Author Topic: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter  (Read 74919 times)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2019, 03:31:11 am »
Some people there are so delusional that they are actually asking for new features:
I don’t know if the hardware will permit this option/idea, but it would be very interesting to add a « scope meter » to « Vion » or perhaps in a future upgrade?

I think this is a great idea and warrants another year of "development" :).
Alex

Offline Muttley SnickersTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2019, 08:59:02 am »
They still haven't delivered anything to date and are already contemplating Vion 2.0 and some other silly products which are shown on their new website. The site linked below also has the manual for Vion 1.0 in PDF but it looks to be in Korean and I cannot convert or translate it to English, it does have a few pictures though.

VionLab
http://vionlab.co.kr

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:20 pm »
Appears that a scope/logic probe function will be available, and what is the display on screen at the top? The circuit board with test points shown in red?  :-//

VION 2.0

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:33 pm »
The circuit board with test points shown in red?

Sounds like a good wheeze. Seriously. Be better if it could show the circuit diagram but a photo from within the app would be dead simple, and once that's in place importing a jpeg or pdf of the circuit should be a breeze.

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:57 pm »
After once again failing to meet their own schedule and then treating the backers with utter contempt by not providing a response or reason they have just pulled out the "but it's now the Chinese holiday" excuse. This reply came only after one of the backers threatened to make a formal group complaint to Kickstarter, it's all in the comments and update sections along with every other excuse they could possibly dream up.

Vion Comments.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/comments

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:11 am »
Wouldn't you know it - just when they were going to ship - a damn holiday!  :-DD

Now it'll take a couple of months for the team to get all caught up again.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2019, 02:48:22 am »
I'm confused: don't they have a product approaching production? I mean, faking the plastics and all that stuff shown in the photos is pretty much like doing the real work anyway, so isn't this still on the go but just badly delayed?

Whether it performs is a different matter, but it sure looks to me like they're making them.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:14 am »
I'm confused: don't they have a product approaching production? I mean, faking the plastics and all that stuff shown in the photos is pretty much like doing the real work anyway, so isn't this still on the go but just badly delayed?
It looks like they have version 2 on a way, so they may have redirected all resources towards that. There is pretty much no penalty for not delivering on KS, so why bother?
Alex

• Supporter
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2019, 03:03:21 am »
Now it'll take a couple of months for the team to get all caught up again.
If that's the case then their next update should be on or around April fools day which sounds about right, then their special Easter announcement will follow shortly after. I suspect they are just milking the Indiegogo campaign for all it's worth which involves stringing out the Kickstarter supporters for as long as they can.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2019, 07:12:06 am »
What are the odds they run out of money before they ship anything...

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:29 am »
What are the odds they run out of money before they ship anything...

That's what I thought. With various mold revisions, compliance testing iterations (?), and things taking much longer than they had expected -- will they even be able to fund volume production, beyond the test batch of 100? Maybe trying to find additional money is what is really slowing things down at the moment?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2019, 11:46:17 am »
That's what I thought. With various mold revisions, compliance testing iterations (?), and things taking much longer than they had expected -- will they even be able to fund volume production, beyond the test batch of 100? Maybe trying to find additional money is what is really slowing things down at the moment?

That's common as mud for crowd funding campaigns, so wouldn't surprise me.

Did any of these 100 test units ship to anyone?

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2019, 05:00:44 am »
I found it pretty funny that they show a photo with boxes of components on reels with a caption of "Completed Electronic Parts".
Technically correct I guess, but pretty misleading.

• Supporter
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2019, 01:16:39 am »
Finally another update, insert yawn emoticon.  :=\

Vion Update #26_15/03/19
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/updates

"This is Yong-Man Kim, CEO of Vion.
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for backing Vion and to acknowledge the delay in shipping times. Your patience has finally paid off. Our official shipping date has been scheduled for 4/4.

After completing the purchase of electronic components for mass production, we conducted four trials over the course of a month and finally began the production of 6000 units. The finished product (pin, fuse clip, cable) and battery have finally arrived. Starting from 3/11 (Monday), we will start PCB production, proceed to the parts assembly, test the settings, fusion of case assembly, and finishing off with final packaging for 3 weeks. We will try our best to reduce the amount of time it will take to complete this process as much as possible.

Now that we are in the final stages of delivery we will take the time to confirm your shipping address one last time. Please send us your name, phone number, address, backer number, and memo to (help@vionlab.com) via email. We will ship your reward to the address you send us. For backers who do not send us an address confirmation email, we will send out messages to your Kickstarter account sometime between 3/15 ~ 3/20. If the address and/or phone number you initially listed on our first backer survey is incorrect then please let us know via email and not through comments. If you do not receive anything from us by 3/20 then please check all of your inboxes, including your Kickstarter DMs.

Thank you for sticking with us despite our many delays. On behalf of everyone at Vion, I would like extend our gratitude and thanks. Your belief in Vion is what allows us to work hard each and every single day. We look forward to successfully wrapping up our campaign and making you, our backers, happy and satisfied with Vion!  Best,  Yong-Man Kim, Vion CEO"

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2019, 01:25:40 am »

Vion Update #26_15/03/19
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/updates

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for backing Vion and to acknowledge the delay in shipping times. Your patience has finally paid off. Our official shipping date has been scheduled for 4/4.
Why don't they announce that "our official shipping date is TODAY!" :-DD

After completing the purchase of electronic components for mass production, we conducted four trials over the course of a month and finally began the production of 6000 units. The finished product (pin, fuse clip, cable) and battery have finally arrived. Starting from 3/11 (Monday), we will start PCB production, proceed to the parts assembly, test the settings, fusion of case assembly, and finishing off with final packaging for 3 weeks. We will try our best to reduce the amount of time it will take to complete this process as much as possible.
Funny how they say they began the production of 6000 units and then say they will start PCB production next Monday?!?

That is really a MSc in BS.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2019, 03:15:28 am »
say they began the production of 6000 units and then say they will start PCB production next Monday

A PCB is not the entire product. Thus other parts of the product than the PCB could be in production before the PCB is.

Also, might be a language thing. Perhaps buying parts ("pin, fuse clip, cable") for 6K units is classed as 'production' and, as noted, they've already arrived.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2019, 05:27:58 am »

Vion Update #26_15/03/19

Now that we are in the final stages of delivery we will take the time to confirm your shipping address one last time. Please send us your name, phone number, address, backer number, and memo to (help@vionlab.com) via email. We will ship your reward to the address you send us. For backers who do not send us an address confirmation email, we will send out messages to your Kickstarter account sometime between 3/15 ~ 3/20. If the address and/or phone number you initially listed on our first backer survey is incorrect then please let us know via email and not through comments. If you do not receive anything from us by 3/20 then please check all of your inboxes, including your Kickstarter DMs.

Thank you for sticking with us despite our many delays. On behalf of everyone at Vion, I would like extend our gratitude and thanks. Your belief in Vion is what allows us to work hard each and every single day. We look forward to successfully wrapping up our campaign and making you, our backers, happy and satisfied with Vion!  Best,  Yong-Man Kim, Vion CEO"

Can't wait for the reviews!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:34 am »
say they began the production of 6000 units and then say they will start PCB production next Monday

A PCB is not the entire product. Thus other parts of the product than the PCB could be in production before the PCB is.

Also, might be a language thing. Perhaps buying parts ("pin, fuse clip, cable") for 6K units is classed as 'production' and, as noted, they've already arrived.
It could be a language barrier, but this product does not have elaborate mechanics surrounding its main PCB to assert that production started when parts arrived or the enclosure or the cables are ready to be assembled - IMO this is a dishonest statement.

Oh well... Not that I have a vested interest in this anyways but, just like Dave, I can't wait for the reviews.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Supporter
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2019, 11:04:57 am »
Can't wait for the reviews!
You will have to Join the queue but don't hold your breath because these Vion fools don't know how to use a calendar nor keep to their own schedule. Anyway, I had a bad feeling about this gadget so never ordered one and don't know anybody who did, those who have probably wouldn't admit to it anyhow for fear of ridicule.   

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2019, 04:55:31 pm »
those who have probably wouldn't admit to it anyhow for fear of ridicule

That's one of the disadvantages of the derisive mob mentality that takes over these threads at times.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2019, 06:30:58 pm »
Don't know if the meter works but the packaging is pretty.  ;D

• Supporter
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2019, 08:22:14 am »
Vion Update #27_09/04/19

In Summary
More excuses, further delays and another schedule.   :--

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2019, 09:33:14 am »
Vion Update #27_09/04/19

In Summary
More excuses, further delays and another schedule.   :--

The test jigs look legit:

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2019, 04:23:59 pm »
OH HELL NO! :scared: I wouldn't trust this shit on 120V let alone 650! No way it could ever handle it, most DMMs max out at 600V some higher models make it to 1000V though.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2019, 10:31:26 am »
I bet if you look at the average age of the backers, you'll find that these are folks in their 20's that basically see a smartphone as one of their limbs :D
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf