense! Those stickers absorb money, not electromagnetic radiation. ;D

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 03:06:37 pm »
They had to use a University to test if they work. :palm:
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 05:10:24 pm »
I liked the quote from amazon...

An Amazon spokesman told BBC News it:

- was investigating the Energydots products
    - required sellers to provide accurate information on products pages
    - removed listings making misleading claims or raising safety concerns

Yeah, so that happens!  ::)

It's a great surprise that the "scalar energy" that they are "programmed" with isn't able to "harmonise the fields" though!  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:11:57 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 05:33:14 pm »
There is a whole industry servicing the urban health paranoia of the #trending hipster; crystals, mono-pole magnetic wrist bands and non-conductive drinking water, to name a few 'new age' (overpriced) products. Maybe with crystals we should not entirely overlook the piezzo electric effect? I would like to point out that 125KHZ EM4100 series RFID tags are also 30mm round, have a 3M sticky backing, 'absorb' an EMC field and, cost a mere 10 cents each. So these might be a cheaper alternative to those who cannot afford scalar stickies? :-// Just saying.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 03:15:44 am »
I knew what I was going to find the good old Amazon disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EnergyDots-SleepDot-Natural-Sleep-Pack/dp/B07SJFCLXK/

Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information on our website is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our website. All information about the products on our website is provided for information purposes only. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented on our website. Please always read the labels, warnings, and directions provided with the product before using or consuming a product. In the event of any safety concerns or for any other information about a product please carefully read any instructions provided on the label or packaging and contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is not intended to substitute for advice given by medical practitioner, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements about products are not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.co.uk accepts no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products by manufacturers or other third parties. This does not affect your statutory rights.

But this one seems to be unusually small and barely readable than the ones I have seen before like with the Elink EMF neutalizer that I posted some years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EnergyDots-SleepDot-Natural-Sleep-Pack/dp/B07SJFCLXK
EnergyDots Sleepdot Natural Sleep
Date First Available: 31 May 2019

https://www.amazon.com/eLink-EMF-Neutralizer-Protection-Device/dp/B00TRM0UI4/
eLINK EMF Neutralizer Protection device
Date First Available: February 19, 2015

So it looks like with time they have reduced the size of the disclaimer but then it might just be that seller as I am not sure if that disclaimer is automatically inserted by Amazon based things like the listing type or whether the seller is required to paste it in there.

See attached pictures.

But it doesn't seem to be found on any other listing for real things that work like this suggested one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMALLRIG-Screws-Camera-Additional-Accessories/dp/B01AZ558WE

When they could have "studied" the disclaimer in relation to other listings.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:20:37 am by MrMobodies »

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 10:05:50 am »
There is a whole industry servicing the urban health paranoia
My mum fell for that whole footbath thing where the water turns all gross and is supposedly toxins that have been removed from your body.

I tried to explain to her that nothing in the water had come from her feet, even linking to bigclives video about it, and she then shrugged it off as "a bit of fun".

Im sure she still thinks it did something because she's quite big on the whole alternate medicine thing, but not big enough to be completely against professional medical advice.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 10:09:42 am »
Radioactive stuff goes here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/negative-ion-crap-actually-radioactive/

(How many more radioactive sticker threads will we get?)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 12:50:41 pm »
Radioactive stuff goes here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/negative-ion-crap-actually-radioactive/

(How many more radioactive sticker threads will we get?)

@Yansi
, who rattled your cage?  Please take the time read the link in the OP, it's not a radioactive sticker thread!  ;)

It's talking about a fake RF radiation 'mitigator', not radioactivity.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:55:32 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 01:06:19 pm »
Small mistake seems happened.
Doesn't matter, I hate any of these offtopic things. You may disagree, but I have a feeling the forum is becoming  overwhelmed by the "bullshit debunking" and other "sensational stuff".

And I was pretty much angered due to someone actually creating yet another "radioactive sticker" thread just small while back.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 01:08:31 pm »
Sure, you made a mistake.  Surely that's what the dodgy technology section is for, isn't it? Debunking bullshit stuff.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Haenk

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 06:57:17 am »
The more debunks, the better. Does not get much "dodgier" than this stuff.

Remember: Those "product reviews" will be spidered by Google and will be in the upper region of search results.  Calling them by their true nature ("crap", "fraud", "useless") might actually stop someone still not sure whether to buy it or not.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 07:26:36 am »
There are some that sort of work.

These RF powered LED stickers for phones got popular back in the days of 2G GSM phones (Nokia 3310 days). Being right next to the antenna transmitting at a Watt or two they could pick up enough power to light up some LEDs fairly brightly. Obviously this reduces the RF radiation since its sucking up power to run the LEDs and make some heat in the RF to DC conversion process. But then again mobile phones are smart enough to reduce TX power to the minimal needed to reach the tower, so the phone probably just cranks up the power to compensate for the signal loss, resulting in the same, or even larger dose of RF exposure.

These things have now resurfaced in a new form designed for NFC frequencies, making them blink from the pulses transmitted by the phone when looking for NFC tags. Apparently they started putting this on fingernails so that they blink when holding the phone. Pretty silly but hey people like colorful blinky lights.

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
And they are radioactive to boot...

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor

This is stupid... and wasted resources, but I guess a large number of people who don't have enough scientific background to judge for themselves will tend to listen to whoever is loudest. So yeah a university report will have more weight than a few isolated people, even when those are perfectly competent.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf