Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 779199 times)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1150 on: May 21, 2019, 05:13:57 am »
That’s clearly a lesser spotted fibre munching noodle.

Deadly to bandwidth and wetware.

Oh dear, what if it shits in the equipment? :-BROKE
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline GromBeestje

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1151 on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:10 pm »
That's what you get when you code in python

The following users thanked this post: CJay, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1152 on: May 28, 2019, 10:49:58 am »
LMAO  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: June 01, 2019, 02:23:43 pm »
Came across some advert on the street.

Virgin Media Fibre Optic Broadband.

They show a picture of a Coax cable and they say the magic's in 'ere and I think it mentioned something about a cake.

Can't find that exact advert but there is something similar

"Fibre optic" but no fibre cable.

They might as well loose the "optic" as there is no light in there.

Docsis 3 is good enough.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1154 on: June 01, 2019, 03:03:38 pm »
TBF it’s virgin media who are branded lying cretins already.

300mbps means 10mbps apart from at 3am when everyone else is mid reboot for windows updates.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: June 01, 2019, 04:08:44 pm »
Then there were the "Fuse" brand earbuds I came across! ;D

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: June 01, 2019, 04:59:19 pm »
Came across some advert on the street.

Virgin Media Fibre Optic Broadband.

They show a picture of a Coax cable and they say the magic's in 'ere and I think it mentioned something about a cake.

Can't find that exact advert but there is something similar

"Fibre optic" but no fibre cable.

They might as well loose the "optic" as there is no light in there.

Docsis 3 is good enough.

Ughh, my friend is English and when he was talking about the internet providers I saw similar BS on their website stating how much better their "fibre" was compared to their competitor's "fibre". What was pictured was a Coax cable and a UTP cable...

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: June 01, 2019, 07:13:17 pm »
Ughh, my friend is English and when he was talking about the internet providers I saw similar BS on their website stating how much better their "fibre" was compared to their competitor's "fibre". What was pictured was a Coax cable and a UTP cable...

and every other subscriber down the street has to share the cable.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:18:53 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: June 08, 2019, 08:30:16 am »
Well all I can say to this is that my street actually has fibre optic cable certainly up to the tap off boxes buried in manholes in the walkway, I saw then install the system and recently my node went down ad they had to replace it quickly as only mine had failed, everyone was connected and the cable he plugged in was certainly fibre.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1159 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:46 am »
Kailo, a pain relief band-aid:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kailo-the-future-of-pain-relief
How it looks like: cheap sticker, doesn't look very flexible in the video, and probably not dermatologically tested, with some sand glued onto it in a fancy pattern. They got already $791,038, backed by 6,560 people. They make probably something like 1000% profit. How can they sell so much of this?! If people report that it works, it is probably the placebo effect.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: June 13, 2019, 09:44:14 am »
Wow that one is definitely high on the bollocks-o-meter. Need greater regulation against medical devices with dubious claims IMHO.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1161 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
That particular campaign looks like pure woo.

But!

I'm not convinced it is entirely snakeoil, the surface of your skin is slightly acidic (sweat and sebum apparently, I just googled) so it could be possible to form a weak battery with dissimilar metals and the sweat/sebum being electrolyte, that weak battery may affect nerve endings?

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1162 on: June 13, 2019, 12:15:08 pm »

But!

I'm not convinced it is entirely snakeoil, the surface of your skin is slightly acidic (sweat and sebum apparently, I just googled) so it could be possible to form a weak battery with dissimilar metals and the sweat/sebum being electrolyte, that weak battery may affect nerve endings?

"What's inside Kailo" says that there is a carrier layer made of synthetic polymer (=sticker plastic foil). It is not clear, if this is in contact with the skin, or the substrate layer. But if it is in contact with the skin, then there will be no battery effect, because it will isolate the skin from the nano particles. And of course, they mention patents etc. all over the place, but don't write a patent number you could lookup. No serious company website either with an address etc. (just getkailo.com with a link to the indiegogo campaign). Not even the fake company team photo you can see in other snake oil campaigns. And no independent medical verification, like double blind studies etc. Such extraordinary products should require extraordinary independent proofs before they allow it to be listed, but hey, it is Indiegogo, no wonder.

It really smells all very much like bullshit. Once they shipped the product, if they manufactur it at all, the company will disappear to avoid the money back guarantee.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1163 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:51 pm »
Yeah it's basically electro-homeopathy

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: June 13, 2019, 12:39:11 pm »

But!

"What's inside Kailo" says that there is a carrier layer made of synthetic polymer (=sticker plastic foil). It is not clear, if this is in contact with the skin, or the substrate layer. But if it is in contact with the skin, then there will be no battery effect, because it will isolate the skin from the nano particles. And of course, they mention patents etc. all over the place, but don't write a patent number you could lookup. No serious company website either with an address etc. (just getkailo.com with a link to the indiegogo campaign). Not even the fake company team photo you can see in other snake oil campaigns. And no independent medical verification, like double blind studies etc. Such extraordinary products should require extraordinary independent proofs before they allow it to be listed, but hey, it is Indiegogo, no wonder.

It really smells all very much like bullshit. Once they shipped the product, if they manufactur it at all, the company will disappear to avoid the money back guarantee.

Sorry, should have been more clear, as I said, theirs looks like pure woo. Didn't mean to imply theirs worked, just that there's a possible nugget of truth to it

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2019, 12:42:13 pm »
The fundamental idea works (look up TENS) but the claims made by the product are clearly a load of bollocks.

Hence my comment about electro-homeopathy. If you dilute that electricity until it doesn't exist ... etc etc

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #1166 on: June 13, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
But it has billions of patented charged nanocapacitors, this must be good?!  :-DD

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2019, 04:20:50 pm »
Most of the comments are from homeopathic nutjobs who will probably be Darwinized like Steve Jobs.

A few peeps are onto them, their defense is like a scared rabbit screeching. :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2019, 04:28:47 pm »
LMAO that's hilarious. I always forget to read the comments on shitty kickstarters

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:46 pm »
Pseudo-science regarding health, especially pain-relief is especially egregious, as it preys on the desperate. It's why I'm such a hard-ass with this shit. Woo regarding "pain relief" has had a surge of success (well, attempts) recently given the so-called opioid crisis in the US and anything thats electrical, is a marketers dreams because it means they can bring lots of numbers in on the advertising (numbers don't lie... right?). Microprocessor controlled, using deep learning, machine learning, and quantum tunneling.. etc..

Add to the mix things like "natural" (like everything in the universe) and "side effect free" (which is impossible) along with a not-too-high-a-price and people will buy it and think "well, I'll give it a try.. why not?".  It is why these product will always exist.  There will always be a market of those in chronic pain, willing to suspend believe if the product looks swanky enough, and we can't really blame them.  We can however blame those who fail to show any form of efficacy by performing trash trials.

The following users thanked this post: djos, Mr. Scram, bd139

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:01 pm »
Pseudo-science regarding health, especially pain-relief is especially egregious, as it preys on the desperate. It's why I'm such a hard-ass with this shit. Woo regarding "pain relief" has had a surge of success (well, attempts) recently given the so-called opioid crisis in the US and anything thats electrical, is a marketers dreams because it means they can bring lots of numbers in on the advertising (numbers don't lie... right?). Microprocessor controlled, using deep learning, machine learning, and quantum tunneling.. etc..

Add to the mix things like "natural" (like everything in the universe) and "side effect free" (which is impossible) along with a not-too-high-a-price and people will buy it and think "well, I'll give it a try.. why not?".  It is why these product will always exist.  There will always be a market of those in chronic pain, willing to suspend believe if the product looks swanky enough, and we can't really blame them.  We can however blame those who fail to show any form of efficacy by performing trash trials.

I withdrew a post earlier about another email from Acronis but not sure thinking it might not be appropriate in that it is not all snake oil as it does work but the advert sounds misleading. This might be targeted for those who are desperate and believe all the claims. There are lot of wild claims like "Microsoft is ending support, you must upgrade" as if the world is coming to an end, "upgrade it is a snap", it'll be difficult with a lot of manual work so use of software etc.."

Acronis

Here’s How to Make Upgrading Multiple PCs to Windows 10 a Snap

Is your company one of the 35 percent that still relies on Windows 7? Then you know you’ll need to upgrade all of your PCs before Microsoft ends support for Win 7 in a few months. You also know that upgrading all of those machines to Windows 10 will be a costly, time-consuming process that requires a lot of manual work.

Acronis’ new article on how to Avoid Issues in Your Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade will help you discover an easy and reliable way to streamline your Windows 10 upgrade.

This 15 minute read will highlight the challenges you’ll face when upgrading multiple PCs and then show you a simple way to deploy Windows 10 to hundreds of machines at once, while ensuring user data and settings are preserved – saving your IT department time, money and effort.

That sounds to me like scaremongering rubbish.

I would have expected big companies to already have a plan in place and also Microsoft had that free upgrade option that was offered three years ago.

A few months left? Rubbish There is six months left and Microsoft are offering for those who won't or can't upgrade 3 more years of security fixes for a price.

Windows 7 Pro Extended Security Updates per device

Year 1 $50
Year 2 $100
Year 3 $200

So it is not like it is the end of the world.

If you look back I posted about another one of their emails about block chain and machine learning.

I got emails some week ago from that Acronis about machine learning and Blockchain "technology" trying to entice me into purchasing online storage from them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:45:01 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Nomad576

« Reply #1171 on: August 16, 2019, 06:14:30 pm »
Wow this is funny, I nearly lost it several times, bursting into laughter at this fellow.  One has to wonder if he ever took an earth science class in school?  Perhaps as a Freshman in High School, or even 5th grade science class?  Ah well, it takes all kinds.  Thanks for the post, yesterday was my 50th wedding anniversary and I am unwinding from the celebration.  Tomorrow our kids are throwing us a shindig to celebrate so this was a nice relief.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: August 18, 2019, 12:17:22 pm »
But it has billions of patented charged nanocapacitors, this must be good?!  :-DD

And they've got electrolytes, it's what your body needs

The following users thanked this post: WastelandTek, bd139

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: August 18, 2019, 12:30:27 pm »
It is kind of impressive of how many people come up with dodgy products.
And even more that so many people fall for it and invest.

If this product really has nano particles in the surface, who knows if they
make it in to the skin and cells and do some bad things .... Hmm, I would not stick
this on the surface of my body. Unreal!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1174 on: August 20, 2019, 02:46:18 pm »
If this product really has nano particles in the surface, who knows if they
make it in to the skin and cells and do some bad things .... Hmm, I would not stick
this on the surface of my body. Unreal!
Their scam text generator is a decade behind the times... "nano-particles" were exciting, flavor-of-the-month hype shit before they became a polution boogeyman. They are still being added to products (titanium dioxide nanoparticles in transparent sunscreen) while being removed from others (Nivea face wash no longer has abrasive plastic beads). Copper and silver nanoparticles are used in some lacquer finishes to create antimicrobial surfaces. Agreed that absent any evidence, they are as likely to harm as help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf