Products > Dodgy Technology

Snake oil

<< < (247/247)

helius:

--- Quote from: BU508A on August 25, 2021, 12:31:42 pm ---We need a LaTeX plugin for SMF ...

Edit:
Oh wow! How did you found out how to format your equation?   :o  ???

--- End quote ---
There is a LaTeX plugin, it's called MathJax. (And it slows down page load significantly on older computers, but that's life.)
To learn what LaTeX macros were needed, I used this page: https://www.onemathematicalcat.org/MathJaxDocumentation/TeXSyntax.htm

You can create an equation in "display" mode by enclosing it in a pair of double-dollarsigns. I think for "inline" math mode you enclose it in a pair of backslash-dollarsigns. The way to write atomic mass-number symbols is interesting (many nested {} groups)

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: helius on August 24, 2021, 07:58:39 am ---
--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on August 23, 2021, 10:19:16 pm ---
--- Quote from: FredZ777 on April 26, 2021, 02:47:25 pm ---His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.

--- End quote ---

Your physics seems to be quite rusty. Of course exactly this transmutation goes on in a supernova, but it does not need those conditions. Quite possibly you even have some electronics around inside which this transmutation happens!

Nickel isotopes with atomic numbers 63, 65 and higher are beta type radioactive, and therefore decay to copper quite a(u)tomatically. In fact, Ni63 was used in gas discharge tube type surge protectors, the radioactivity serves to improve trigger time. In old electronics items you may find some, and have a process going on in your hands that you believe could not happen in a supernova. ;D

--- End quote ---
Every atom of nickel in the universe has the same atomic number: 28. Atomic number 63 is europium.
--- End quote ---

My most sincere apologies for picking the wrong word. I'd like to see you infallible writing in your second language. But I have a feeling, that except you everybody else in this forum understood what I wanted to say.

--- Quote ---Radioactive decay is not a nuclear reaction. By the universally accepted definition of a reaction there must be at least two reagents.

--- End quote ---

Oooh, we have an inch pincher.  :palm:
Sorry, but beta decay is initiated by vacuum fluctuations of the electron and neutrino fields. There is your second reagent.

Google has quite a few hits for the word couple "radioactive reaction", some in scholarly text books ...  :-//

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: Cerebus on August 24, 2021, 12:44:29 pm ---Strictly that should be written 63Ni to indicate the isotope. "Nickel 63" is more likely to indicate the name of some Heavy/Thrash Metal band.  :)

--- End quote ---

I had not known how to write superscripts. But your code shows me how to. But no guarantee that I'll remember, I'm active in too many forums that do not support this feature, or implement it in a completely different way.  :)

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: helius on August 25, 2021, 12:26:12 pm ---
--- Quote from: Cerebus on August 24, 2021, 12:49:46 pm ---63Ni <=> 63Cu + ß-

Not a nuclear reaction eh?
--- End quote ---
Simple, comforting, and completely wrong. The "reaction" you have written is a violation of lepton conservation.

--- End quote ---

Leptons are not conserved. Their number is. (Wanna beat me in nitpicking?  ;) )

What is really relevant is the fact that without the neutrino, energy conservation would be violated. That is much more fundamental than lepton number conservation, which might be only approximate, for instance in the case the double-beta decay is observed and proves the neutrino field to be Majorana.

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on August 23, 2021, 10:19:16 pm ---
--- Quote from: FredZ777 on April 26, 2021, 02:47:25 pm ---His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.

--- End quote ---

Your physics seems to be quite rusty. Of course exactly this transmutation goes on in a supernova, but it does not need those conditions. Quite possibly you even have some electronics around inside which this transmutation happens!

Nickel isotopes with atomic numbers 63, 65 and higher are beta type radioactive, and therefore decay to copper quite a(u)tomatically. In fact, Ni63 was used in gas discharge tube type surge protectors, the radioactivity serves to improve trigger time. In old electronics items you may find some, and have a process going on in your hands that you believe could not happen in a supernova. ;D

--- End quote ---

I would have believed EEVblog people would be more interested in these nuclides being used in surge protectors. Instead I get flamed for forgetting to write a single word ("atomic mass number" becomes "atomic number"), and "using" the word "reaction" where in fact I did not even write the word. Is this a philology (language) forum? I very much hope not!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version