Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 779431 times)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #950 on: November 21, 2017, 11:17:10 pm »
Why are the editors of http://www.powerelectronics.com/alternative-energy/permanent-magnet-motor-feasible

believing this, are they nuts.

A Motor Driven Entirely by Permanent Magnets Provides Clean, Abundant and Inexpensive Energy
The most incredible discovery of the century!
Simultaneous attract and repel between two permanent magnets with opposite poles facing produces an attract-repel sequence without reversingse, polarity and can drive a motor without electricity.

http://www..com

Well, kedronenergy's video was nothing if not convincing, & it wasn't convincing!

Even if this silly concept worked, permanent magnets with consistent characteristics, convenient shapes & high field intensities do not exist in nature, & require substantial energy input to produce.
You could search for lodestones of just the right size & shape, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At best, if it worked, it would be a sort of "battery" -----magnets do slowly lose their magnetism.

And what the hell is an "atomic electron"-------I thought that all atoms had associated electrons!

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: November 22, 2017, 12:01:00 am »
And what the hell is an "atomic electron"-------I thought that all atoms had associated electrons!
Those are the things that produce scalar electromagnetic waves of course.  ;)

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #952 on: November 22, 2017, 12:36:36 am »
Well, it doesn't surprise me that much.  More and more tech journalists are falling prey to such ideas as a backlash against those who say 'nope, doesn't work'.  Whilst the question 'what if..' has its place, it is dangerous as it can lead others to skim such articles and believe these things actually exist.

I can understand folks from Engadget or Gizmodo covering - and promoting - pseudoscience like the large number of kickstarter campaigns that can never, and will never deliver, but it is starting to creep into more technical magazines.  At least 'tech' sites and magazines are more commercial, for those interested in gadgets but perhaps not technically minded (as in, not caring how stuff works, rather than not understanding).

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Just because someone is an engineer, or a doctor, highly educated, doesn't make them immune to believing in things that don't exist, or have belief's others find silly.  This perhaps explains why many engineers believe in alternative medicine, or why some doctors believe that 'quantum technology' can help us measure calorie content of food, but when someone believes the woo that is in their field, and it becomes 'normalised' over time, yeah, that's worrying.  Case in point: a GP that drinks 'smart water'.

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #953 on: November 22, 2017, 06:47:32 am »

Maybe he was referring to the electrons that appear when a neutron decays? Or maybe I give him too much credit, and it turns out he's just full of it ;)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #954 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:42 am »
Well, kedronenergy's video was nothing if not convincing, & it wasn't convincing!

Even if this silly concept worked, permanent magnets with consistent characteristics, convenient shapes & high field intensities do not exist in nature, & require substantial energy input to produce.
You could search for lodestones of just the right size & shape, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At best, if it worked, it would be a sort of "battery" -----magnets do slowly lose their magnetism.

You have electrons without an associated atom though, so calling the ones that are associated that way "atomic" seems viable.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #955 on: December 23, 2017, 07:45:29 am »
Here is one making the rounds

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #956 on: December 23, 2017, 08:20:19 am »
WT, are you seriously questioning whether a receiver listed on ebay that's fused to draw a max of 690W can put out 4-1/3 times that?  All those blue LEDs magically multiply power output, don'tcha know?

:-DD

On top of which, it was designed in the USA and Engineered in Japan.  (Ignore the 'made in China' part).  That means it MUST be good!!

-Pat
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:21:53 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #957 on: December 23, 2017, 09:49:28 am »
3000W "PMPO" -- also known as "Purely Marketing Power Output".

Many years ago, I remember seeing computer speakers with "480W PMPO" --- containing two 2W drivers powered from a 0.5W amp.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #958 on: December 23, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
There's also the age old trick of making your product name 'suggest' it's power output, plenty of car stereos used to and probably still have model numbers like 250W, ISTR  graphic equaliser booster amps were the worst for it, usually having a couple of 10 Watt TDA10xx chips but a model number like 400WPCH

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #959 on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:48 am »
I  propose that we adopt the unit of the Home for audio power measurements.

Seems to work quite well for wind turbine sellers in convincing people of the efficacy of their products.   :blah:

Offline ZomBiE80

• Contributor
« Reply #960 on: February 27, 2018, 09:29:36 pm »

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #961 on: February 27, 2018, 09:40:24 pm »
I saw a review of some very nice Krix speakers the other day, the review was quite well written and low on bs but then I saw pics of his set up, he had speaker cables with silly little stands to keep them off the floor!  :palm:

I just can't take anyone seriously who thinks these have any use whatsoever!

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #962 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:13 pm »
Why are the editors of http://www.powerelectronics.com/alternative-energy/permanent-magnet-motor-feasible

believing this, are they nuts

The article was updated and answered my question. Yep, totally nuts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:13:52 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #963 on: February 27, 2018, 11:11:16 pm »
I saw a review of some very nice Krix speakers the other day, the review was quite well written and low on bs but then I saw pics of his set up, he had speaker cables with silly little stands to keep them off the floor!  :palm:

They let you sweep/clean underneath the cables.  That's a use. :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #964 on: February 28, 2018, 12:21:24 am »

:-DD

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #965 on: February 28, 2018, 07:31:34 am »
https://www.tvradius.com/ Total BullShit.

I am missing something? They don't say what it receives. There's certainly no Free HD TV floating around the airwaves anywhere near me. Is it just a fancy DVB-T antenna?

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:41:02 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #966 on: February 28, 2018, 11:46:58 am »

It increases the cable rating as its in free air and can thus deliver a purer sound to the speakers and a higher wattage as well, thats a real bonus is that  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:17:59 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #967 on: February 28, 2018, 12:16:11 pm »
https://www.tvradius.com/ Total BullShit.

I am missing something? They don't say what it receives. There's certainly no Free HD TV floating around the airwaves anywhere near me. Is it just a fancy DVB-T antenna?

Bryce.

Yes, it's for DVB-T.
Just conventional terrestrial TV Stations.
The Digital TV broadcasters we have in Australia, are commonly called "Free to Air"(FTA).
Of course, they aren't all HD, but many of them are.

Free?---- we don't have TV Receiver licences, so the National Stations ( ABC) are paid for by the taxpayer, & the Commercial Stations by advertising revenue, so indirectly, we do pay for both.

As we pay whether we use,them or not, they are, effectively, free.
You can certainly get better antennas than the one shown, probably cheaper

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #968 on: February 28, 2018, 12:40:14 pm »
Here in Germany you pay a TV license, but that only gets you standard resolution TV and there's not many of those left anyway. Anything HD costs extra. So DVB-T is pretty much empty unless you pay for a HD subscription (about €70 per year).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #969 on: February 28, 2018, 09:14:20 pm »

It increases the cable rating as its in free air and can thus deliver a purer sound to the speakers and a higher wattage as well, thats a real bonus is that  :-DD

You need to get a job for an Audio Phool magazine mate, I almost believed that!  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #970 on: February 28, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »

You need to get a job for an Audio Phool magazine mate, I almost believed that!  :-DD
So how many of these cable stands would you like?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #971 on: March 01, 2018, 12:40:33 am »

It might be true for some types of floor.

The wrong sort of floor could turn the cables into inductors and that would wreck the sound.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #972 on: March 01, 2018, 01:44:56 am »

The wrong sort of floor could turn the cables into inductors and that would wreck the sound.

Have you seen the Cables AudioPhools use? Those things use more shielding than what you'd find in state of the art RF / EMP hardened Military gear!

FWIW, here's the review: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-krix-esoterix-altum-bookshelf-speakers

and the cables in question!  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #973 on: March 01, 2018, 02:59:46 am »

Have you seen the Cables AudioPhools use? Those things use more shielding than what you'd find in state of the art RF / EMP hardened Military gear!

FWIW, here's the review: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-krix-esoterix-altum-bookshelf-speakers

and the cables in question!  :palm:

Fools, don't they know that hard, shiny surfaces like that floor for instance actually colour the sound and so they are not actually listening to the pure sound but slightly distorted sound. Secondly, the quoted frequency response of those speakers is 40Hz to 40Khz, why? I say why because it is a fact the the human ear can only hear frequencies in the 20Hz to 20Khz. That means that only animals can appreciate the upper infrequence between 20KHz and 40Khz. So not only are they missing out on 20Hz of pure joy, deep bass but the speakers are also supposed to to be able to produce sounds 20Khz above the human capability of hearing, why???

Thats proof enough to demonstrate that there are people around who are clearly deluded  and are easily parted from their money. And that cable and the fancy stands for the cable is another clear example.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #974 on: March 01, 2018, 03:12:44 am »
Fools, don't they know that hard, shiny surfaces like that floor for instance actually colour the sound and so they are not actually listening to the pure sound but slightly distorted sound. Secondly, the quoted frequency response of those speakers is 40Hz to 40Khz, why? I say why because it is a fact the the human ear can only hear frequencies in the 20Hz to 20Khz. That means that only animals can appreciate the upper infrequence between 20KHz and 40Khz. So not only are they missing out on 20Hz of pure joy, deep bass but the speakers are also supposed to to be able to produce sounds 20Khz above the human capability of hearing, why???

Thats proof enough to demonstrate that there are people around who are clearly deluded  and are easily parted from their money. And that cable and the fancy stands for the cable is another clear example.

Lol, I personally have carpet in my HT room simply because I dislike the reflections created by hard floors. My system (w/400w, 300mm active sub) goes down to 16Hz which you can definitely feel more than hear (which is kinda the point with movies).

but yeah the 40Khz top end response is pointless considering the only way to perceive frequencies above 20khz, is via bone conduction ... which would require you to strap the speaker to your head! :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf