Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 346514 times)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1175 on: June 13, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
But it has billions of patented charged nanocapacitors, this must be good?!  :-DD
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1176 on: June 13, 2019, 04:20:50 pm »
Most of the comments are from homeopathic nutjobs who will probably be Darwinized like Steve Jobs.

A few peeps are onto them, their defense is like a scared rabbit screeching. :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1177 on: June 13, 2019, 04:28:47 pm »
LMAO that's hilarious. I always forget to read the comments on shitty kickstarters

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1178 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:46 pm »
Pseudo-science regarding health, especially pain-relief is especially egregious, as it preys on the desperate. It's why I'm such a hard-ass with this shit. Woo regarding "pain relief" has had a surge of success (well, attempts) recently given the so-called opioid crisis in the US and anything thats electrical, is a marketers dreams because it means they can bring lots of numbers in on the advertising (numbers don't lie... right?). Microprocessor controlled, using deep learning, machine learning, and quantum tunneling.. etc..

Add to the mix things like "natural" (like everything in the universe) and "side effect free" (which is impossible) along with a not-too-high-a-price and people will buy it and think "well, I'll give it a try.. why not?".  It is why these product will always exist.  There will always be a market of those in chronic pain, willing to suspend believe if the product looks swanky enough, and we can't really blame them.  We can however blame those who fail to show any form of efficacy by performing trash trials.

The following users thanked this post: djos, Mr. Scram, bd139

Offline MrMobodies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1179 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:01 pm »
Pseudo-science regarding health, especially pain-relief is especially egregious, as it preys on the desperate. It's why I'm such a hard-ass with this shit. Woo regarding "pain relief" has had a surge of success (well, attempts) recently given the so-called opioid crisis in the US and anything thats electrical, is a marketers dreams because it means they can bring lots of numbers in on the advertising (numbers don't lie... right?). Microprocessor controlled, using deep learning, machine learning, and quantum tunneling.. etc..

Add to the mix things like "natural" (like everything in the universe) and "side effect free" (which is impossible) along with a not-too-high-a-price and people will buy it and think "well, I'll give it a try.. why not?".  It is why these product will always exist.  There will always be a market of those in chronic pain, willing to suspend believe if the product looks swanky enough, and we can't really blame them.  We can however blame those who fail to show any form of efficacy by performing trash trials.

I withdrew a post earlier about another email from Acronis but not sure thinking it might not be appropriate in that it is not all snake oil as it does work but the advert sounds misleading. This might be targeted for those who are desperate and believe all the claims. There are lot of wild claims like "Microsoft is ending support, you must upgrade" as if the world is coming to an end, "upgrade it is a snap", it'll be difficult with a lot of manual work so use of software etc.."

Acronis

Here’s How to Make Upgrading Multiple PCs to Windows 10 a Snap

Is your company one of the 35 percent that still relies on Windows 7? Then you know you’ll need to upgrade all of your PCs before Microsoft ends support for Win 7 in a few months. You also know that upgrading all of those machines to Windows 10 will be a costly, time-consuming process that requires a lot of manual work.

Acronis’ new article on how to Avoid Issues in Your Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade will help you discover an easy and reliable way to streamline your Windows 10 upgrade.

This 15 minute read will highlight the challenges you’ll face when upgrading multiple PCs and then show you a simple way to deploy Windows 10 to hundreds of machines at once, while ensuring user data and settings are preserved – saving your IT department time, money and effort.

That sounds to me like scaremongering rubbish.

I would have expected big companies to already have a plan in place and also Microsoft had that free upgrade option that was offered three years ago.

A few months left? Rubbish There is six months left and Microsoft are offering for those who won't or can't upgrade 3 more years of security fixes for a price.

Windows 7 Pro Extended Security Updates per device

Year 1 $50
Year 2 $100
Year 3 $200

So it is not like it is the end of the world.

If you look back I posted about another one of their emails about block chain and machine learning.

I got emails some week ago from that Acronis about machine learning and Blockchain "technology" trying to entice me into purchasing online storage from them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:45:01 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Nomad576

« Reply #1180 on: August 16, 2019, 06:14:30 pm »
Wow this is funny, I nearly lost it several times, bursting into laughter at this fellow.  One has to wonder if he ever took an earth science class in school?  Perhaps as a Freshman in High School, or even 5th grade science class?  Ah well, it takes all kinds.  Thanks for the post, yesterday was my 50th wedding anniversary and I am unwinding from the celebration.  Tomorrow our kids are throwing us a shindig to celebrate so this was a nice relief.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #1181 on: August 18, 2019, 12:17:22 pm »
But it has billions of patented charged nanocapacitors, this must be good?!  :-DD

And they've got electrolytes, it's what your body needs
M0UAW

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1182 on: August 18, 2019, 12:30:27 pm »
It is kind of impressive of how many people come up with dodgy products.
And even more that so many people fall for it and invest.

If this product really has nano particles in the surface, who knows if they
make it in to the skin and cells and do some bad things .... Hmm, I would not stick
this on the surface of my body. Unreal!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1183 on: August 20, 2019, 02:46:18 pm »
If this product really has nano particles in the surface, who knows if they
make it in to the skin and cells and do some bad things .... Hmm, I would not stick
this on the surface of my body. Unreal!
Their scam text generator is a decade behind the times... "nano-particles" were exciting, flavor-of-the-month hype shit before they became a polution boogeyman. They are still being added to products (titanium dioxide nanoparticles in transparent sunscreen) while being removed from others (Nivea face wash no longer has abrasive plastic beads). Copper and silver nanoparticles are used in some lacquer finishes to create antimicrobial surfaces. Agreed that absent any evidence, they are as likely to harm as help.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1184 on: August 26, 2019, 07:10:21 pm »
I was watching something about wood gas generators and this shit showed up. >:( :palm:

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1185 on: August 26, 2019, 09:15:22 pm »
Classic combination of 50-minute video + no succinct description of what he is claiming to do + "no one is interested in disproving my claims".

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: August 26, 2019, 10:21:16 pm »
Classic combination of 50-minute video + no succinct description of what he is claiming to do + "no one is interested in disproving my claims".

Plus the "amplify power by 5000%!!!" (worse clickbait than batterizer), and the comments that are all like "it's not free energy, it's back EMF harvesting!" which is free energy BS meaning they have no idea about thermodynamics. 5000% implies he thinks he's making tremendous amounts of free energy, not making a motor more efficient (the max thermodynamic efficiency being 100% which can only be achieved by heaters). :palm:

EDIT: It looks like Google is mixing in free energy BS with the suggestions on real alternative energy videos which is absolutely disgusting, infuriating, and looks bad for alternative energy (giving bad impressions for newbies).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 10:26:48 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline Syntax Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1187 on: October 31, 2019, 03:28:30 pm »
 :wtf:

Hello Australians, my name is Fuzzaki Jiz and I make over $500 an hour working from home. I full time college student and gender reassigned single father from Geelong. For my joy I signed up to the role of Cisco Meraki Cloud Administrator and next day received a check for $21,455,704.01. This online work is oh so very simple and only takes up a few minutes of my spare time. I never ever have to think what I am doing. I can even do it with my eyes closed. All I need is a laptop and free Starbucks wifi. Find out why earnings are exponential and endless [hyperlink removed by Australian Signals Directorate]

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1188 on: October 31, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »
Nice one. It's hard to tell why the "gender reassigned" info adds anything here. Is is meant to make the scam look more innocuous? :-DD

That raised a question though. Out of curiosity, is a "gender reassigned single father" the actual mother of the child? Or what? I'm confused. ::)

The following users thanked this post: Syntax Error

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1189 on: October 31, 2019, 03:46:59 pm »
I think we need to write a full on constraint network in LISP to resolve that problem!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Syntax Error

Offline Syntax Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1190 on: October 31, 2019, 05:21:55 pm »
At the moment mister Jiz is intersecting his complements. Which is something they frequently do in Geelong, apparently.

NOT ( :-*  AND  :-[ ) === NOT :-*  OR NOT :-[

For those playing with their gender at home:

https://www.eevblog.com/2017/04/19/eevacademy-digital-logic-boolean-demorgans-theorems/

If you really want snake oil, Kickstarter is the OPEC of the snake oil industry. Like this gem, the world's first bacteria killing robot. Seriously, before this droid existed could we have ever gone to a budget motel without being eaten alive by billions of Neisseria Gonorrhoeae or Enterococcus faecium baccilus? Krusty backbackers, don't leave your middle class suburb without one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cleansebot/worlds-first-bacteria-killing-robot

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1191 on: November 01, 2019, 10:36:41 am »
Sounds like a real money earner, but I'm not sure I could handle the re-assignment surgery.

McBryce.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1192 on: November 01, 2019, 04:25:41 pm »
Seeing as there is no Starbucks in Geelong listed on the starbucks website, how much fuel money is he spending to drive to a Starbucks for their free wifi?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1193 on: November 02, 2019, 10:42:34 pm »
Nice one. It's hard to tell why the "gender reassigned" info adds anything here. Is is meant to make the scam look more innocuous? :-DD

That raised a question though. Out of curiosity, is a "gender reassigned single father" the actual mother of the child? Or what? I'm confused. ::)

When a bad tranny lets the magic smoke out. >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf