Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 347198 times)

Offline GreenHW_GUY

• Contributor
  • Hardware Electronic RF Power-electronic
    • included if you specify a URL below.
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1150 on: May 14, 2019, 04:04:24 pm »
does this count as Snake Oil see attach, the source say it is taken in Australia
I Program with Solder

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: May 18, 2019, 05:46:39 am »
does this count as Snake Oil see attach, the source say it is taken in Australia
if our slithery friend has passed away in there, we may find some very cheap, strong smelling Elecronics on eBay

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #1152 on: May 18, 2019, 11:08:49 am »

It's Brazil, on the full image which this is a crop from you can see a label identifying the Brazilian telco whose rack it is.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: May 18, 2019, 12:55:51 pm »
if our slithery friend has passed away in there, we may find some very cheap, strong smelling Elecronics on eBay

Sadly for those of us with TEA tendencies there won't be any cheap gear going. To me it looks like it's near the end of shedding its skin. I would imagine that shucking off one's whole skin is an exhausting process and, poikilotherm that it is, it's found somewhere nice and warm for a quick kip to recoup its strength before finishing the job. At very first glance I thought that the shed skin was one of those knitted braidings used to bundle cables together.

Looks like a comms rack to me, particularly it looks like one of those that tends to turn up with a hodge-podge of different kit at a point-of-presence which, especially with there being a photo of it, suggests that some engineer on a call out for a fault or an install got a big surprise.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: May 18, 2019, 01:44:43 pm »
Is that a danger noodle or a harmless noodle? (Given it's aussie I'm guessing deadly noodle)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: May 18, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »
That’s clearly a lesser spotted fibre munching noodle.

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #1156 on: May 19, 2019, 07:23:43 am »
You need to buy some dell servers to feed the snake...

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
At very first glance I thought that the shed skin was one of those knitted braidings used to bundle cables together.

So did I. I wonder if it thinks some of the other cables are sleeping snakes.
CML+  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1158 on: May 20, 2019, 11:22:27 am »

Deadly to bandwidth and wetware.
M0UAW

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1159 on: May 21, 2019, 05:13:57 am »

Deadly to bandwidth and wetware.

Oh dear, what if it shits in the equipment? :-BROKE
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline GromBeestje

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:10 pm »
That's what you get when you code in python

The following users thanked this post: CJay, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: May 28, 2019, 10:49:58 am »
LMAO  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline MrMobodies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: June 01, 2019, 02:23:43 pm »
Came across some advert on the street.

Virgin Media Fibre Optic Broadband.

They show a picture of a Coax cable and they say the magic's in 'ere and I think it mentioned something about a cake.

Can't find that exact advert but there is something similar

"Fibre optic" but no fibre cable.

They might as well loose the "optic" as there is no light in there.

Docsis 3 is good enough.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1163 on: June 01, 2019, 03:03:38 pm »
TBF it’s virgin media who are branded lying cretins already.

300mbps means 10mbps apart from at 3am when everyone else is mid reboot for windows updates.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: June 01, 2019, 04:08:44 pm »
Then there were the "Fuse" brand earbuds I came across! ;D

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: June 01, 2019, 04:59:19 pm »
Came across some advert on the street.

Virgin Media Fibre Optic Broadband.

They show a picture of a Coax cable and they say the magic's in 'ere and I think it mentioned something about a cake.

Can't find that exact advert but there is something similar

"Fibre optic" but no fibre cable.

They might as well loose the "optic" as there is no light in there.

Docsis 3 is good enough.

Ughh, my friend is English and when he was talking about the internet providers I saw similar BS on their website stating how much better their "fibre" was compared to their competitor's "fibre". What was pictured was a Coax cable and a UTP cable...

Offline MrMobodies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: June 01, 2019, 07:13:17 pm »
Ughh, my friend is English and when he was talking about the internet providers I saw similar BS on their website stating how much better their "fibre" was compared to their competitor's "fibre". What was pictured was a Coax cable and a UTP cable...

and every other subscriber down the street has to share the cable.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:18:53 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: June 08, 2019, 08:30:16 am »
Well all I can say to this is that my street actually has fibre optic cable certainly up to the tap off boxes buried in manholes in the walkway, I saw then install the system and recently my node went down ad they had to replace it quickly as only mine had failed, everyone was connected and the cable he plugged in was certainly fibre.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:46 am »
Kailo, a pain relief band-aid:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kailo-the-future-of-pain-relief
How it looks like: cheap sticker, doesn't look very flexible in the video, and probably not dermatologically tested, with some sand glued onto it in a fancy pattern. They got already $791,038, backed by 6,560 people. They make probably something like 1000% profit. How can they sell so much of this?! If people report that it works, it is probably the placebo effect.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: June 13, 2019, 09:44:14 am »
Wow that one is definitely high on the bollocks-o-meter. Need greater regulation against medical devices with dubious claims IMHO.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1170 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
That particular campaign looks like pure woo.

But!

I'm not convinced it is entirely snakeoil, the surface of your skin is slightly acidic (sweat and sebum apparently, I just googled) so it could be possible to form a weak battery with dissimilar metals and the sweat/sebum being electrolyte, that weak battery may affect nerve endings?
M0UAW

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1171 on: June 13, 2019, 12:15:08 pm »

But!

I'm not convinced it is entirely snakeoil, the surface of your skin is slightly acidic (sweat and sebum apparently, I just googled) so it could be possible to form a weak battery with dissimilar metals and the sweat/sebum being electrolyte, that weak battery may affect nerve endings?

"What's inside Kailo" says that there is a carrier layer made of synthetic polymer (=sticker plastic foil). It is not clear, if this is in contact with the skin, or the substrate layer. But if it is in contact with the skin, then there will be no battery effect, because it will isolate the skin from the nano particles. And of course, they mention patents etc. all over the place, but don't write a patent number you could lookup. No serious company website either with an address etc. (just getkailo.com with a link to the indiegogo campaign). Not even the fake company team photo you can see in other snake oil campaigns. And no independent medical verification, like double blind studies etc. Such extraordinary products should require extraordinary independent proofs before they allow it to be listed, but hey, it is Indiegogo, no wonder.

It really smells all very much like bullshit. Once they shipped the product, if they manufactur it at all, the company will disappear to avoid the money back guarantee.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:51 pm »
Yeah it's basically electro-homeopathy

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1173 on: June 13, 2019, 12:39:11 pm »

But!

"What's inside Kailo" says that there is a carrier layer made of synthetic polymer (=sticker plastic foil). It is not clear, if this is in contact with the skin, or the substrate layer. But if it is in contact with the skin, then there will be no battery effect, because it will isolate the skin from the nano particles. And of course, they mention patents etc. all over the place, but don't write a patent number you could lookup. No serious company website either with an address etc. (just getkailo.com with a link to the indiegogo campaign). Not even the fake company team photo you can see in other snake oil campaigns. And no independent medical verification, like double blind studies etc. Such extraordinary products should require extraordinary independent proofs before they allow it to be listed, but hey, it is Indiegogo, no wonder.

It really smells all very much like bullshit. Once they shipped the product, if they manufactur it at all, the company will disappear to avoid the money back guarantee.

Sorry, should have been more clear, as I said, theirs looks like pure woo. Didn't mean to imply theirs worked, just that there's a possible nugget of truth to it
M0UAW

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: June 13, 2019, 12:42:13 pm »
The fundamental idea works (look up TENS) but the claims made by the product are clearly a load of bollocks.

Hence my comment about electro-homeopathy. If you dilute that electricity until it doesn't exist ... etc etc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf