Author Topic: Tesla-killer EV being developed in UK  (Read 9729 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Tesla-killer EV being developed in UK
« on: October 22, 2020, 11:58:01 am »
Clueless on sooooo many levels.....

https://youtu.be/acs2PF5LczE
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Simon_RL

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Tesla-killer EV being developed in UK
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 01:37:48 pm »
Yeah, but why do you link it? It has 92 views, two of which is us, nobody is talking about this, and the guy is obviously working from a shed. Just move on.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:24:01 pm »
If the standard of engineering is up there with quality of his video production he'll have no worries.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 08:08:36 pm »
Yeah, but why do you link it?

Bait and switch. Forty-five mins later I realise I've watched 5 dyno test videos which linked from that (the Ebay special lost 10hp instead of gaining same).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 08:12:09 pm »
These guys have more clue

The following users thanked this post: srb1954

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 02:41:01 pm »
I mean it's not offensively bad, the guy has certainly spent alot of money on this project of his, but....
The problem i see is that he thinks his vehicle is better than a tesla because it has more range for the same cost, without taking into account that for the price of a tesla you also get the comfort, the crash protection, the collision avoidance protection, the parking assistance, the engineering, the etc. etc. etc.
But his vehicle is just a honkin' great lead battery on wheels, when you look at the suspension there's dual shocks & springs on each wheel just to keep this thing off the ground. Imagine crashing with this thing, yikes.  |O
I watched the video and he's not stupid, perhaps overly ambitious.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 02:50:41 pm »
Yeah. As I explained to him, F=ma. When M is high then F is high when delta-a is high (like in a crash or slowing down).

The following users thanked this post: Simon_RL

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 03:32:56 pm »
 :-DD :-DD :-DD
The comments are a goldmine.
Also i've changed my opinion, this guy is just forcing himself into delusion.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 03:38:21 pm »
He's deleted/reported a whole bunch of comments as well.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 04:06:25 pm »
Yeah i've noticed he's deleted the Signal Path's comments.  ???

Also according to him he's being funded by the African government??  :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 04:29:31 pm »
That’s probably bullshit from him  :-DD

Offline AkiTaiyo

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 04:35:00 pm »
Reminds me of the old electric milk float for some reason. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_float)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 06:41:46 pm »
Yeah i've noticed he's deleted the Signal Path's comments.  ???

Probably when he looked up who Shariar was, after calling him an idiot...
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 06:46:44 pm »
Sounds about right. He’d make a good politician. Which is probably a good backup career as you don’t have to be good at anything for that other than accidentally acting as a laundering front for foreigners. He may be qualified on that one.

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 07:56:45 pm »
I like the idea. Maybe it does weigh 3500kg, so what?
Not going into the public relations part, the technical part has its merits.

The final cost of an EV is the EV purchase price plus the running cost, mainly fuel and maintenance.
For a Joe Average it does not make any difference if the EV is cheap and has high energy consumption or the other way around. A customer does not care how much the car weighs. What is important is the ride comfort and safety, and I would not exagerate everyone needs 5s to 100km/h, definitely not me. So instead of relying on high energy density batteries, low mass and lower energy consumption per km, this one is optimized for higher mass, lower density batteries, higher energy consumption per km, higher power. And it does not rely on lithium but on a sustainable 200yo technology.

The key point is that the purchase price is lower than competing offers in terms of performance/range.

As for safety, as far as I remember, breaking distance does not depend on the mass of the vehicle. It is a friction between a tyre and road that stops the vehicle. There are no rules saying that heavy vehicles are unsafe and light verhicles are safe. I suspec a frontal crash with production version of this thing would have ended up with disappoinment for Tesla S driver.

Quote from: mikeselectricstuff
Tesla-killer EV being developed in UK
Spot on.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 08:00:57 pm »
If it does weigh 3500kg then you need a C1 license and test here. So Chuck another £500 on top of your license for the training to be able to even take it on the road.

Regarding crashes I think you are probably misunderstanding. The Tesla S driver will walk away. The driver of this will be dead and in pieces. Mass isn’t the deciding factor of survival.

What we have here is some dark ages battle milk float.

Anyway you’ve got to be quite frankly fucking deluded if you think some guy in a shed is going to give an engineering led company which is a good distance ahead of its competitors and has production lines actually spun up a run for its money.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:03:36 pm by bd139 »

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 08:22:02 pm »
I like the idea. Maybe it does weigh 3500kg, so what?
Not going into the public relations part, the technical part has its merits.

The final cost of an EV is the EV purchase price plus the running cost, mainly fuel and maintenance.
For a Joe Average it does not make any difference if the EV is cheap and has high energy consumption or the other way around. A customer does not care how much the car weighs. What is important is the ride comfort and safety, and I would not exagerate everyone needs 5s to 100km/h, definitely not me. So instead of relying on high energy density batteries, low mass and lower energy consumption per km, this one is optimized for higher mass, lower density batteries, higher energy consumption per km, higher power. And it does not rely on lithium but on a sustainable 200yo technology.

The key point is that the purchase price is lower than competing offers in terms of performance/range.

As for safety, as far as I remember, breaking distance does not depend on the mass of the vehicle. It is a friction between a tyre and road that stops the vehicle. There are no rules saying that heavy vehicles are unsafe and light verhicles are safe. I suspec a frontal crash with production version of this thing would have ended up with disappoinment for Tesla S driver.

Not sure how well a 250kg chassis will hold 3000kg's of batteries in a crash.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 10:17:48 pm »
As for safety, as far as I remember, breaking distance does not depend on the mass of the vehicle. It is a friction between a tyre and road that stops the vehicle.

Wrong, stopping distance is directly proportional to vehicle mass and directly proportional to the square of vehicle velocity. There is a maximum force that any given tyre can exert before it skids, tyres do not follow the simple linear coefficient of friction \$\mu\$  that you learned about in junior physics. Shortest braking distance is achieved when you are braking enough to just keep under that break-away force - hence why we have ABS braking systems, to minimise stopping distance while avoiding skidding.

Given: \$m\$ is vehicle mass, \$F_{max}\$ = maximum braking force before breakaway, \$v\$ is vehicle initial velocity and \$d\$ is stopping distance \$ F_{max} \times d = \frac{1}{2} mv^2\$.

There are no rules saying that heavy vehicles are unsafe and light verhicles are safe

The fact that driving licenses come with permitted weight classes in most places would suggest that there are risks associated with heaver vehicles that make them less safe, and therefore necessitate a more qualified driver. In the EU the standard 'car' license stops at a gross vehicle weight of 3500 kg.

Edits: Mathjax without preview!  :(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 10:23:49 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Alti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 10:38:36 pm »
As for safety, as far as I remember, breaking distance does not depend on the mass of the vehicle. It is a friction between a tyre and road that stops the vehicle.
Wrong, stopping distance is directly proportional to vehicle mass and directly proportional to the square of vehicle velocity. (..)
That is very interesting what you say. I must have been busy with sth else during that lesson.
Quote from: Cerebus
The fact that driving licenses come with permitted weight classes in most places would suggest that there are risks associated with heaver vehicles(..)
Now I understand why people buy heavy SUVs or sub 3500kg trucks. Clearly they risk a lot and cannot afford buying 900kg minis.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 11:05:37 pm »
Quote from: Cerebus
The fact that driving licenses come with permitted weight classes in most places would suggest that there are risks associated with heaver vehicles(..)
Now I understand why people buy heavy SUVs or sub 3500kg trucks. Clearly they risk a lot and cannot afford buying 900kg minis.
People buy big cars to show off most of the time.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 11:06:28 pm »
Exactly that.

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 08:52:38 am »
The fact that driving licenses come with permitted weight classes in most places would suggest that there are risks associated with heaver vehicles that make them less safe, and therefore necessitate a more qualified driver. In the EU the standard 'car' license stops at a gross vehicle weight of 3500 kg.

Funny enough, the older "Class 3" (standard car permit in Germany until about 2 decades or so ago), allows for *much* more. Up to 12 tons, actually (7.5 tons truck, plus trailer).
I think the weight classes are more of a "size" thing - the couple of times I drove a 5t and once a 7.5t were really, really scary. Driving is not difficult in itself, but the roads are so narrow, especially in towns, you have to permanently check, if you are still within the road markings and don't bump into anything that's a bit wider than a normal car. It's a good idea to require special training on those nowadays.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 10:45:29 am »
Yup. I think it's size and weight. You lose control of a 2 tonne car on a corner you're gonna demolish someone's garden wall, lose control of 12 tonnes at the same speed and you're going to demolish six times as much, which probably means the house.

I too have a grandfathered in C1E licence from the pre 1996 regime. It was rather silly letting people have a licence where they passed a test that could be taken in car that could be as little as 1t and physically small and then could immediately in theory go and legally drive a huge 7.5t panel van + 750kg trailer or 3.5t tractor unit + trailer with a GVW of 12t - without even having proved they can drive anything with a trailer, let alone anything that big.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 04:14:36 pm »
 :palm:
He's the king of the Dunning-Kruger hill.
Is he really controlling the speed and steering from a tablet? |O

From his website:
Turbo Electric invites anyone to share in this future vision simply by clicking the paypal link below to purchase shares.
They are currently fixed at 100pence per share, which is a pre-IPO price and you can own as many as you like.

There are 1,000,000 shares in total available, so if you purchase
e.g. 10,000 shares (at £10,000) you will own 1% of Turbo Electric.

After IPO the price will change and will be set by market as with normal share trading,
but you will still own the same proportion of Turbo Electric.

Question:
Can you short pre-IPO?

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 09:28:41 pm »
:palm:
He's the king of the Dunning-Kruger hill.
Is he really controlling the speed and steering from a tablet? |O

As far as i can tell it will be drive-by-wire, steer-by-wire and even brake-by-wire  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf