Author Topic: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter  (Read 28992 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2019, 06:43:08 pm »
Feel free - there's a chance I might have (although I don't think so). I just naturally root for the underdog and latch onto positives rather than negatives :)

And therein lies the problem with today's media and the sheeple who lap up ridiculous impractical ideas. Engineers should know better than to ignore obvious engineering showstoppers in ideas that are, well, impractical  :bullshit:
Solar roadways, Batteriser, uBeam, Wi-Charge, Hyperloop, BFR trips to New York, silly small piss-ant tunnels etc etc.
Engineers are really the only line of defense protecting and informing the public.
I fully agree with you, and get quite peeved when millions of public money are thrown into such impractical things that are based on overextending physics and/or technology (Hyperloop, Solar Roadways, etc.). We engineers must not corrupt ourselves into smelling the fairy dust or at least giving an honest account of the pros and cons of these products/ideas.

If it is private money such as this one or the Batteriser

This is not private money, it's other people's money.
All the examples I gave are other people's money, even Space-X, they have investors.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:44 pm »
Except he didn't. Real engineers did
He enabled them, and they all stood on the shoulders of giants. There is no mileage in trying to say it doesn't count unless you created the chips that power the PC that runs the software you wrote that lets you compile the language you designed, etc.
"Enabled them", IE threw money at all of his ideas and the realistic ones turned out successful. How much of a part of the design of his products did he actually participate in beyond the "knapkin drawing" level? ::)

With Hyperloop Elon didn't throw his own money at it. I almost think it was a deliberate troll on his part (maybe not at first) and he just wanted to see how far other people would take it, just for shits'n'giggles. Or maybe he's justifies it to himself by thinking "well it's a good fun exercise for students, they are learning stuff".

With BFR, Space-X will just quietly forget about all that hype about using it to take point-point trips on earth, it was just pure media showmanship at it's finest and everyone knew it.

Other ideas (again, non-original) like solar roofs died out once they realised the practicalities of it all.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
Feel free - there's a chance I might have (although I don't think so). I just naturally root for the underdog and latch onto positives rather than negatives :)

And therein lies the problem with today's media and the sheeple who lap up ridiculous impractical ideas. Engineers should know better than to ignore obvious engineering showstoppers in ideas that are, well, impractical  :bullshit:
Solar roadways, Batteriser, uBeam, Wi-Charge, Hyperloop, BFR trips to New York, silly small piss-ant tunnels etc etc.
Engineers are really the only line of defense protecting and informing the public.
I fully agree with you, and get quite peeved when millions of public money are thrown into such impractical things that are based on overextending physics and/or technology (Hyperloop, Solar Roadways, etc.). We engineers must not corrupt ourselves into smelling the fairy dust or at least giving an honest account of the pros and cons of these products/ideas.

If it is private money such as this one or the Batteriser

This is not private money, it's other people's money.
All the examples I gave are other people's money, even Space-X, they have investors.
Perhaps a definition is in order. What I call public money is taxpayer's money, which some of these projects benefited directly, because a committee or a city hall wanted to have a "tech forward" image.

Quackery always existed and you can't say or control where people will throw their money. In this day and age, you have much more ability to get information about the viability of such things (not like in the old wild west, where quacks could pitch "elixirs" of the most variable kind).

I am not saying the quacks are right or justified, but I am saying that, out of the inevitable scenario, I am more peeved if I can't control where my money as a taxpayer will be used to fund that.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2019, 01:41:42 pm »
They have actually shipped a few units to backers according to some of the recent comments and there are mixed opinions in regards to the devices functionality, some people are really pissed off because they are being charged additional for shipping which I think was meant to be included.   :-BROKE ???

Vion Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/comments

Vion Indiegogo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vion-auto-detection-l-bluetooth-l-smart-multimeter#/comments

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2019, 02:09:06 pm »
Apparently the user needs to remove the battery cover in order to gain access to the USB charging port, safety before usability I suppose.   :-BROKE ???

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:24 pm »
What safety? There's no interlock switch! :palm:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2019, 01:47:45 pm »
Other than some colourful comments posted in each campaign I still haven't seen any of the meter recipients post a review of any kind elsewhere. I did however find another promotional video which at least puts a face to those responsible for this entire cluster fuck.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:51 am »
Engineers should know better than to ignore obvious engineering showstoppers in ideas that are, well, impractical  :bullshit:

They should, but many of them just see those ideas as means of making easy money while the project lasts (and then they move on). The more impractical the idea, the higher the probability that the people investing in the project are easy to fool.

There may be a fraction of those engineers that actually don't see the showstoppers and believe in the idea  - I'd say that it's somehow lucky that those engineers would work on this kind of projects and not on anything more serious.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf