Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 352221 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #950 on: November 07, 2017, 08:18:50 pm »
Yeah I’ll admit that I was an early windows phone adopter and had WP7 and 8 handsets. At the time they were pretty good. WP8.1 and WP1 were turds though.

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: November 07, 2017, 09:27:08 pm »
Well I was more concerned personally with desktop machines and yes there was a some very flaky releases of the Windows OS but at least you had a choice of if you wanted to update or not. I have some desktops still running windows XP to support older types of programs that are still perfectly capable pieces of software and so are the desktops, some running Windows 7, one running Windows 10, one laptop running XP and another with Windows 10 on it. Of course if I wanted to take 10 of my desktop and revert back to XP or 7 I can do so with reasonable ease, in fact I have just purchased some new copies of XP and 7 for the purpose that I can swap them about easily, is the same true for MB's

With Android, yes I agree that updates is left with the makers of the device to implement, it means that if they decide not to actively support it with updates any longer, you are still left with a workable phone / tablet as long as the apps continue to support older versions.

Compare that with the Apple updates for their iPads and iPhones where you just get a message saying that there is an update available, you only find out after you have updated that it is a one way option, no going back and that sometimes the new system can turn it into a brick if the phone is old enough that the architecture cannot support the new OS.

It is also true that if there is a major update, that some of the not so old devices really struggle to run effectively on it and seems to be positively steam driven as the new system slows it down to a crawl.

My 3 sons and wife all went with Apple for their phones and tablets and have all suffered this effect so much so that they have been forced to update to newer units because the updates affected the way that they could use them. It has gotten so bad now that they watch the various forums for reports of how the new updates have affected older units and in some cases they have stuck with older OS's because the newer ones would seriously affect them. Two of my sons are still using IOS 10, the 3rd has just upgraded his phone.

I on the other hand still have all of my older Android Tablets and phones and they are all operational even though there has been no updates for them for years and for the most part, all of the installed apps are still supported.

I do actually own an official iPad Air, iPod Classic and iPod touch, the Classic has just stopped working and Apple will not support this at all, the Touch is still working as is the iPad Air which about 18 months old, running version 10 and there is an update to version 11 if I want to update it. It is working just fine just I'm not risking it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #952 on: November 08, 2017, 02:16:19 am »
I’ve never actually observed any slowing down. My 2013 MBP still goes like lightning. My 2010 MBP is still supported and goes like lightning. Only thing that got a bit cranky were the 32 bit iPhones but there was a massive architectural change at the OS level when they did that switcheroo.

Apple are supporting handsets that are 5 years old and computers going back 8 years.

To be honest we cycle all our hardware in the office every 24 months.

Android - a year or patches if you’re lucky, if you’re not, none! Windows phone - they just canned the entire platform. MS has also dumped support for surface machines that are less than 18 months old. Also let’s not forget windows RT. Hmm...

We have banned android handsets and windows phone ones it has got that bad. You get a managed iOS device and that’s it.

I think a lot of knowledge about the Apple ecosystem is rumour mill at best.

One  reason I dislike the Android platform is the poor state of end user support - it took HTC 18 months to update my phone to 4.0 and the carrier bloatware was horrendous. I eventually rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM whcih I really liked, aside from the never quite fixed Bluetooth and some other bugs.

Then I had to revert to the official ROM on the pain of losing my job with HP as they brought in security policy forbidding custom droid ROM's and made it an instantly sackable offense.

Living in the Apple walled garden isnt perfect either, but at least I never have to worry about my phone becoming abandonware 6 months after release and the carriers arent allowed to install crapware on my phone. I was also impressed by the support my old iPad 2 got, it had continual upgrades for 5 years (We keep tablets for a long time in our family, phones get replaced on contract every 2 years).

I Also dislike the cowboy attitude Google has to app security, I see almost weekly reports on infested Android apps being delivered from the play store to 100's of thousands of users. I also object to Android being almost entirely a user information collection platform to help drive Googles ad platforms.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:18:56 am by djos »
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #953 on: November 08, 2017, 10:05:14 am »

One  reason I dislike the Android platform is the poor state of end user support - it took HTC 18 months to update my phone to 4.0 and the carrier bloatware was horrendous. I eventually rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM whcih I really liked, aside from the never quite fixed Bluetooth and some other bugs.

I think this thread has been derailed far enough that it should probably be split but...

Part of the problem with Android VS. Apple is that carriers have a lot more freedom to add their own bloatware and/or withhold updates on Android phones, it's more a carrier problem than a specifically Android one, choose your carrier wisely or buy your phone outright and go SIM Only and you get a better end user experience.

Apple for all the bad they can be, operate a tightly controlled eco system which is pretty much guaranteed to work well because they control it from end to end but the moment you step outside of that they wash their hands of you and you're on your own, there's no going back unless you buy back in which isn't cheap.
M0UAW

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #954 on: November 08, 2017, 10:58:17 am »
Part of the problem with Android VS. Apple is that carriers have a lot more freedom to add their own bloatware and/or withhold updates on Android phones, it's more a carrier problem than a specifically Android one, choose your carrier wisely or buy your phone outright and go SIM Only and you get a better end user experience.
Thats why all of my own personal phones have been SIM only and I still have workable phones as a result. Also as mentioned earlier I do have experience of both systems, and both are flawed in some way or other, end of the day you pay your money and take your pick, its as simple as that.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #957 on: November 21, 2017, 03:36:13 pm »
There are many sources of free energy only thing that cost in resource is to make methods to collect them. :palm:

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #958 on: November 21, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
Why are the editors of http://www.powerelectronics.com/alternative-energy/permanent-magnet-motor-feasible

believing this, are they nuts.

A Motor Driven Entirely by Permanent Magnets Provides Clean, Abundant and Inexpensive Energy
The most incredible discovery of the century!
Simultaneous attract and repel between two permanent magnets with opposite poles facing produces an attract-repel sequence without reversing polarity and can drive a motor without electricity.

http://www.kedronenergy.com
CML+  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #959 on: November 21, 2017, 11:17:10 pm »
Why are the editors of http://www.powerelectronics.com/alternative-energy/permanent-magnet-motor-feasible

believing this, are they nuts.

A Motor Driven Entirely by Permanent Magnets Provides Clean, Abundant and Inexpensive Energy
The most incredible discovery of the century!
Simultaneous attract and repel between two permanent magnets with opposite poles facing produces an attract-repel sequence without reversingse, polarity and can drive a motor without electricity.

http://www..com

Well, kedronenergy's video was nothing if not convincing, & it wasn't convincing!

Even if this silly concept worked, permanent magnets with consistent characteristics, convenient shapes & high field intensities do not exist in nature, & require substantial energy input to produce.
You could search for lodestones of just the right size & shape, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At best, if it worked, it would be a sort of "battery" -----magnets do slowly lose their magnetism.

And what the hell is an "atomic electron"-------I thought that all atoms had associated electrons!

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:00 am »
And what the hell is an "atomic electron"-------I thought that all atoms had associated electrons!
Those are the things that produce scalar electromagnetic waves of course.  ;)

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #961 on: November 22, 2017, 12:36:36 am »
Well, it doesn't surprise me that much.  More and more tech journalists are falling prey to such ideas as a backlash against those who say 'nope, doesn't work'.  Whilst the question 'what if..' has its place, it is dangerous as it can lead others to skim such articles and believe these things actually exist.

I can understand folks from Engadget or Gizmodo covering - and promoting - pseudoscience like the large number of kickstarter campaigns that can never, and will never deliver, but it is starting to creep into more technical magazines.  At least 'tech' sites and magazines are more commercial, for those interested in gadgets but perhaps not technically minded (as in, not caring how stuff works, rather than not understanding).

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Just because someone is an engineer, or a doctor, highly educated, doesn't make them immune to believing in things that don't exist, or have belief's others find silly.  This perhaps explains why many engineers believe in alternative medicine, or why some doctors believe that 'quantum technology' can help us measure calorie content of food, but when someone believes the woo that is in their field, and it becomes 'normalised' over time, yeah, that's worrying.  Case in point: a GP that drinks 'smart water'.

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #962 on: November 22, 2017, 06:47:32 am »

Maybe he was referring to the electrons that appear when a neutron decays? Or maybe I give him too much credit, and it turns out he's just full of it ;)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #963 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:42 am »
Well, kedronenergy's video was nothing if not convincing, & it wasn't convincing!

Even if this silly concept worked, permanent magnets with consistent characteristics, convenient shapes & high field intensities do not exist in nature, & require substantial energy input to produce.
You could search for lodestones of just the right size & shape, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At best, if it worked, it would be a sort of "battery" -----magnets do slowly lose their magnetism.

You have electrons without an associated atom though, so calling the ones that are associated that way "atomic" seems viable.

Online WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #964 on: December 23, 2017, 07:45:29 am »
Here is one making the rounds

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #965 on: December 23, 2017, 08:20:19 am »
WT, are you seriously questioning whether a receiver listed on ebay that's fused to draw a max of 690W can put out 4-1/3 times that?  All those blue LEDs magically multiply power output, don'tcha know?

:-DD

On top of which, it was designed in the USA and Engineered in Japan.  (Ignore the 'made in China' part).  That means it MUST be good!!

-Pat
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:21:53 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #966 on: December 23, 2017, 09:49:28 am »
3000W "PMPO" -- also known as "Purely Marketing Power Output".

Many years ago, I remember seeing computer speakers with "480W PMPO" --- containing two 2W drivers powered from a 0.5W amp.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #967 on: December 23, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
There's also the age old trick of making your product name 'suggest' it's power output, plenty of car stereos used to and probably still have model numbers like 250W, ISTR  graphic equaliser booster amps were the worst for it, usually having a couple of 10 Watt TDA10xx chips but a model number like 400WPCH
M0UAW

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #968 on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:48 am »
I  propose that we adopt the unit of the Home for audio power measurements.

Seems to work quite well for wind turbine sellers in convincing people of the efficacy of their products.   :blah:

Offline ZomBiE80

• Contributor
« Reply #969 on: February 27, 2018, 09:29:36 pm »

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #970 on: February 27, 2018, 09:40:24 pm »
I saw a review of some very nice Krix speakers the other day, the review was quite well written and low on bs but then I saw pics of his set up, he had speaker cables with silly little stands to keep them off the floor!  :palm:

I just can't take anyone seriously who thinks these have any use whatsoever!

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #971 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:13 pm »

believing this, are they nuts

The article was updated and answered my question. Yep, totally nuts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:13:52 pm by StillTrying »
CML+  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #972 on: February 27, 2018, 11:11:16 pm »
I saw a review of some very nice Krix speakers the other day, the review was quite well written and low on bs but then I saw pics of his set up, he had speaker cables with silly little stands to keep them off the floor!  :palm:

They let you sweep/clean underneath the cables.  That's a use. :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #973 on: February 28, 2018, 12:21:24 am »

They let you sweep/clean underneath the cables.  That's a use. :)

:-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: February 28, 2018, 07:31:34 am »
https://www.tvradius.com/ Total BullShit.

I am missing something? They don't say what it receives. There's certainly no Free HD TV floating around the airwaves anywhere near me. Is it just a fancy DVB-T antenna?

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:41:02 pm by McBryce »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf