Author Topic: Stupid Indian noobie youtubers.  (Read 12850 times)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Stupid Indian noobie youtubers.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 01:00:54 am »
DiodeGoneWild sticks nails in the socket though. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 01:18:25 am »

You're right!

Example: At just after 18 minutes.

But that does not make it safe or a good idea.

BigCliveDotCom, at least uses a proper mains block device (Quicktest), designed for rapid mains connections.

Seen here:

Offline kjr18

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 04:35:59 am »
He does this from time to time, but there is difference between him and them. In te beginning he puts a lot of warnings, he tells about them, he draws them etc.

Those Indian younoobers rarely show any warnings, if any at all.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 11:28:52 am »
The number one cause of this sort of thing is...
Copying something without understanding WHY things were done a certain way, how it was assembled, or what thoughts went into the design.

Does anyone else think the authors of these videos have never gotten an electric shock ? or far more likely, have a blase approach to everything ?
"Oh I got a shock again, no matter"

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 01:39:53 pm »
In the name of Jesus
Please someone stop em  :-BROKE
I wonder why there are so many of them,like flies on a pile of POO :horse:
Just saw this trending on my homepage-

Usually I ignore em cause its harmless free energy or some other bullshit But i can't, in this case.

IMO, you are overreacting. Indeed, that type of power supply is NOT safe, and NOT recommended, but it won't kill you more than crossing the street without paying attention.

Anyway, I am replying here mostly because I don't like the idea of let's "kill the witch" just because I heard witches can turn anybody into stone.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »
Anyway, I am replying here mostly because I don't like the idea of let's "kill the witch" just because I heard witches can turn anybody into stone.

But witches burn as wood burns, therefore a witch must be made of wood. Wood also floats, as a duck floats, which means if a witch weighs the same as a duck she's a witch and must be burned. The "in case she turns anybody into stone" is purely incidental.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 03:19:04 pm »
If witches are made of wood and burn, then they should not be messing with electricity that could spark. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 09:14:42 pm »

You're right!

Example: At just after 18 minutes.

But that does not make it safe or a good idea.

BigCliveDotCom, at least uses a proper mains block device (Quicktest), designed for rapid mains connections.

Seen here:

Strangely enough...
I repaired one of these Brush things the other day, it was a BaByliss brand and cost £50 I'm told.
Really poor quality inside and looked like the ones in the video! I was surprised when I was repairing it at how dodgy it looked inside and
wanted to bin it rather than repair it, they have 2x DC motors inside and have really crude rectification and voltage dropping, the one DC motor had sized so ran it up on the bench PSU for a bit with a few amps up it (This is the one that turns the brush) I think she must have jammed it at some point and the brushes had stuck.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:32:57 pm by TheBay »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »
Let Darwin sort it out...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 10:03:20 pm »
But it has a fuse! That means it is protected against anything going wrong. :-//

Surely?  :-BROKE

(The plaintive cry of a zillion hi-fi owners after they sellotape-spliced a speaker extension. With the power on of course.)  :palm:

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 02:43:09 am »
Strangely enough...
I repaired one of these Brush things the other day, it was a BaByliss brand and cost £50 I'm told.
Really poor quality inside and looked like the ones in the video! I was surprised when I was repairing it at how dodgy it looked inside and
wanted to bin it rather than repair it, they have 2x DC motors inside and have really crude rectification and voltage dropping, the one DC motor had sized so ran it up on the bench PSU for a bit with a few amps up it (This is the one that turns the brush) I think she must have jammed it at some point and the brushes had stuck.

As long as the "transformerless", solution is safely inside a case, and doesn't present any kind of safety risk, externally (e.g. unlike some unsafe/dodgy USB chargers, as shown by some of BigCliveDotComs videos). Then, it is NOT too bad.

It is when a beginner/low-end-hobbyist, messes around with these, potentially (excuse the pun) highly dangerous circuits, that people get concerned.

In fairness, it is NOT limited to electronics.

Potentially unsafe youtube videos, can be found, in all sorts of areas. Unlike, in the "old" days, of when things like that would only be usually seen on TV. With the TV company, using "professionals", to ensure that the TV programme, would only show "safe" things and supply any safety warnings as necessary.

These days, youtube videos, can show all sorts of, crazy/unsafe things.
E.g. Youths (seemingly, often Russian), climbing up, apparently hundreds of Metres, WITHOUT any apparent safety equipment, such as safety harnesses.
Then at the top of buildings, precariously, climbing round the top of the building, while only holding on to some dodgy part of it, with one hand.
Such videos, tend to make me sick and/or look away, when I've seen them.

Example:

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 08:01:52 am »
Strangely enough...

As long as the "transformerless", solution is safely inside a case, and doesn't present any kind of safety risk, externally (e.g. unlike some unsafe/dodgy USB chargers, as shown by some of BigCliveDotComs videos). Then, it is NOT too bad.

I was more concerned about the quality of the item being a big name brand, was just the same as the cheapest nastiest crap one can buy.
Also very much crammed in there.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 08:16:33 am »
I was more concerned about the quality of the item being a big name brand, was just the same as the cheapest nastiest crap one can buy.

I know what you mean. Some electronic items, are a real mess inside.
These transformerless circuits, are also possibly a fire hazard, especially if they are not fused.
Especially when the wrong type of capacitor is used.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 08:18:41 am »

I know what you mean. Some electronic items, are a real mess inside.
These transformerless circuits, are also possibly a fire hazard, especially if they are not fused.
Especially when the wrong type of capacitor is used.

Tiny wiring, things just jammed in there and able to touch other parts without too much effort or if it got dropped, combined with wet hair,
I dread to think what could happen.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2018, 08:23:27 am »
Tiny wiring, things just jammed in there and able to touch other parts without too much effort or if it got dropped, combined with wet hair,
I dread to think what could happen.

There seem to have been many safety recalls in the UK, of those sort of items and similar.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls/categories/health-and-beauty/

E.g.

Category:   Health And Beauty 
Product name:   Lee Stafford Fat Curling Tong
Brand:   Lee Stafford 
Model number:   
Model Ref: LSHT11
Batch Code: 1421
Recall date(s):   24/09/2014
Description:   
Lee Stafford brand curling tongs sold exclusively through Argos stores since July 2014.
Risk:   
Risk of electric shock. Handle assembly may fail, allowing access to live power cable.
What to do:   
Stop using the product immediately and unplug from the mains.
Return the product to your nearest Argos store for a full refund.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:26:16 am by MK14 »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 02:23:34 pm »
Why stop at lax safety with just youtube videos.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/air-india-express-fiasco-aircraft-could-have-flown-safely-to-dubai/article25217393.ece
Flying a plane with a huge gash in the other skin, missing ILS antenna, after clipping a brick wall at the end of the runway due overloading the plane.

Offline CCitizenTO

• Contributor
  • What's your favorite element?
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 04:41:59 pm »
When you do videos where the potential is risk to life and limb if you do it wrong you should put the warning INSIDE the video. Watching that as a link with no EE or electrician knowledge you wouldn't know how dangerous that shit is.

What actually made me cringe is when the guy touches the exposed wires near the end. Best case you might get a shock if you short it to ground. Worst case you end up dead.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »
When you do videos where the potential is risk to life and limb if you do it wrong you should put the warning INSIDE the video. Watching that as a link with no EE or electrician knowledge you wouldn't know how dangerous that shit is.

What actually made me cringe is when the guy touches the exposed wires near the end. Best case you might get a shock if you short it to ground. Worst case you end up dead.

Have you seen Electroboom's channel  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 04:55:12 pm »
On the other hand, I think people are too uptight about this sort of thing. When I was a kid I had an old book of electrical experiments which was clearly aimed at kids. One of them was how to make an electric hotdog cooker that consisted of a board with two nails through it, connected directly to a mains cord. I built one when I was probably 8 and used it a few times, the hotdogs tasted terrible but it was fun, and obviously I never died. Then at some point within my lifetime it seems everybody has gone hysterical about safety and tries to shield and protect everybody from everything that could possibly hurt them.

I feel old saying this but when I was a kid we did stupid stuff sometimes and learned not to do it again. Lots of people have stuck their finger in a light socket or poked a metal object in an outlet, most live to tell the tale and few try it more than once.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 05:11:44 pm »
On the other hand, I think people are too uptight about this sort of thing. When I was a kid I had an old book of electrical experiments which was clearly aimed at kids. One of them was how to make an electric hotdog cooker that consisted of a board with two nails through it, connected directly to a mains cord. I built one when I was probably 8 and used it a few times, the hotdogs tasted terrible but it was fun, and obviously I never died. Then at some point within my lifetime it seems everybody has gone hysterical about safety and tries to shield and protect everybody from everything that could possibly hurt them.

I feel old saying this but when I was a kid we did stupid stuff sometimes and learned not to do it again. Lots of people have stuck their finger in a light socket or poked a metal object in an outlet, most live to tell the tale and few try it more than once.

Some countries are 220v - 240v though.
India is 220v+

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:12 pm »
265k views and 3k thumbs up!  :palm:

Imagine if they had prefaced their video title with "Most Satisfying..."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 05:19:44 pm »
120V can kill you just as dead as 220-240V. Maybe not quite as likely but it's certainly possible, and surely kids 30+ years ago in 240V countries played with electricity too?

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 05:31:58 pm »
120V can kill you just as dead as 220-240V. Maybe not quite as likely but it's certainly possible, and surely kids 30+ years ago in 240V countries played with electricity too?

Things were a lot harder to "Play" with especially with Type G sockets, we also have double insulated cables and don't use that twin core "lamp" cord (I think that's what it's called in the US)
220-240 or (250v+ in some areas) is a lot more dangerous. <100V can kill too.

Not sure if it was the same in other parts of the world but throughout school we were warned about the dangers of electricity and forced to watch government educational videos on all different topics.
Some were on low voltage electricity (240v) and other videos about High voltage electricity from substations and the national grid.

In fact I recall watching TV as a child and often there were safety videos about electricity, overloading sockets, extension leads all kinds of things.
Certainly scared me as a child to mess around with anything electrical.

Has anyone else reported this video?

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 10:16:30 pm »
oh my freaking god!  |O

its gonna take someone getting killed by this crap and then watch even good tech videos are gonna get censored. :palm:
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:34 pm »
Some were on low voltage electricity (240v) and other videos about High voltage electricity from substations and the national grid.
I remember those, they were a great source of ideas for things to try out on a wet Sunday afternoon.

Worst injury I ever did myself was a bad case of arc eye aged about 12years.
The real pisser? The carbon arc was only there as a source of negative resistance, what I was really trying for was a carrier wave in the LW band using an electric fire as a ballast, tank coil wound on the legs of a chair, and a tuning cap made of two foil covered boxes that could be slid inside each other.  I got in trouble for that one, but mainly for using dads whisky as a source of alcohol to decompose to get hydrogen in the Paulsen arc housed in a couple of biscuit tins (Hey the stuff tasted awful to me, I figured I was doing him a favour).

Yep, I was the kid out in the thunderstorm with a kite and the key (Underwhelming, modern cordage is depressingly high resistance even when wet).

So, yea we probably do bet a bit overly worried about this stuff, but back then I was getting it from books that usually at least discussed the fact that this stuff could hurt you, youtube often fails at that, or (in some ways worse) does it sort of right but fails to explain that the nitration must be done slowly, or that the supply is not isolated, you know the little things that matter.

Regards, Dan.

The following users thanked this post: TheBay, MK14

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf