Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 779576 times)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #1250 on: December 09, 2021, 07:30:59 pm »
V = (nominal cell voltage x number of cells (fine, that's acceptable)), Ah = (nominal Ah rating of cell x number of cells (*sighs* no! This is not how it works!))

I'm pretty sure that is how it does work, just that you can't do both at once. In the context of a powerbank, the Ah rating certainly would be more likely to be nominal Ah x cell count.

No. The Wh rating would be, but the Ah rating is not related to the number of cells, nor does it change when looking at, for example, the case of a powerbank powered by a single lithium cell and outputting 5V.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1251 on: December 09, 2021, 08:07:57 pm »
Cells can be connected in series, in parallel, or a combination of both. A series battery has the same Coulomb capacity as its separate cells, but a parallel battery's capacity is the sum of all of its cells together.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1252 on: December 09, 2021, 08:45:50 pm »
but the Ah rating is not related to the number of cells

Are you saying that two 3.7V 500mAh batteries in parallel woudn't give you 3.7V 1Ah capacity?

Well, blow me down!  :o

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1253 on: December 10, 2021, 06:22:22 am »
but the Ah rating is not related to the number of cells

Are you saying that two 3.7V 500mAh batteries in parallel woudn't give you 3.7V 1Ah capacity?

Well, blow me down!  :o

No, I'm saying that two 3.7V 500mAh in series doesn't give you 7.4V 1Ah capacity, which is what these vendors like to claim. I was considering series and neglected the less common parallel, my bad.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1254 on: December 31, 2021, 08:05:17 pm »
USB powered heat gun?? And it isn’t the 1st of April yet

I found this on craigslist and thought it might be worth a laugh.  I’m sure it is as dysfunctional as its creator.  The kicker is the offer of a 5 volt 300 amp power supply at additional cost overly optimistic price.    :-DD

Maybe it was a prank gift to the seller, maybe just a troll.  But if I wanted to make this, I’m sure I could do it for less than 10% the cost of this one.  :palm:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/d/san-jose-usb-powered-heat-gun/7426917883.htm

Here is a screenshot:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1255 on: December 31, 2021, 10:34:32 pm »
That's got to be a joke, but maybe it would work with my 600V 1A USB powersupply?  :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1256 on: January 07, 2022, 07:10:15 am »
I'm pretty sure this is snake oil.
https://www.resonantlight.com/

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1257 on: January 07, 2022, 07:31:19 am »
Chocolate snake oil:

https://www.vosgeschocolate.com/pages/the-vosges-experience

If they can't even get Hz correct why would I believe they have any clue what they're talking about.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1258 on: January 07, 2022, 09:06:12 am »
Now that's a prime example of "getting high on your own supply".
You too can experience cosmic peace and serenity—by stuffing your face with candy.

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1259 on: January 07, 2022, 03:52:25 pm »
Worth to mention in this thread: Elizabeth Holmes, Convicted of Theranos Fraud, Faces 80 Years in Jail

https://www.newsweek.com/elizabeth-holmes-convicted-theranos-fraud-1665242

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1260 on: January 07, 2022, 03:56:29 pm »
I'd be surprised if she was handed consecutive sentences. Concurrent would be more likely?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: January 07, 2022, 05:16:03 pm »
Now that's a prime example of "getting high on your own supply".
You too can experience cosmic peace and serenity—by stuffing your face with candy.

Well this face sure looks like it's experiencing "cosmic peace and serenity" to me:  :)

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1262 on: January 08, 2022, 11:37:55 am »
I'd be surprised if she was handed consecutive sentences. Concurrent would be more likely?

I'd be surprised if she even went near a facility we'd recognise as a jail, white collar crime like like fraud seems to attract 'house arrest' sentences a lot of the time when it's not an open prison/country club.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1263 on: January 08, 2022, 06:45:34 pm »

I'd be surprised if she even went near a facility we'd recognise as a jail, white collar crime like like fraud seems to attract 'house arrest' sentences a lot of the time when it's not an open prison/country club.

Probably depends who you piss off, to some degree. Remember Bernie Madoff? Died in prison.

Some of Holmes' investors were quite powerful people and institutions, I think a custodial sentence in a real prison is highly likely.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: January 11, 2022, 07:35:20 am »
Chocolate snake oil:

https://www.vosgeschocolate.com/pages/the-vosges-experience

If they can't even get Hz correct why would I believe they have any clue what they're talking about.

Come with me and you'll be in a wwoooorrld of bank obliteration...
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: January 28, 2022, 02:03:25 pm »
there are videos of signal generators "playing" the hallelujah chorus - well beyond my test equipment competence. I should be able to create a binaural theta beat frequency recording, though. Can it have a similar, or any, affect on your mood?

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2017.00557/full

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1266 on: January 28, 2022, 09:27:14 pm »
there are videos of signal generators "playing" the hallelujah chorus - well beyond my test equipment competence. I should be able to create a binaural theta beat frequency recording, though. Can it have a similar, or any, affect on your mood?

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnhum.2017.00557/full

Anything can can have "effect on your mood". Flowers, a few lyrics from a song, the smell of peanuts.  It's such a vague and subjective measure that one can make pretty much any claim they like about almost anything and it can be almost impossible to verify or falsify it.   Think about it, how do you measure any change in your mood? You ask people. Their reply is influenced by everything from what they had for breakfsat, to what font the questionaire is in (and of course, how the question is worded).

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: August 02, 2022, 06:20:01 pm »
No idea why this popped up in my yt feed, I never watch crap like this. Watched the first few minutes then my bs tolerance was exhausted. Can anyone watch the full video?   :-DD

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1268 on: August 02, 2022, 06:57:23 pm »
The title gave me cancer so I can’t even contemplate playing it  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1269 on: August 02, 2022, 07:28:14 pm »
No idea why this popped up in my yt feed, I never watch crap like this. Watched the first few minutes then my bs tolerance was exhausted. Can anyone watch the full video?   :-DD

What, you want someone else to suffer just so's they can tell you how it ends? Bastard!  :-DD

You could try the "argue about it" and then gainsay everybody else with "But have you watched the video?" (a tactic beloved of one member who shall remain nameless) until someone cracks and does watch it. :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1270 on: August 03, 2022, 07:27:52 am »
inakustik looks a bit inarticulate - the goodish intro soon fades, not that making cables is all dull but your attention for these soon goes. Probably different when you're heavily invested in them.
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Keri Szafir

• Contributor
  • Vacuum Tube Witch
    • youtube
« Reply #1271 on: August 23, 2022, 04:12:21 pm »
That's a nice one - audiophile BS always gives me a good laugh. Especially cables and esoteric stuff.
I build tube amps BTW.
...its loveliness increases, it will never pass into nothingness

Keritech Electronics - building vacuum tube amps and restoring vintage gear since 2004!

Offline Keri Szafir

• Contributor
  • Vacuum Tube Witch
    • youtube
« Reply #1272 on: August 23, 2022, 04:15:10 pm »
Selling chocolate to those who have too much spare cash takes creativity in storytelling, LOL
...its loveliness increases, it will never pass into nothingness

Keritech Electronics - building vacuum tube amps and restoring vintage gear since 2004!

Offline xmris

• Contributor
« Reply #1273 on: November 02, 2022, 10:07:43 am »

I am not that much into "hifi" (heard of hearing you see , heh) but the design of that cable looks like more suitable as drain unblocker :-D
READY.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #1274 on: November 10, 2022, 05:07:24 am »
I was looking for geiger counters in Australia and came across this:

https://testingkits.com.au/product/radiation-testing-kit/

The page starts to list types of EM radiation, not ionising radiation. Must be a field strength meter instead of a... wait what?  Why is the photo showing test tubes? 

Content:

Bluetooth Radiation
    Broadband Emission
    Caesium Chloride (radioactive, used to irradiate blood and radiation research)
    Computer Radiation
    Cordless Phone (DECT)
    Cosmic Radiation
    Electric Blanket
    Electricity
    Electronic Power Supply
    Fluorescent light
    Fukushima soil (from the nuclear power disaster in Japan)
    Halogen Light
    High Voltage Power Line
    High Voltage Pylon
    Household wiring
    Infrared Radiation
    LED light
    Luna (moon)
    Magnetic field
    Microwaves
    Mobile phone 900mhz
    Mobile phone 1800mhz
    Mobile Phone 3G Tower
    Mobile Phone 4G Tower
    Mobile Phone 5G Tower
    MRI Scan (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
    North pole
    Plutonium (used in nuclear power plants)
    Power Pole Transformer
    Radio
    Radium Bromide (radioactive)
    Radium Iodide (used in cancer treatment)
    Radon (naturally occurring radioactive gas)
    Smart Meter Radiation
    Solar Radiation
    South pole
    Static Electricity
    Strontium Carbonate (in electronic appliances, fireworks)
    Tetra Mast Radiation
    TV Emanations
    Ultra-High Frequency (UHF)
    Ultrasound
    Ultrasound Vaginal
    Ultraviolet Light
    Uranium
    UV-A 315-400 nm (ultraviolet radiation)
    UV-B 290-315 nm (ultraviolet radiation)
    Very High Frequency (VHF)
    Wi-Fi Radiation
    X-ray

This Kinesiology Test Kit does NOT contain radiation, electricity, toxins or any other crude substance, but the homeopathic remedies made from these substances and is therefore perfect for muscle testing.

The homeopathic test kit contains glass vials as plastic can be unreliable for testing purposes. Pills are used to avoid liquid spillage and evaporation.

The test vials do not need to be opened as they are not intended for internal use, but for muscle testing only.

This radiation test kit comes in a plastic box for easy storage. If stored correctly it has an indefinite shelf life. Please store this homeopathic test kit away from heat, direct sunlight, mobile phones, magnets, microwaves, and power points.

This kit is not intended for DIAGNOSIS or TREATMENT and is NOT a home testing kits. It is intended for practitioners such as Kinesiologists, Bioresonance practitioners (Bicom, Vega, etc.), Chiropractors or anyone trained in muscle testing.

I personally suffer a DECT deficiency.  How about you?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:12:06 am by Whales »

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf