Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 783515 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1075 on: November 08, 2018, 11:54:58 pm »
My new Kickstarter idea is for an IoT-connected self-filling water bottle, that uses biomimicry to sequester water pustules from super-saturated desert air with alternating nanotechnological hydrophilic and hydrophobic graphene layers on a pure copper substrate. Blockchain technology is used to assign H2O offset credits per use. Supporters will receive a personalized e-mail saying thanks for the money. Am I on the right track?

:-+

I'm not seeing any mention of AI though.

Fantastic: https://biomimicry.org/

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: November 09, 2018, 03:07:41 am »
Quote from: SiliconWizard link=topic=6952.msg1951615#msg1951615
Or synergy.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: November 09, 2018, 09:06:11 am »
My new Kickstarter idea is for an IoT-connected self-filling water bottle, that uses biomimicry to sequester water pustules from super-saturated desert air with alternating nanotechnological hydrophilic and hydrophobic graphene layers on a pure copper substrate. Blockchain technology is used to assign H2O offset credits per use. Supporters will receive a personalized e-mail saying thanks for the money. Am I on the right track?

:-+

Fantastic: https://biomimicry.org/

It's stealth AI, neither the campaign owners or the backers have overt real intelligence.  :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:34 am »

I'm in! But only if it gives 800% more water when I use Batteriser sleeves.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1079 on: November 10, 2018, 07:25:24 pm »
Or synergy.

Nah, synergy is yesterday, you have to use blockchain today or you are obviously so out ...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: November 10, 2018, 09:33:26 pm »
Or synergy.
Nah, synergy is yesterday

Synergy was, like, the 1990s.

Online schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: November 14, 2018, 12:43:44 am »
To me, he would have better lab cred if he was employing a Simpson 260 meter.
😀

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: November 14, 2018, 09:59:15 am »

Can confirm. I worked for an Internet startup in 1998 who's main product was called NetSynergy.  They don't exist any more and neither does their excessive pool of buzzwords. The product was a bloody excellent idea but the business side of it was hopeless. Unlike most of the things here where the business side is excellent but the product is hopeless.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1083 on: November 14, 2018, 10:31:45 am »

Can confirm. I worked for an Internet startup in 1998 who's main product was called NetSynergy.  They don't exist any more and neither does their excessive pool of buzzwords. The product was a bloody excellent idea but the business side of it was hopeless. Unlike most of the things here where the business side is excellent but the product is hopeless.
I just checked the registration date of synergy.com - 1992 by Synergy Software. In 1998, you guys were way behind the curve (another 1990s expression).

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: November 14, 2018, 11:59:13 am »

What was their product, was it software to control 2 or more PC's from a single screen, keyboard and mouse at all?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1085 on: November 14, 2018, 12:17:36 pm »
I just checked the registration date of synergy.com - 1992 by Synergy Software. In 1998, you guys were way behind the curve (another 1990s expression).

Hahaha.

What was their product, was it software to control 2 or more PC's from a single screen, keyboard and mouse at all?

No it was a CRM type thing. Think of Salesforce but in Perl CGI and with a UI that looked like a dog with a tapeworm had done some laps on it with its butt.

Not joking but it could have been really successful. I mean up there in billions of dollars territory. But the culture was so broken. Director was "my way or the highway" which would have been fine if he wasn't a crack smoking (literally) idiot.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1086 on: November 14, 2018, 02:02:26 pm »
I actually used Synergy in the past (the one on Sourceforge) for quite a few things.

One purpose was to share a big wall mounted screen in an office where there would be an live automated slideshow of sales, missed calls and messages but they can press a hotkey to move the slides or they can use their mouse and keyboard for anything else.

I couldn't understand at first how to get it working as I saw it in reverse but now I just alter the text file and that was much easier.

Offline wbeaty

• Contributor
    • Science Hobbyist
« Reply #1087 on: November 22, 2018, 01:35:37 am »

With ePaper retrofit meter face, so the red needle is still there even when power is removed.
(((((((((( ( (  (o)  ) ) ))))))))))
Engineer at U of W
http://amasci.com/me.html
Seattle, WA

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1088 on: November 22, 2018, 03:23:54 pm »

With ePaper retrofit meter face, so the red needle is still there even when power is removed.

holy hell, what an abomination! :scared:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1089 on: November 25, 2018, 07:35:41 pm »
Anyone got a message like this from New Egg?

We're sorry if you experienced any technical difficulties on our site recently. As a thank you for bearing with us, please use promo code: _____________  for 15.00 off an order of 40.00 or more placed by November 25, 2018 at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

Promo code is only valid on a single order of 40.00 or more placed on Newegg United Kingdom and expires at 11:59PM on November 25, 2018. Limit one promo code per customer. Promo code _____________ cannot be combined with other promo codes, gift cards or combos. Promo code may not be applied towards the purchase of gift cards. All returned orders/items will be deducted from the original purchase amount to determine whether the transaction qualifies for the promo code. Gift cards, taxes, and shipping are excluded in determining whether an order size is 40.00 or more.

