Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 784300 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1200 on: May 10, 2020, 08:56:57 am »

I've considered getting one of these in the past, to try and figure out how they come up with such a nonsense capacity rating.

Not an unreasonable supposition. 900,000mAh: 500 cycles => 1800 mAh actual capacity.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1201 on: May 10, 2020, 04:44:28 pm »
Looking at the 'quality' of this gadget, maybe the 900AH rating comes from the 16,000,000 joules of energy released when the likely reclaimed and resoldered lithium cells spontaneously combust, in the users pocket?

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1202 on: August 08, 2020, 04:50:27 am »
Posted here for a little entertainment, have a laugh. Plz leave your CRITs, ,(I can take it).
   Creative forces can be rare, often needing a nurturing attitude.  After all, what is an inventor, and what makes for good inventing, especially in this Hi-Tech world... Questions come up: What makes for a good programmer ?
  Here is a couple examples. First, I present (my) 'creation'. Picture shows 4 straws, or straight sticks. I've termed this 'MINIMUM  WEAVE'.  Possibly, this construction exists, elsewhere, maybe not.
 A minimum weave created a stable arrangement, the sticks are all in one flat plane. 
Rick's creativity RULE number one:  "You gotta tolerate criticism, just part of the process."

Next, enclosed see my new plaything, a Mirascope, just arrived today. I still cannot believe it. That 'frog' up there isn't, actually. (Not endorsing product, here).
Rick's creativity rule number two:  Pay attention to wonderous things (many things Computer or just plain electrical can be).

AND, obvious but true:. Watch your P's and Q's!  By that I mean, keep upgrading your presentation, try to spell things correctly and update (your) terminology, if your particular field. Don't waste people's time.

Thank you. RJHayward :-DMM

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1203 on: August 08, 2020, 04:52:07 am »
Had trouble getting photo selected, sorry

Offline kerouanton

• Regular Contributor
  • Just curious about science, radio etc.
    • Sometimes I play with radio
« Reply #1204 on: August 13, 2020, 05:57:46 am »
In 10mn browsing the net, I found 5 different websites and devices claiming "anti-5g" protection... that's just insane.

On the last webpage I visited, I found another product related to water. The way they claim it's connected to the web server to change settings is quite hilarious:

"First Water Machine in the world to create frequencies that the user can change."
"Communication between server and Echo® H2 Machine is via Quantum Entanglement not- Bluetooth or WIFI"

https://healthyh2infusedwater.com/

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #1205 on: August 13, 2020, 09:55:06 am »
In 10mn browsing the net, I found 5 different websites and devices claiming "anti-5g" protection... that's just insane.

On the last webpage I visited, I found another product related to water. The way they claim it's connected to the web server to change settings is quite hilarious:

"First Water Machine in the world to create frequencies that the user can change."
"Communication between server and Echo® H2 Machine is via Quantum Entanglement not- Bluetooth or WIFI"

https://healthyh2infusedwater.com/
It's a fantastic idea.  Quantum communications... Star Trek's lineage...
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1207 on: November 25, 2020, 02:17:19 pm »
Just got pointed to this snake oil here. Looks like the Audiophoolery industry has made it to the PC world:  :palm:

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/elfidelity-axf-107-magician-pci-e-1x-16x-rainbow-sugar-max-power-purification-hifi-pc-audio-pc-filter-card/

Though they do need to work on their description to explain how it will make photoshop pictures come to life and make your 128bit MP3 collection sound like an orchestra and all the usual audiophoolery buzzwords of course.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1208 on: November 25, 2020, 02:27:50 pm »
Just got pointed to this snake oil here. Looks like the Audiophoolery industry has made it to the PC world:  :palm:

At least they don't hurt anything, and may just help a little bit to decouple some noise. I've seen worse. I've seen 12V SHUNT linear regulators marketed for PC HiFi. Imagine the sheer waste of energy. And also shunt regulators for NAS because apparently an HDD runs smoother will give out smoother digital bitstreams :palm:. Not only you waste energy when you are listening, now you can burn electricity 24/7.

Well at least you wouldn't have to worry about your PC getting too cold then and you'd have a proper excuse to add another 4 multicolour LED illuminated fans to the case!

McBryce.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1209 on: December 17, 2020, 04:46:00 pm »
And of course, another white website with low contrast text.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline KubaSO

• Contributor
« Reply #1210 on: January 26, 2021, 03:37:53 pm »
I seriously think that for $5k per cable it should be no problem to have it assembled by nude virgins and still make fantastic profit. If someone paid me a couple hundred quid as a teen to go to some private room in a factory to assemble some stupid speaker cable, I’d be the first in line, even in a blizzard (I’d stay clothed while in line, thanks).

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #1211 on: January 26, 2021, 05:34:10 pm »
Most over unity stuff seems to create wattage instead of watts could this be cause our confusion. No one knows how to measure wottage.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1212 on: January 27, 2021, 09:21:55 pm »
"Wattage" is a synonym for power used by the physics-illiterate. Just like "amperage" instead of current. "Voltage" gets a pass because its quantity has so many names... field strength, tension, potential?

Interestingly, the Apple System Profiler displays "Amperage" for battery charge/discharge. Bollocks!

Offline FredZ777

« Reply #1213 on: April 26, 2021, 02:47:25 pm »
For those who are unfamiliar with the great inventor "Doctor" Andrea Rossi (not a real doctor), this septuagenarian pseudoscientist is a convicted felon who spent many years in San Vittore Prison in Milan, Italy for various environmental and financial crimes. Once he served his time, he came up with a new scam based on "cold fusion" and "low energy nuclear reactions" (LENR). He called his cold fusion device the "Energy Catalyzer" (E-Cat). His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova. Next, he tried "proton-lithium-7 nuclear fusion," yet another nonstarter that he abandoned in AUG 2019. But before he tossed in the LENR towel, he sold a "1-MW LENR reactor" to an incredibly gullible and ignorant investor. When that relationship inevitably soured (because Rossi's "reactor" never worked), Rossi sued his own mark in US Federal District Court for almost US$300 million (!!). Not too many scammers sue their own marks. After the lawyers made as much money as they possibly could off this fiasco, the litigation ended in a walkway settlement where neither party got anything from the other.

Here is Rossi's bizarre "cold fusion does not exist" confession from his own rossilivecat.com blog:

Giovanni
August 22, 2019 at 9:41 AM
Dr Rossi,
Wpuld [sic] you consider your effect a form of “cold fusion”?
Giovanni

Andrea Rossi
August 22, 2019 at 2:11 PM
Giovanni:
No. I arrived to think that cold fusion does not exist.

At this point of our theoretical and technological development, after 20 years of hard work, we think that cold fusion does not exist. I am sorry, but I feel us lightyears far from the LENR community, to which we, actually, never belonged. My effect depends on atom’s potentials that have nothing to do with cold fusion or LENR. This, by the way, is clearly put in evidence in my paper here: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/330601653 E-Cat SK anf [sic] long range particle interactions. One thing I must admit, though: my work initiated inspired by the idea of cold fusion launched by F&P and my former works started from that theory, but after tens of thousands of experiments and twenty years of study I changed idea. Like Christopher Columbus, who thought he had reached India, but eventually it has been discovered it was America. We reached important results and much more important we are close to reach with a technology that with cold fusion has nothing to do. As a matter of fact, we do not have any fusion.
Warm Regards,
A.R.                      [Emphasis added.]

The most ridiculous part is that "Giovanni" is a Rossi sockpuppet, so this insane confession is an unforced error committed by a pathological liar.

But, the past is prologue. Rossi's latest E-Cat scam is a Magic Lamp that runs on "zero-point energy." If you want some good laughs, take a look at ecat.com. Talk about snake oil! Rossi needs to have "one million preorders" of this ludicrous device before he will commit to manufacturing them, so please order as many as you can afford.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1214 on: April 26, 2021, 04:06:46 pm »
"nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.
Well, except that any isotope of Ni which undergoes beta decay will wind up as an isotope of copper.

Offline FredZ777

« Reply #1215 on: April 27, 2021, 05:05:15 am »
Rossi's original LENR lie only applied to certain stable nickel isotopes. This is the original Rossi-Focardi non-refereed paper from 2010: http://www.rexresearch.com/rossi/Rossi-Focardi_paper.pdf. The idea was that a proton would miraculously fuse with a nickel isotope and form "copper." No beta decay was claimed. As early as 2012, it was crystal clear that this was a scam. Rossi provided a sample of the "copper" produced in his E-Cat "fuel," and the "copper" was exactly the same isotopic composition as natural copper. The story is here: https://www.livescience.com/18415-ecat-cold-fusion-fraud.html.

Aside from the wiring, another reason for suspicion, Thieberger noted, is the fact that the E-Cat's copper byproduct, which Rossi claims is fused nickel and hydrogen, has been analyzed by Sven Kullander, a professor at Sweden's Uppsala University and the chairman of the Swedish Academy of Science’s Energy Committee, and the copper appears to be in its naturally-occurring form, like what you would find in a copper mine. If the sample were actually the product of fusion, it would be composed of a very different ratio of copper isotopes (varieties).

Hence Rossi's switch to "proton-lithium-7 nuclear fusion," another preposterous lie.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1216 on: April 27, 2021, 02:33:08 pm »
So it was the specific thing of proton capture being unlikely, rather than transition because of beta decay? Fair enough.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #1217 on: May 05, 2021, 09:36:33 pm »
German website about 5dhyperwave (whatever that is...)

https://5dhyperwave.de/

Money quote (colour is from me):
"5D hyperwave® präsentiert eine Frequenz-Umwandlungstechnologie, die einer sinnvollen neuen Entwicklung im heutigen digitalen Zeitalter entspricht. Sie ist eine Schutz- und Vorsorgetechnologie für alle Handys, Smartphones, DECT-Telefone, Babyphones und durch WLAN-Router funktionierende technische Geräte. Frequenzregulierung, um mit dem „Ton der Natur zu klingen“, ist ein bioverträglicher Nutzen. Diese neuartige Schwingungstechnologie ist ein Vitalassistent zur Reduzierung der ständigen Reizüberflutung des menschlichen Körpers."

Google translation of this bullshit:
"5D hyperwave® presents a frequency conversion technology that corresponds to a meaningful new development in today's digital age. It is a protection and precautionary technology for all cell phones, smartphones, DECT phones, baby monitors and technical devices that work through WLAN routers. Frequency regulation to "sound with the sound of nature" is a biocompatible benefit. This new vibration technology is a vital assistant to reduce the constant overstimulation of the human body."

There aren't enough  |O to describe this crap.  >:(
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1218 on: May 05, 2021, 10:02:17 pm »
German website about 5dhyperwave (whatever that is...)

https://5dhyperwave.de/

Money quote (colour is from me):
"5D hyperwave® präsentiert eine Frequenz-Umwandlungstechnologie, die einer sinnvollen neuen Entwicklung im heutigen digitalen Zeitalter entspricht. Sie ist eine Schutz- und Vorsorgetechnologie für alle Handys, Smartphones, DECT-Telefone, Babyphones und durch WLAN-Router funktionierende technische Geräte. Frequenzregulierung, um mit dem „Ton der Natur zu klingen“, ist ein bioverträglicher Nutzen. Diese neuartige Schwingungstechnologie ist ein Vitalassistent zur Reduzierung der ständigen Reizüberflutung des menschlichen Körpers."

Google translation of this bullshit:
"5D hyperwave® presents a frequency conversion technology that corresponds to a meaningful new development in today's digital age. It is a protection and precautionary technology for all cell phones, smartphones, DECT phones, baby monitors and technical devices that work through WLAN routers. Frequency regulation to "sound with the sound of nature" is a biocompatible benefit. This new vibration technology is a vital assistant to reduce the constant overstimulation of the human body."

There aren't enough  |O to describe this crap.  >:(

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #1219 on: July 07, 2021, 08:15:24 am »
just like to add this little finding:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1220 on: July 08, 2021, 01:17:05 am »
just like to add this little finding:

This reminds me of two successive employers, who, distributed glossy pamphlets to their staff, claiming "everything was great", just prior to, in one case, greatly downsizing staff numbers, but neglecting to provide any way of doing the amount of work that still existed, & in the second, where the main shareholder/CEO decamped with a large portion of the company's funds.

After my experiences with the first one, I felt a profound feeling of "deja Moo", & started revising my CV.

As luck would have it, the banks were kinder to the company than I expected, & we got out of strife after a couple of years, so I didn't have to look for yet another job.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline MazeFrame

• Contributor
  • = != ==
« Reply #1221 on: July 19, 2021, 08:57:09 am »
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/super-charger-3a/

Who does not like a 300€ USB charger?
Never Forgive, Always Forget.
Perpetually Angry and Confused!

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1222 on: August 23, 2021, 10:19:16 pm »
His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.

Your physics seems to be quite rusty. Of course exactly this transmutation goes on in a supernova, but it does not need those conditions. Quite possibly you even have some electronics around inside which this transmutation happens!

Nickel isotopes with atomic numbers 63, 65 and higher are beta type radioactive, and therefore decay to copper quite a(u)tomatically. In fact, Ni63 was used in gas discharge tube type surge protectors, the radioactivity serves to improve trigger time. In old electronics items you may find some, and have a process going on in your hands that you believe could not happen in a supernova. ;D

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1223 on: August 24, 2021, 07:58:39 am »
His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.

Your physics seems to be quite rusty. Of course exactly this transmutation goes on in a supernova, but it does not need those conditions. Quite possibly you even have some electronics around inside which this transmutation happens!

Nickel isotopes with atomic numbers 63, 65 and higher are beta type radioactive, and therefore decay to copper quite a(u)tomatically. In fact, Ni63 was used in gas discharge tube type surge protectors, the radioactivity serves to improve trigger time. In old electronics items you may find some, and have a process going on in your hands that you believe could not happen in a supernova. ;D
Every atom of nickel in the universe has the same atomic number: 28. Atomic number 63 is europium.
Radioactive decay is not a nuclear reaction. By the universally accepted definition of a reaction there must be at least two reagents.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1224 on: August 24, 2021, 08:46:50 am »

Every atom of nickel in the universe has the same atomic number: 28. Atomic number 63 is europium.
Radioactive decay is not a nuclear reaction. By the universally accepted definition of a reaction there must be at least two reagents.

Ni 63 is an isotope of Nickel. The 63 isn't it's atomic number, it's the atomic mass. The atomic number is still 28.

McBryce.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf