Products > Dodgy Technology

Solar cell roofs for EV cars.

<< < (5/5)

james_s:
I suppose it could be useful for running the AC throughout the day so the car isn't 5,000 degrees inside when you leave work. That's something I dislike about parking outside in the summer, not only is it hard on the interior of the car but it's extremely unpleasant to climb into a hot sauna.

raptor1956:

--- Quote from: james_s on April 06, 2018, 09:40:41 pm ---I suppose it could be useful for running the AC throughout the day so the car isn't 5,000 degrees inside when you leave work. That's something I dislike about parking outside in the summer, not only is it hard on the interior of the car but it's extremely unpleasant to climb into a hot sauna.

--- End quote ---

People from other parts of the world, particularly Europe, have no idea what a summer in Phoenix is like where the average daytime highs can be over 45C for weeks at a time and reach over 50C on occasion.  With a solar powered car you might have the fan on low most of the day, then put the fan on high for 10 minutes, then kick the AC on for a few minutes before the owner arrives to drive home.  A similar or different scheduling could be done elsewhere where it's not so hot.  Doing this need not consume a great amount of energy but it won't be without some cost in energy.

The southern half of the USA and particularly the southwest can be murderously hot in the summer and summer can be half the year.  In the southeast the temps are not so high but the humidity can be brutal.  The heat in Phoenix is dry and it might be assumed that a dry heat is tolerable -- tell me that after you've spent a few days in August.

The upside to Phoenix is the solar flux is real high making for great solar energy production.  The winters are wonderful and Flagstafs is only about 145 miles north and at about 6900 feet (>2100m) elevation the temps in Flagstaff can be 30C cooler.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version