Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 363104 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1025 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:18 am »
My first Sound blaster card, ISA 16 bit, I made a copper plate shield for, and put it at the far end of the ISA card slots, so the shield was only on the component side, the case itself making up the rest of the shield. Lost the ISA slot next to it though, as I used the blank to mount the copper foil, with a cardboard layer each side for isolation, and used a copper braid to attach it to the case. Dropped the audible RF noise a lot on the card though.

With on motherboard you are SOL though, as they typically either did not worry about any noise induced into the audio, or costed out the decent RF filtering during manufacture, replacing the RF chokes and the bulk capacitors with zero ohm links and nominal chip ceramic capacitors. Some boards you probably could reinstate the capacitors and chokes and improve things, but the best is to use an external DAc of sorts. Preferablu one that has a Toslink connection , as that provides really good RF isolation as the signal goes via a non copper path, though there you are also going to have design issues if the power supply for the DAC there is noisy.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1026 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:32 pm »

OTOH, any audio circuit built on the computer motherboard (or anywhere inside the box, for that matter) is operating in "hostile territory".  Most people who are serious about audio use external audio interfaces.  There are likely several effective choices that cost less than that board full of cheap capacitors.

Problem disappears when I connect headphones to the "back" (not really back as I have another audio port on top of my desk, connected with cheap cable). This card would not work, probably because the problem is flimsy cheap cables connecting hdaudio connector and front panel. So many things to go wrong in these, it's crazy.

Don't blame the motherboard, blame the case.  The front panel TRS sockets (for headphones and mic) are part of the case, and are not seen as a critical component, so the small PCB's and connectors they use, as well as the cables, are often very cheap with no shielding.  They are also often long, giving you a good 50cm of unshielded cable to pick up lots of EMI inside the PC case.

The rear connector however, is mounted directly on the motherboard (or on the soundcard if you have one).  This is seen as a critical component of the board, so the mobo manufacturers don't use cheap connectors as they dont' want customers throwing away the whole board because of one crappy connector. 

I'm not suggesting you should buy "expensive" PC cases - even the $400 ones use the same cheap connectors.  Ultimately, the front penal sockets are for convenience, and if it really bothers you, you could replace the cheap sockets and the cable with a shielded one (shield connected to chasis at one end).

Offline kjr18

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: March 21, 2018, 08:24:47 pm »
I have a Acer Veriton M670G case and Asus F1A75-M Pro motherboard. As this board has some fancy 90 degrees sata connections I tend to not do anything inside my PC unless it's really important. Just connecting hard drives was hard enough to take some time. Audio quality doesn't bother me much, as I rarely have silent headphones on my head ;D Also in many cases front USB ports sockets are crap too.

I suspect that plug-in capacitor filter board actually has a chance of reducing (or removing) that kind of noise, especially if you can some how locate it close to the audio circuits.  But 50USD seems like a opportunistic price for a simple concept.

OTOH, any audio circuit built on the computer motherboard (or anywhere inside the box, for that matter) is operating in "hostile territory".  Most people who are serious about audio use external audio interfaces.  There are likely several effective choices that cost less than that board full of cheap capacitors.

Inside that case I also have small high gain microphone amp, and I can't hear any more than normal noise from it. So it's really more of a cable issue and cards like these are good only if you have too much cash. Like most of things in this thread. By the way, anyone heard about Virtual Fuses?

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1028 on: March 27, 2018, 01:53:53 pm »
Did you know that from two LEDs, microphone and one switch you can make a homeopathic duplicator (with English manual on third photo)?
https://pikabu.ru/story/vyisokie_tekhnologii_alkhimikov_5803444

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: March 27, 2018, 02:13:01 pm »
 :palm:

I think a lot of people seem to think that merely believing something looks like it might work is science or engineering. Much as when I was about 5 years old I made my own spacecraft out of bog roll and cake cases, I genuinely believed that it would work in space. That was until my father gave that important life lesson of "looks really cool but it's art, not science or engineering" and told me what the latter were and how it all worked. This was rather exciting and whet my appetite for building real things that worked. I think some people don't get that life lesson.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: March 28, 2018, 04:33:59 am »
Did you know that from two LEDs, microphone and one switch you can make a homeopathic duplicator (with English manual on third photo)?
https://pikabu.ru/story/vyisokie_tekhnologii_alkhimikov_5803444

My personal favorite was the comment telling him to write to the SCP foundation. :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #1031 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:14 pm »
A homeopathic duplicator?  That's brilliant!  I've been looking for a product idea...

I think a lot of people seem to think that merely believing something looks like it might work is science or engineering. Much as when I was about 5 years old I made my own spacecraft out of bog roll and cake cases, I genuinely believed that it would work in space. That was until my father gave that important life lesson of "looks really cool but it's art, not science or engineering" and told me what the latter were and how it all worked. This was rather exciting and whet my appetite for building real things that worked. I think some people don't get that life lesson.

Was that after he told you there is no Santa Claus?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:25:38 pm by BillB »

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1032 on: April 01, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
A homeopathic duplicator?  That's brilliant!  I've been looking for a product idea...

What?? What do you mean, there's no Santa Claus??

McBryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000x mit Tapatalk

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: April 01, 2018, 03:10:46 pm »
[/quote]
I've seen Santa Claus.... or was that Santa Clara?

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: April 03, 2018, 04:26:42 pm »
I've seen Santa Claus.... or was that Santa Clara?
[/quote]Is that his wife?

McBryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000x mit Tapatalk

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:58 pm »
Stepped in this turd by accident: https://www.alivewater.com/

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron, Gregg, djos

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #1036 on: April 08, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »

:-DD "made in Canada by professional engineers with European background"  :-DD

oh boy, I needed a good laugh!  :-+
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KE7GKP
« Reply #1037 on: April 09, 2018, 04:19:26 am »
made in Canada by professional engineers with European background"
They would never get away with that in Oregon!   ???

Online CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1038 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:43 am »

:-DD "made in Canada by professional engineers with European background"  :-DD

oh boy, I needed a good laugh!  :-+
Nah, if you've ever seen a Hollywood action movie, you know that all the bad guys are usually blonde and have a refined British or Germanic sounding accent so I can quite believe it.
M0UAW

Offline Gregg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1039 on: April 10, 2018, 08:06:11 pm »
Holy Crap; I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.  Then I looked at the pricing and couldn't believe what they are asking for this voodoo.
I wonder how they can stop laughing long enough to even make this fancy website.  Do you suppose they have a shrine to PT Barnum in their offices.
The only thing missing is the internet link and smart phone app; but they probably don't believe in that sort of rubbish because:
THIS CIVILIZATION IS THE WORK OF MAN, WHO, HIGH-HANDEDLY AND IGNORANT OF THE TRUE WORKINGS OF NATURE

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1040 on: April 10, 2018, 09:16:12 pm »
It's just a damn pressure reducer pipe. The copper might disinfect a little bit...until it corrodes like all copper pipe will from dirty water.

That's not how a vortex aerator works at all, there's not even an air input! :palm:

And F***! Those have been voodoo-ized too! :scared:

http://bioponica.net/water-vortex-aeration/

There's no damn magic people! They just mix air and water for fish or plants! What's so magic about plain old OXYGEN?! :-DD :palm:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #1041 on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:03 pm »
Holy Crap; I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.  Then I looked at the pricing and couldn't believe what they are asking for this voodoo.
I wonder how they can stop laughing long enough to even make this fancy website.  Do you suppose they have a shrine to PT Barnum in their offices.
The only thing missing is the internet link and smart phone app; but they probably don't believe in that sort of rubbish because:
THIS CIVILIZATION IS THE WORK OF MAN, WHO, HIGH-HANDEDLY AND IGNORANT OF THE TRUE WORKINGS OF NATURE

Imo they are clearly targeting the anti vaxxer type morons - I have an aunty who'd love this crap, she even wears a necklace "to protect her from wifi" and grounds her exercise gear to release negative energy! :palm:

Thankfully her sons are both smart lads who got themselves vaccinated, much to their mothers horror!  :-DD

Online Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: April 10, 2018, 10:40:12 pm »
... and grounds her exercise gear to release negative energy! :palm:

To be fair, if you put me on exercise equipment I release a lot of negative energy, well, copious quantities of short, sharp Anglo-Saxon words...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: April 10, 2018, 10:56:22 pm »
I have an aunty who'd love this crap, she even wears a necklace "to protect her from wifi" and grounds her exercise gear to release negative energy! :
Wrap her necklace around your phone or tablet and then show her that the wifi still gets through.  >:D

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #1044 on: April 10, 2018, 11:14:04 pm »
I have an aunty who'd love this crap, she even wears a necklace "to protect her from wifi" and grounds her exercise gear to release negative energy! :
Wrap her necklace around your phone or tablet and then show her that the wifi still gets through.  >:D

I just roll my eyes and laugh, it just isnt worth my time to try and reason with her.  |O

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #1045 on: April 10, 2018, 11:22:30 pm »
Wise move.  People's belief in that sort of "product" very often does not allow for debunking.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #1046 on: April 10, 2018, 11:34:11 pm »
Wise move.  People's belief in that sort of "product" very often does not allow for debunking.

Indeed, ppl who exclusively rely on faith, dont care about little details like evidence and cant be reasoned with.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: April 11, 2018, 07:40:07 am »
I tend to stay away from those people.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #1048 on: April 11, 2018, 08:02:33 am »
I tend to stay away from those people.

Same, however you cant choose who you are related to unfortunately.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:53 am »
You can choose not to talk to them. This has worked for at least 20 years here :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf