Author Topic: The discerning audiophile's choice of proper speaker wire. ($35,000 for 2.5m)  (Read 39126 times)

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
Re: The discerning audiophile's choice of proper speaker wire. ($35,000 for 2.5m)
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2019, 09:13:29 pm »
Also, those "speakers" have incandescent lamps in the center.

Could those lamps have been wired in series with the speaker, to provide a sort of average-power current-limiting?  Given the nonlinear resistance vs Voltage, that might work OK.  Plus, it would provide a nice light show.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: The discerning audiophile's choice of proper speaker wire. ($35,000 for 2.5m)
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2019, 12:18:24 am »
Also, those "speakers" have incandescent lamps in the center.

Could those lamps have been wired in series with the speaker, to provide a sort of average-power current-limiting?  Given the nonlinear resistance vs Voltage, that might work OK.  Plus, it would provide a nice light show.

I think they are just there as decorative lighting. IDK if they modulate, can't be bothered to look up the specs of rubbish. ::) ;D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2019, 12:40:36 am »
Hmm, light bulbs as speaker domes... (at least this looks like it)... what a nice idea. :-DD
(Maybe it's better designed than I think, but if not, and they are indeed replacing the speaker center domes, good lord. :-DD )

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
A teardown of an 'Audio Grade' power cable...

...the conclusion, great conversation piece if you're willing to spend $20 US to get one

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Looking at the way he pulled it out the socket at 2.29 in the video it looks to me like it could work its way out.

Can that cause problems where it can become loose if nudged or pulled from the cable and not make proper contact?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
If they want a better connection how about they solder it into the wall  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
I will never thank enough bd139 for this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/wooden-electrolytic-capacitors/

To me, that is still the pinnacle of audiophile, DHTRob is the pope of the audiophile church.

If you selling crazy overpriced product to (idiot) people your sin is not so dramatic as when you waste your time and money in damaging component best case.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:25:30 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
I will never thank enough bd139 for this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/wooden-electrolytic-capacitors/

To me, that is still the pinnacle of audiophile, DHTRob is the pope of the audiophile church.

The best kind of wood for this, is tropical wood, like bankirai. These kind of woods are oily and thus less porous as pine or spruce. Porous kinds of wood may be used, but make sure that inner- and outersides are well lacquered to ensure good preservation of the capacitor.

https://www.dhtrob.com/projecten/elna1_en.php

Oh my goodness!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor

And never, ever open up the enclosure of your 10k audio equipment to check for the mains and audio out wiring. That would end up with a stroke.

(Then I like nice looking cables, though being technically pointless...)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
I am pretty sure there's a whole club of jokers who do nothing all day but feeding those audio expert funny project ideas. Which they promptly put out into the public for us all to enjoy.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your service, whoever you are.

Now, back to listening to John Cleese and Eric Idle having a chat.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:11:59 pm by thinkfat »
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Good grief...

Someone should tell him that capacitors sound best when encased in tungsten carbide. Or aerogel, that would be equally funny.

I'm minded to quote Albert Einstein at this point: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor

A guy in Japan paid to have his own power pole installed so he could get purer power.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
If P T Barnum was alive today, he'd probably be Emperor of the entire planet
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor

A guy in Japan paid to have his own power pole installed so he could get purer power.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/

The ultimate quest for audio perfection.

82 year-old retired lawyer Takeo Morita is a contender for the world’s most dedicated audiophile. Nicknamed ‘Rock Grandpa’ by his local record store, Morita paid $10,000 to plant a 40 foot utility pole in his garden that he has connected to the power grid to give his hi-fi setup its own source of “pure” power.

According to Morita, having your own power source eliminates interference that results from sharing a public utility pole. “Electricity is like blood. If it is tainted, the whole body will get sick,” he explains in a new Wall Street Journal video. “No matter how expensive the audio equipment is, it will be no good if the blood is bad.”

So that pole goes directly to the grid and not directly connected or influenced  by other poles shared with the public.

If there is interference from the grid that affects everybody shouldn't he might as well isolate it and install sine wave inverters with with banks of capacitors to smoothen it out a bit.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
0.01% THD inverters and DC power banks. Thanks for making my first million  :-DD

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
Capacitor hackers and super cable fanatics just highlight their foolishness  :box:  |O

A true audiophile would hire the whole orchestra, no wires attached  :-+  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Like this one the Dave once tweeted.

https://twitter.com/Koko_Prodanov/status/1209979438940741635
Dave Jones
The DIP switches are a nice touch, adds that air of practicality.

cjurczak
@cjurczak
 · Dec 25, 2019
@eevblog US $45.99 | 1PCS Elfidelity PC HI-FI Power Filter card PCI/PCI-E HiFi PC audio power purific
https://a.aliexpress.com/obxtHbRa

As shown in the figure, this is a new product: Rainbow-Sugar MaX (AXF-107), replacing the original one: Rainbow-Sugar II ( Elfidelity AXF-104 file alignment PCI / PCI Express).
Features and differences of AXF-107 update:

·  The biggest difference:   switching between PCI-E 16x and PCI-E 1x slots. Compatible with PCI Express 1X, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x interfaces and PCI Express 1.0 / 2.0 / 3.0.
·  Additional use:   TDK common mode inductance, muRata EMI inductance.
·  Continue to use: Sanyo SVPF polymer solid state capacitor, AVX tantalum capacitor.
·  Upgrade and use:  WIMA MKP-10 and EVOX MMK metal grinding capacitors.
·  New use:   DEQ audio series, Elum gold series, eLED BP series axial electrodeless capacitor.
·  Function change:  two groups of LEDs can independently control the color, 7 different RGB colors, or you can choose to turn off the LED.
·  Performance improvement:  specially for high-end graphics card (PCI-E 16x device) high power to be responsible for the interference of audio equipment and purification. Improve the listening sense of external USB audio device.

Please confirm if I can change the AXF-104 in your order to AXF-107.

5 star reviews:10
4 star reviews:4

I see it has got multi colour leds on there too see picture.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
0.01% THD inverters and DC power banks. Thanks for making my first million  :-DD

This comes close as a starting point.
https://emona.com.au/products/electronic-test-measure/power-supplies/pcr-4000m.html

Used by AC/DC to ensure their Marshall amps always have a consistent input voltage.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline pcolbeck

• Contributor
Peter Walker who started QUAD the high end British amp and speaker company once forgot to take speaker cable to a show. He sent one of his guys to a local DIY shop to buy some electric lawnmower cable and used that. For weeks journalists form the HiFi press were waxing lyrical about the amazing special orange speaker cable QUAD were using and how great it sounded before Peter spilled the beans. His opinion was that all speaker cable needed to be was decent quality copper and thick enough not to cause too much impedance. Don't think he would have had much time for cable costing thousands per metre.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
I wonder what the electrical charateristics of high end speaker wire wiould be if tested on a network analyzer.

Likely the exact same as any other similar sized wire.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
When I moved into my current house decades ago, I needed to run the cables from the amplifier down to the basement and then back up to the speakers on the opposite wall.  I went to the hardware store for 2x14AWG SO cable of sufficient length.  The kid at the store asked me (out of curiosity) what I was using it for.  When I told him, he asked "Where are your speakers, in Schaumburg?"

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
The only time I would not use random copper wire of sufficient thickness for the distance is if I wanted a flat cable like to run under carpet.  Then I would use ribbon cable which allows the interesting option of wiring every other wire in parallel for a true low impedance transmission line.

But my default cable is lamp cord.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf