Author Topic: The Amazing Tesla Bot!  (Read 3313 times)

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
The Amazing Tesla Bot!
« on: October 10, 2022, 11:57:20 pm »
The quick rundown...

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: The Amazing Tesla Bot!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 02:15:33 am »
I thought at first that the legs looked like they didn't move.
8:51 Then a Hyperloop tunnel vision thing in front of it but with more lights.

Offline Helio_Centra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 06:20:30 am »
What they did unveil at the AI event was impressive, but way behind Boston Dynamics.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 06:40:11 am »
What they unveiled was mostly about AI. How they make it perceive and interact with real world, not to show that it walks nicely. Also how they try to make a cheap yet capable robot. It was a first prototype they made in less than a year, so what should you expect? Atlas from Boston dynamics is the result of development which lasted at least 2 decades. Yes, they made it to walk nicely, jump and dance. They are the best in this regard. Although I bet they needed hell a lot of shots for those acrobatics videos. What they lack is perception and suitability for mass production. Even Spot robot in its most basic form is 4 times more expensive than target price for Tesla bot. BTW you may not noticed but AI day is mostly an engineer hiring event, they show technology in development and ask talented engineers to jump in. Not some marketing event where they unveil new products for sale.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 08:24:46 am »
It's really too soon to draw much of any conclusions about Tesla Bot other than "Good progress for 6 months of work starting from nothing".

AI day next year should be interesting. We need more data points to see how rapidly they are progressing vs Boston Dynamics.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:28:31 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 06:43:00 pm »
Yes, point is, they are accomplishing more in a relatively short time than pretty much all others have in sometimes decades. So you may or may not like Elon Musk (which seems to be yet another point of division these days), but you can't deny the output of all those projects. Now is that useful? That's a different question. If you're asking that question, may as well ponder it also for all other companies such as Boston Dynamics.

I personally find many of those projects borderline on ethics, but as Musk has said many times, you just can't stop this train, so you may as well jump on the bandwagon and try to make a difference. Not sure I'm in full agreement with this approach, but that's another story.

I think most of those current tech trends (AI, advanced robots, etc) are Pandora's boxes that are likely to lead to more dependance, less freedom and all in all are great tools for the totalitarian regimes that are clearly coming up. But that's again nothing specific to what Elon Musk does. Oh, and if this "bot" is not as advanced as it's claimed to be, big deal. It's actually a good thing.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 02:49:42 am »
We seem to be assuming that Tesla stated from 0 a year ago instead of Elon finding and purchasing outright an existing team and design which has already been developed to such a degree that he believed he would have something to show withing 1 year.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 05:02:59 am »
Can someone explain practical value of this bot ?  :-//
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 05:27:28 am »

It may distract some people from the Tesla share price tanking over the Twitter purchase fiasco?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Bud, Cyberdragon

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 05:43:20 am »
What they unveiled was mostly about AI. How they make it perceive and interact with real world, not to show that it walks nicely. Also how they try to make a cheap yet capable robot. It was a first prototype they made in less than a year, so what should you expect? Atlas from Boston dynamics is the result of development which lasted at least 2 decades. Yes, they made it to walk nicely, jump and dance. They are the best in this regard. Although I bet they needed hell a lot of shots for those acrobatics videos. What they lack is perception and suitability for mass production. Even Spot robot in its most basic form is 4 times more expensive than target price for Tesla bot. BTW you may not noticed but AI day is mostly an engineer hiring event, they show technology in development and ask talented engineers to jump in. Not some marketing event where they unveil new products for sale.

This.
TF didn't acknowledge the in-house developed actuators, nor any of the robotics research behind it that was developed in what one hardware dev on stage was "6-8 months".
You have ot at least give them credit for that. And it was indeed an excellent recruitment presentation, I'd want to go work there if I was into robots or AI or similar.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 05:46:16 am »

There isn't until you can find the killer application for it. That's what everyone is searching for.

Remember back in the early Makerbot days when 3D printers were going to change the world and there would be one in every house and under every christmas tree?
Never happened, even with a decade of refinement and the cost coming done to almost nothing. No Joe Average has a need for one.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 07:41:02 am »
The "killer application" will really depend how well they can do fine motor control and small object identification and 3D positioning.
There are many instances of production line steps where humans are still king over robots.
I think those are the jobs they are planning to go after.

Manually sorting of materials for recycling is one thing that might make sense.

If the robot can identify the 3D shape of objects it has never seen before while they're moving down a conveyer belt and calculate a solution to pick the object up for optical scan and sorting then it might find a good application in recycling.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:49:35 am by Psi »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 08:01:22 am »
If the robot can identify the 3D shape of objects it has never seen before while they're moving down a conveyer belt and calculate a solution to pick the object up for optical scan and sorting then it might find a good application in recycling.

You wouldn't use a humanoid robot for that.
Most industrial/commercial applications like that don't require the humanoid form factor.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 08:15:22 am »
One could think of the medical profession where a humanoid form factor would be needed and have it do simple tasks like removing a bedpan, if these are still used of course, or giving a sponge bath, but I would not want one near me until proven they are absolutely reliable. Before you know it, it yanks of your weenie :-DD

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 08:45:43 am »

You wouldn't use a humanoid robot for that.
Most industrial/commercial applications like that don't require the humanoid form factor.

I agree, but the difficulty in creating Telsa Bot is going to be something like 80-95% AI/software and 5-20% the physical hardware.
The fact their current version is a humanoid shape isn't really that important. Once they have a system that works the shape can be anything and the cost to change the shape is pretty trivial. It's all about the AI/software and its ability to learn how to do useful things with it's manipulators/hands based on what it sees and is told verbally, rather than the raw programming you would do for a normal industrial robot.

Once they get the AI/software working I'm sure we will see them implementing it in other formats, like standard industrial robots.
In fact I'm going to call it now. Within 10 years we are going to see Telsa making their own industrial 'KUKA style' robots.

I kinda suspect the decision to make it a humanoid shape was to attract the top most robotic/AI talent to Tesla because walking robots like Atlas are cool.
Elon likes to play the long game.  I think their ultimate goal is to develop the AI/tech needed to "level up" the robotics on their production lines. And ideally you don't want to be seen as building a competing industrial robotic business while you are placing orders for current industrial robots in all your new car production lines.
So focusing development of your robot AI into the "humanoid" category is smart. You get all the benefits of developing the tech without tipping your hand as much and ruffling feathers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:18:30 am by Psi »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2022, 09:13:37 am »
One could think of the medical profession where a humanoid form factor would be needed and have it do simple tasks like removing a bedpan, if these are still used of course, or giving a sponge bath, but I would not want one near me until proven they are absolutely reliable. Before you know it, it yanks of your weenie :-DD

You pay extra for that firmware option  ;D

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2022, 09:14:59 am »

You pay extra for that firmware option  ;D

That is what Howard of the Big Bang Theory did :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2022, 01:09:34 pm »

You pay extra for that firmware option subscription.
There. Fixed it for you  :P

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2022, 06:31:10 pm »
"Humanoid" robots don't make much sense IMO. I can see mostly nefarious uses for them, rather than anything good or useful. Robots for actually useful and beneficial tasks are best made in forms and shapes that are much better adapted than in a clunky human-like (but not even close) shape. The only benefit for companies developing them is pure marketing. Those robots somehow look so much more advanced (because they look more like us, which, come to think of it, is funny) than anything that looks more like a traditional machine. So that can get a lot of traction for nothing, except again possibly nefarious projects.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2022, 06:48:25 pm »
There was a video from a Japanese blogger that I recently watched when he checks in and spends a night at a street motel. They had two female looking humanoid robots at the check-in counter which greet visitors, give simple information and thank. The whole experience was, well, weird to say at least. Maybe we are not ready yet still for this.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2022, 07:19:01 pm »
I can hear you say "Get your head out of the gutter"  :-DD

But in the sex industry it might be a solution when the robot is more humanoid. But be careful to not do what Frank Zappa sings about here :)

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 11:49:50 am »
Good 'ole Frank.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 12:03:59 pm »
Yep, he made some great music.

The song I mentioned is actually the prelude to the one it should have been "Sy Borg" because that is the one where the droid gets plooked to death >:D

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 01:22:04 am »
Uh, I had been thinking...BEFORE the Frank Zappa reference distracted me, had been thinking:
   This world is gradually filling up, with (us) older folks, and that old 'Nursing Home' dynamic falls short.  People want to stay at home, where loved ones and memories linger.  Rod Sterling, (Twilight Zone host) probably tells that story best.  That 1950's TV Producer did one story, where the 'Robot' was a kindly old grandmother, sweetly playing and interacting with the kids and family (Mom had died).
   The 'bots' will be doing many elderly health care tasks, including security and patient monitoring, for signs of stroke, for example.
   'Course, I'd want any home robots to be safe around my own loved ones, but also with 'pleasant' demeanor, (as they fill our needs).

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 02:13:46 am »
If you think that these robots are doing anything but gearing up for eugenics then you're in for a rude shock.

:scared:
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf