Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 784000 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1225 on: August 24, 2021, 12:44:29 pm »
Strictly that should be written 63Ni to indicate the isotope. "Nickel 63" is more likely to indicate the name of some Heavy/Thrash Metal band.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: August 24, 2021, 12:49:46 pm »
Every atom of nickel in the universe has the same atomic number: 28. Atomic number 63 is europium.
Radioactive decay is not a nuclear reaction. By the universally accepted definition of a reaction there must be at least two reagents.

:palm: :-DD

63Ni <=> 63Cu + ß-

Not a nuclear reaction eh?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, MazeFrame

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1227 on: August 25, 2021, 07:37:32 am »
Strictly that should be written 63Ni to indicate the isotope. "Nickel 63" is more likely to indicate the name of some Heavy/Thrash Metal band.  :)

Yeah, but I'm too stupid to find out how to do those little offset numbers :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1228 on: August 25, 2021, 12:26:12 pm »
63Ni <=> 63Cu + ß-

Simple, comforting, and completely wrong. The "reaction" you have written is a violation of lepton conservation.

This is the real equation: $$ {^{63}_{28}\rm Ni} \rightarrow {^{63}_{29}\rm Cu} + e^- + \overline \nu_e $$
Note that there is one particle on the left and three on the right. This is why decay is a one-way process, not a reaction. If you put the neutrino on the left side you get something different (neutrino scattering).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:27:47 pm by helius »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #1229 on: August 25, 2021, 12:31:42 pm »
We need a LaTeX plugin for SMF ...

Edit:
Oh wow! How did you found out how to format your equation?   :o  ???
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:33:45 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1230 on: August 25, 2021, 12:39:21 pm »
We need a LaTeX plugin for SMF ...

Edit:
Oh wow! How did you found out how to format your equation?   :o  ???
There is a LaTeX plugin, it's called MathJax. (And it slows down page load significantly on older computers, but that's life.)
To learn what LaTeX macros were needed, I used this page: https://www.onemathematicalcat.org/MathJaxDocumentation/TeXSyntax.htm

You can create an equation in "display" mode by enclosing it in a pair of double-dollarsigns. I think for "inline" math mode you enclose it in a pair of backslash-dollarsigns. The way to write atomic mass-number symbols is interesting (many nested {} groups)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: August 27, 2021, 07:12:00 pm »
His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.

Your physics seems to be quite rusty. Of course exactly this transmutation goes on in a supernova, but it does not need those conditions. Quite possibly you even have some electronics around inside which this transmutation happens!

Nickel isotopes with atomic numbers 63, 65 and higher are beta type radioactive, and therefore decay to copper quite a(u)tomatically. In fact, Ni63 was used in gas discharge tube type surge protectors, the radioactivity serves to improve trigger time. In old electronics items you may find some, and have a process going on in your hands that you believe could not happen in a supernova. ;D
Every atom of nickel in the universe has the same atomic number: 28. Atomic number 63 is europium.

My most sincere apologies for picking the wrong word. I'd like to see you infallible writing in your second language. But I have a feeling, that except you everybody else in this forum understood what I wanted to say.

Radioactive decay is not a nuclear reaction. By the universally accepted definition of a reaction there must be at least two reagents.

Oooh, we have an inch pincher.  :palm:
Sorry, but beta decay is initiated by vacuum fluctuations of the electron and neutrino fields. There is your second reagent.

Google has quite a few hits for the word couple "radioactive reaction", some in scholarly text books ...  :-//

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1232 on: August 27, 2021, 07:17:10 pm »

I had not known how to write superscripts. But your code shows me how to. But no guarantee that I'll remember, I'm active in too many forums that do not support this feature, or implement it in a completely different way.  :)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1233 on: August 27, 2021, 09:25:10 pm »
63Ni <=> 63Cu + ß-

Simple, comforting, and completely wrong. The "reaction" you have written is a violation of lepton conservation.

Leptons are not conserved. Their number is. (Wanna beat me in nitpicking?  ;) )

What is really relevant is the fact that without the neutrino, energy conservation would be violated. That is much more fundamental than lepton number conservation, which might be only approximate, for instance in the case the double-beta decay is observed and proves the neutrino field to be Majorana.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: August 27, 2021, 09:43:49 pm »
His first swing and a miss was "nickel-to-copper transmutation," a nuclear reaction so unlikely that it would not occur during a supernova.

Your physics seems to be quite rusty. Of course exactly this transmutation goes on in a supernova, but it does not need those conditions. Quite possibly you even have some electronics around inside which this transmutation happens!

Nickel isotopes with atomic numbers 63, 65 and higher are beta type radioactive, and therefore decay to copper quite a(u)tomatically. In fact, Ni63 was used in gas discharge tube type surge protectors, the radioactivity serves to improve trigger time. In old electronics items you may find some, and have a process going on in your hands that you believe could not happen in a supernova. ;D

I would have believed EEVblog people would be more interested in these nuclides being used in surge protectors. Instead I get flamed for forgetting to write a single word ("atomic mass number" becomes "atomic number"), and "using" the word "reaction" where in fact I did not even write the word. Is this a philology (language) forum? I very much hope not!

Offline MazeFrame

• Contributor
  • = != ==
« Reply #1235 on: November 02, 2021, 07:01:06 am »
How about whatever this thing claims to do?

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/vbus2-isolator/

Looking at this photo, it to me looks like it passes Ground and the Datalines through, but has a groundspring going to the case from the 5V  rail :wtf: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/comments/cowh42/vbus2_usb_isolator_inside/
Never Forgive, Always Forget.
Perpetually Angry and Confused!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Is reversal of time a better way to define overunity: more energy out than in?
« Reply #1236 on: December 02, 2021, 10:47:34 am »
-snip-

SPICE is well known for producing improbable and/or unrealistic results due to its limitations.

It is NOT a real world simulator, it is a circuit development AID.

You can't cheat the laws of thermodynamics, despite a seemingly endless line of kooks and con-men trying to claim otherwise.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vinyasi

Offline Vinyasi

• Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: December 02, 2021, 04:56:31 pm »
Could you please suggest a real world simulator to avail myself of its accuracy?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 04:59:57 pm by Vinyasi »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1238 on: December 02, 2021, 06:01:54 pm »
Could you please suggest a real world simulator to avail myself of its accuracy?

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, Cubdriver, BU508A

Offline Vinyasi

• Contributor
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:00:56 pm by Vinyasi »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1240 on: December 02, 2021, 09:54:37 pm »

Yes. It's called a "Laboratory". They have them in places like Universities, and in companies that can afford proper R&D departments. They are not plug and play; they require considerable knowledge and experience to get meaningful results.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vinyasi

Offline MazeFrame

• Contributor
  • = != ==
« Reply #1241 on: December 03, 2021, 12:28:44 pm »
Anyone in the market for an Audiophool SSD?
http://zzyzxphile.com/eng/products/revelation_audio_ssd/

It looks like an underfunded janky university project.
Never Forgive, Always Forget.
Perpetually Angry and Confused!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: December 03, 2021, 01:40:36 pm »
Genius. Wonder if they do a SATA version.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: December 04, 2021, 06:03:01 pm »
Anyone in the market for an Audiophool SSD?
http://zzyzxphile.com/eng/products/revelation_audio_ssd/

It looks like an underfunded janky university project.

I was about to order one until I realised they only manage 9 on the sound stage vector. Such a disappointment, because every Audiophool knows that one's and zero's create a completely different MP3 file if the wrong capacitors are used!

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Miyuki Nyx

« Reply #1244 on: December 06, 2021, 01:17:39 am »
This makes my head hurt, why do these things exist I was just searching for legitimate li-ion battery pack and there's tons of these misleading ones out there, I know the capacity of such cells and know the price range of them, the amount of batteries and the way they're linked in a pack is definitely not right!!
They even state the real capacity of them in the description as a facepalming slip UGH unbelievable!!
At least they got the voltage right!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:22:44 am by Miyuki Nyx »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1245 on: December 06, 2021, 07:04:04 am »
They do enjoy trying to confuse us. It's not unusual to see the the capacity of a multi-cell pack described thusly: V = (nominal cell voltage x number of cells (fine, that's acceptable)), Ah = (nominal Ah rating of cell x number of cells (*sighs* no! This is not how it works!)).

I have speculated before that the ludicrous Ah rating given to an individual cell (on ebay I think) was determined by (nominal Ah rating of cell x number of charge cycles in cell lifetime). The maths did work out...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1246 on: December 06, 2021, 03:45:48 pm »

I have speculated before that the ludicrous Ah rating given to an individual cell (on ebay I think) was determined by (nominal Ah rating of cell x number of charge cycles in cell lifetime). The maths did work out...

I have observed exactly that before, and it has come up here before with a pack with an astronomical Ah figure that if it were real could have been used to replace some of those toasty banks that Elon put in the Australian outback.

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: December 08, 2021, 08:59:11 pm »
Ah = (nominal Ah rating of cell x number of cells (*sighs* no! This is not how it works!)

Or those power packs that have a 1000mAh 3.7V cell, a boost converter for 5V output, and label it as "5V @ "1000mAh".

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1248 on: December 08, 2021, 09:34:05 pm »
V = (nominal cell voltage x number of cells (fine, that's acceptable)), Ah = (nominal Ah rating of cell x number of cells (*sighs* no! This is not how it works!))

I'm pretty sure that is how it does work, just that you can't do both at once. In the context of a powerbank, the Ah rating certainly would be more likely to be nominal Ah x cell count.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1249 on: December 09, 2021, 07:34:05 am »
10000 mAh is defacto standard among smaller power banks with 5V USB output. 10000 mAh is before boost conversion to 5V, of course.
Some power banks are more honest than others. Ultimate speed power bank declares different mAh ratings right on the box and case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf