Author Topic: Stupid Indian noobie youtubers.  (Read 12984 times)

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
Re: Stupid Indian noobie youtubers.
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2018, 11:22:11 pm »
Some were on low voltage electricity (240v) and other videos about High voltage electricity from substations and the national grid.
I remember those, they were a great source of ideas for things to try out on a wet Sunday afternoon.

Worst injury I ever did myself was a bad case of arc eye aged about 12years.
The real pisser? The carbon arc was only there as a source of negative resistance, what I was really trying for was a carrier wave in the LW band using an electric fire as a ballast, tank coil wound on the legs of a chair, and a tuning cap made of two foil covered boxes that could be slid inside each other.  I got in trouble for that one, but mainly for using dads whisky as a source of alcohol to decompose to get hydrogen in the Paulsen arc housed in a couple of biscuit tins (Hey the stuff tasted awful to me, I figured I was doing him a favour).

Yep, I was the kid out in the thunderstorm with a kite and the key (Underwhelming, modern cordage is depressingly high resistance even when wet).

So, yea we probably do bet a bit overly worried about this stuff, but back then I was getting it from books that usually at least discussed the fact that this stuff could hurt you, youtube often fails at that, or (in some ways worse) does it sort of right but fails to explain that the nitration must be done slowly, or that the supply is not isolated, you know the little things that matter.

Regards, Dan.

Love that story, sounded a really interesting experiment!
I remember building crystal radios and remember putting the earpiece directly on a water pipe and hearing a radio station, blew my little mind.

My dad taught me to Arc and Mig weld as a kid, I was warned not to look at the Arc but did I listen, I didn't do it again after getting arc eye!

I tried my hand at making thermite with a 12v car battery charger, a nail and my dads headshell off his record player (magnesium)
when I was younger with encouragement from my friends. That didn't go down too well!

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2018, 12:55:38 am »
There are several people who make paulsens in their garage/shed. More dangerous than you some guy had it on his messy desk with exposed wiring, what looked like moonshine still parts for fuel, and flammable solids (rags and wood and whatnot) and liquids (paints, paint thinner, gasoline) everywhere. If that went up it would be a hell of a whoosh.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2018, 12:45:01 am »
I worry that people are becoming too conditioned to things being safe, relying on protective measures and warnings on everything to warn against any possible hazard. It's more useful IMO to hammer in at an early age that certain things are dangerous and how to recognize risks and reduce the chance of becoming a statistic. Electricity can electrocute you, water can drown you. Sharp objects can cut you, power tools can slice bits of you off, hot objects can burn you, falling  from high places can kill you. Learning early on how to recognize and avoid dangers on a larger scale is better than trying to shield everybody from everything on a case by case basis.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 01:39:49 am »
I've seen some pretty stupid youtube videos with people experimenting with 1kW magnetrons and an open 4kV supply on the bench. Darwin award candidates for sure. Luckily they haven't go a clue about impedance matching, but still, definately Darwin award candidates for sure. You could even big it up a little bit "Free energy over unity microwave Tesla energy transfer device"...so that's why ubeam didn't work. But seriously, high voltage physics experiments and apparatus have been published in books for kids for a long time, maybe not so much now, but there were always safety warnings published alongside the construction notes or at the beginning of the book. If somebody gets killed the ultimate responsibility falls on YouTube and maybe not the content creator. LIke Mr Carlson says..."If you're playing along at home...

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 11:46:07 am »
I've seen some pretty stupid youtube videos with people experimenting with 1kW magnetrons and an open 4kV supply on the bench. Darwin award candidates for sure. Luckily they haven't go a clue about impedance matching, but still, definately Darwin award candidates for sure. You could even big it up a little bit "Free energy over unity microwave Tesla energy transfer device"...so that's why ubeam didn't work. But seriously, high voltage physics experiments and apparatus have been published in books for kids for a long time, maybe not so much now, but there were always safety warnings published alongside the construction notes or at the beginning of the book. If somebody gets killed the ultimate responsibility falls on YouTube and maybe not the content creator. LIke Mr Carlson says..."If you're playing along at home...
Nice to see another member on here with the same country flag.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2018, 12:39:58 pm »
BigCliveDotCom, at least uses a proper mains block device (Quicktest), designed for rapid mains connections.

Yeah, but unlike those Darwin award candidates, BigClive is an actual electrician. So he knows well what to not do and how to do things safely.

When you do videos where the potential is risk to life and limb if you do it wrong you should put the warning INSIDE the video. Watching that as a link with no EE or electrician knowledge you wouldn't know how dangerous that shit is.

What actually made me cringe is when the guy touches the exposed wires near the end. Best case you might get a shock if you short it to ground. Worst case you end up dead.

Have you seen Electroboom's channel  :-DD

He does some crazy stunts but he is an EE, AFAIK, and most of his stuff is carefully staged so that he doesn't get hurt. He does know what he is doing, despite all those sparky/smoky/KABOOM! hijinks.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:42 pm »
Electroboom is a proper engineer and he knows exactly what he's doing. He's also showing the many things that can go wrong, albeit in a humorous fashion. If anything he's advertising that you should be on your toes at all times and that getting hurt is easy.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2018, 03:53:38 pm »
@TheBay There's a few members from Wales which is nice to see.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 04:28:23 am »
If somebody gets killed the ultimate responsibility falls on YouTube and maybe not the content creator. LIke Mr Carlson says..."If you're playing along at home...

No, the ultimate responsibility falls on the individual who did whatever killed them or somebody else. If I tell you to jump off a cliff and you do it is that my fault? If you tell me to drink a bottle of rat poison, is it your fault if I'm stupid enough to do it and die? Of course not, each of us has the individual responsibility to look out for our own safety. It shouldn't be necessary to put railings around every high place and warning labels on everything that could possibly hurt anyone if misused. Stupid people do stupid things everywhere, blindly doing something just because someone else did it and didn't explicitly warn you not to, that's on you. 

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2018, 07:04:48 am »
Electroboom is a proper engineer and he knows exactly what he's doing. He's also showing the many things that can go wrong, albeit in a humorous fashion.

Like almost killing himself for real on his 1M sub video!

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2018, 11:57:58 am »
Electroboom is a proper engineer and he knows exactly what he's doing. He's also showing the many things that can go wrong, albeit in a humorous fashion.

Which one was that? I hope not the one where the Jacob's ladder fell on him.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2018, 06:40:42 pm »
No expert is immune. ;D

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 06:52:01 am »
Shit...I swear I watched that in incognito, but yet I got a live one here (pun intended).

Edit: notice the finger placement... >:D :popcorn:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 06:56:11 am »

Yes, and he grabbed both wires, connected to a microwave oven transformer.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »

Yes, and he grabbed both wires, connected to a microwave oven transformer.

I suspect that one was both staged and there was quite a bit of the "sparking" added in post-production.

Had he really grabbed both poles of the transformer connected to mains (as the video purported to do), I don't think we would have seen more videos of him afterwards. ~4kV across the chest from a high current capable source is no peanuts.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2019, 08:58:26 pm »
 The Centech meter really makes it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf