Products > Dodgy Technology

Spinlaunch... Can it succeed?

<< < (63/73) > >>

BrianHG:

--- Quote from: EEVblog on April 29, 2022, 08:48:15 am ---
--- Quote from: Black Phoenix on April 29, 2022, 03:15:17 am ---
--- Quote from: EEVblog on April 29, 2022, 02:12:03 am ---
My EV battery efficiency dropped by at least 25% due the long haul driving speed compared to city driving.

--- End quote ---

Because of how urban traffic is with the constants reduction speeds and stops/uses of the electrical engine regeneration who recharges the battery even if midly right?

--- End quote ---

Wind drag at speed, even on my IONIQ which has one of the lowest drag coefficients on the market.

--- End quote ---
Regardless of wind, don't underestimate the level of drag which rubber on concrete generates a huge drag at high speeds.  See example given here @3:20:

Slightly over-inflate your tires and at highway speeds, you will gain a noticeable improvement with electric car's highway range as well as it's range overall.

SiliconWizard:

My EV battery efficiency dropped by at least 25% due the long haul driving speed compared to city driving.

--- End quote ---

Because of how urban traffic is with the constants reduction speeds and stops/uses of the electrical engine regeneration who recharges the battery even if midly right?

While in a long haul the profile is constant speed with not a lot of chances to reduce speed to take advantage of such functions right?

--- End quote ---

Well, there's just the fact that, as with any other kind of vehicle, the average speed will be much lower in urban traffic, and EVs are pretty efficient in that context. Of course mileage will decrease as speed increases. It's more "linear" with EVs, while efficiency severely drops in urban traffic for ICE vehicles.

I would also consider thermal issues. At elevated speed, batteries and power electronics heat up dramatically and so the overall efficiency decreases.

AVGresponding:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on April 29, 2022, 05:10:23 pm ---

--- End quote ---

While in a long haul the profile is constant speed with not a lot of chances to reduce speed to take advantage of such functions right?

--- End quote ---

Well, there's just the fact that, as with any other kind of vehicle, the average speed will be much lower in urban traffic, and EVs are pretty efficient in that context. Of course mileage will decrease as speed increases. It's more "linear" with EVs, while efficiency severely drops in urban traffic for ICE vehicles.

I would also consider thermal issues. At elevated speed, batteries and power electronics heat up dramatically and so the overall efficiency decreases.

--- End quote ---

And this is why a well designed hybrid will probably be the best answer for most people for quite some time to come.

Black Phoenix:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on April 29, 2022, 05:10:23 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Thank you everyone for all the insights about that.

--- Quote from: AVGresponding on April 29, 2022, 05:59:57 pm ---And this is why a well designed hybrid will probably be the best answer for most people for quite some time to come.

--- End quote ---

I was exactly thinking that, a Hybrid with a somewhat good battery range (like 100Km) for city use on battery that you can then change to ICE for the times you need to do longer trips at an increased high speed while recharging the batteries at the same time.

It really comes into consideration now because here in Mainland China currently this is the last year of benefits of anyone who wants to buy an electric car, so brands are currently pricing them very aggressively.

I'm also in the market for a car, but since I never owned an hybrid or electric, just normal ICE ones, my experience is limited to test drives and small ownership like renting for a week.

Currently electric are in big expansion here, but after the end of the benefits for buying one this year is when I'm going to see how then the sales go and how many brands are going to go bankrupt.

SiliconWizard:
Nice...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version