Sincerely,
Newegg Customer Service

I didn't order anything from there and not for two years.

I brought a couple of sata fan enclosures.
Both of them broke before a month or two and they were not interested paying for a return.
It was the only place I could find them at the time.
Should have investigated their terms and conditions before buying from them.

That discount doesn't mean much in the way of customs and delivery charges for when it breaks down.
I suppose it is okay if you live near it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:40:40 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: December 12, 2018, 03:57:15 pm »
StreetSaw Hoverboards <support@streetsaw.com>
Wed 12/12/2018, 14:50
Last Week to Order In-Time for Christmas Arrival
Christmas is Coming!

Make Sure Your Big Gift is Too
Every year we are asked the same question, "Will it be here by Christmas?" so this year we're sending a little reminder. Our last day for guaranteed shipping by Christmas this year is December 17th. After that, the time zones will start dropping off day by day from East Coast to West Coast (where we're located). Christmas lands on a Tuesday this year, and while our preferred shipper UPS is delivering on Christmas Eve, they will not be picking up ground packages any later than the Friday before. The worst thing anybody can do for Christmas is procrastinate, yet for some reason we all do it. If you haven't already bought that "big gift" then now is the time to really start taking the decision seriously by clicking the button below.

It has to do with this:

To try and get me to click the link.

I can walk just fine thank you I don't need one.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: December 12, 2018, 07:48:38 pm »
How is that snake oil? It's just an unsolicited advert (the address seems legit). ::)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: December 13, 2018, 07:21:10 am »
Well it doesn't hover, it's got wheels.  :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: December 13, 2018, 11:24:38 am »
Precisely.

A hover board that uses wheels. I saw one a couple of years ago at someones house. They showed me it and it was supplied with a plug with no fuse in it and the charger was very light and I didn't trust it

Why bother using it when you can walk but I keep on forgetting that it is a toy.

On seconds thoughts I shouldn't have posted it under snake oil.

Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:30:18 am by MrMobodies »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #1094 on: December 13, 2018, 01:26:18 pm »
Yup it's a toy, and it's very fun. A group of 5 of us bought some back in 2015 or so when they started appearing and we all spent many hours on them. They still work and we still occasionnally play with them.

It's obviously not an actual means of transportation.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1095 on: December 13, 2018, 06:45:03 pm »
Yup a toy they may be but they are also a fire starter, there have numerous reports over this side of the pond about them being the cause of many house fires and trading standards officers have impounded container loads of the things because they failed H&S tests, the best place for them is in the bin. Also had a few users crushed under buses etc because they couldn't control them properly  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #1096 on: December 13, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
Yeah right.
As usual there have been a some unscrupulous manufacturers taking advantage of the phenomenon to push out extremely crappy units, but there are many that are perfectly fine.

I guess all iPhones are shit because someone made counterfeits too?  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1097 on: December 13, 2018, 07:08:02 pm »
Nope iPhones aren't shit because someone made counterfeits, The problem with them is the company's culture and customer policies.  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: TheNewLab

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: January 12, 2019, 03:22:52 am »
Some 'energized water' woo, seems to be a variant on the ionic footbath technique

The JING ORB is a breakthrough health technology designed to recharge your body’s “biological batteries” and in so doing, promote overall wellness by allowing the body to heal itself more efficiently by increasing the JING energy in your body.

To understand how the JING ORB works, think of each cell in your body as a miniature battery… and just like batteries, when your cells don’t have enough charge, they don’t function properly.

Which is where the JING ORB comes in.

By using the JING ORB you are increasing the charge on every cell!

In fact, research has shown how this technology has beneficially increased the cellular charge!

More specifically, the JING ORB is designed to create water-mediated bio energy from electromagnetic energy (electricity). It does this by creating a very safe and specific electromagnetic field in water.

The result is a biological jump start to the battery of your cells.

Here is the sellers page

http://wwwDotjingorbDotcom/

The link below goes to a debunking page.

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/01/11/jing-orb/

The way the promoters test their product is hilarious. The test subject holds a bottle of 'energized water' in one arm while the other is pushed down on by the tester. After this the subject holds a bottle of vodka, which makes them weaker...

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: January 12, 2019, 04:37:05 am »
The way the promoters test their product is hilarious. The test subject holds a bottle of 'energized water' in one arm while the other is pushed down on by the tester. After this the subject holds a bottle of vodka, which makes them weaker...
The arm push is a very widely used technique among chiropractors. See https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/ak.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf