Author Topic: UVLEN  (Read 2442 times)

Online PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
UVLEN
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:19:06 pm »
Somehow, this $20 device which fits over a smartphone lens, converts the phone LED output to far-UVC and zaps viruses in 5 seconds.

https://uvlen.com/

Is UVLEN safe to use?

UVLEN's Mobile App handles most of UVLEN Performance-Algorithm by delivering the necessary amount of far-UVC wavelength without damaging skin cells, subsequently killing Bacteria & Viruses!

UVLEN is safe to use on any surface such hands or pets.

UVLEN is certified and clinically tested.

Uh-huh. I imagine the amount of UVC spurted out would be mostly harmless.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Re: UVLEN
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:01:46 am »
Biology is an interesting system, sunlight UV both burns humans and inactivates infectious substances. Labs use very intense UV light to disinfect objects or spaces at high intensities with safe human exposure limits of just a few seconds and total cycle time to clean might be hours.

For this device, visible to UV conversion technology is available and plausible for that application. There will be particular examples they can show of "easy" targets being disinfected quickly, but it won't be applicable/practical for all surfaces and contaminants.

Trying to ensure a reliable dose over any specific area and avoid accumulating too much on skin (or eyes!) is the challenge and probably no better solved than their other bulk emitting products.

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 04:07:45 am »
Somehow, this $20 device which fits over a smartphone lens, converts the phone LED output to far-UVC and zaps viruses in 5 seconds.

https://uvlen.com/

(Attachment Link)

Is UVLEN safe to use?

UVLEN's Mobile App handles most of UVLEN Performance-Algorithm by delivering the necessary amount of far-UVC wavelength without damaging skin cells, subsequently killing Bacteria & Viruses!

UVLEN is safe to use on any surface such hands or pets.

UVLEN is certified and clinically tested.

Uh-huh. I imagine the amount of UVC spurted out would be mostly harmless.

Ofc it wouldn't work butt the fact that it took so long to be 'invented' is surprising. And most of covid fear is unjustified anyway.Where I am, even though there are no covid case in the city, the people are acting scared like hell.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 05:36:25 am »
According to the link, it's just a filter, doesn't convert the light at all.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 06:41:43 am »
What a great idea (to get rid of your money)!
Not that it will kill anything (continuous usage of the flash LED might wear it out, so it seems it *might* kill something after all) - the amount of UV energy and therefor the range/covered area iis waaaaaay too little to be of any use. There is a reason why you normally use UV lamps with dozens of Watts...

Sidenote: If I put a 5G-blocking sticker next to it, will it still be non-working?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 08:06:41 am »
There's an idea! Up-converter for 5G to UVC.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 09:42:56 pm »

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 08:11:04 am »
If we assume that it did work, isn't such a thing stupidly flawed for their example of disinfecting hands?

Say your hands are all covered in germs, etc. You pick up your phone (with one of said hands), and turn on UVLEN. You disinfect one hand. But what about the other hand? You swap the phone to your other hand. Oh, wait, you've now got germs on your freshly-disinfected hand from the dirty phone. Better start over. Repeat ad nauseam...

Can UVLEN disinfect the phone itself? >:D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 08:53:06 am »
Each time you swap hands the germ count on your phone will be diluted (since some is sticking to your hands), so after a few goes everything will be clean :)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 04:19:19 am »
Each time you swap hands the germ count on your phone will be diluted (since some is sticking to your hands), so after a few goes everything will be clean :)

Or just use alcohol wipes on your phone.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 04:28:23 pm »
I visited wikipedia for a quick refresher as it's been three decades since I did any serious physics.
I'm calling complete bs on this, as I expected.

As we know (I hope we all here know) normal LEDs don't emit light at this frequency. Therefore as this device relies on a normal LED, it must be trying to shift the energy levels of the photons.
Fluorescence is an example of this, but I thought I remembered that photons are emitted at a lower energy level than the light source, and I was correct barring one exception which I'll come to.
Since UVC is shorter wavelength, and therefore higher energy level than the source, it can't be that.

Now for the exception. There is a special type of energy level shifting called two photon absorption, but this requires lasers to activate, as the conversion rate is some orders of magnitude lower than linear absorption (fluorescence). So, can't be that either.

As Big Clive points out in his video, this will just be some blue filter. I hope they go bust, scumbag scammers.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 01:00:13 pm »
As Big Clive points out in his video, this will just be some blue filter. I hope they go bust, scumbag scammers.

Yeah, they'll go broke. The secret is that before they go broke they'll put their pet cat on the payroll and funnel all the punters' money out that way as "salary".

AFAIK you can't sue a cat. And they're not registered for tax, either.
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf