Author Topic: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter  (Read 74953 times)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Vion: The World's Silliest Multimeter
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2019, 08:43:08 am »
Feel free - there's a chance I might have (although I don't think so). I just naturally root for the underdog and latch onto positives rather than negatives :)

And therein lies the problem with today's media and the sheeple who lap up ridiculous impractical ideas. Engineers should know better than to ignore obvious engineering showstoppers in ideas that are, well, impractical  :bullshit:
Solar roadways, Batteriser, uBeam, Wi-Charge, Hyperloop, BFR trips to New York, silly small piss-ant tunnels etc etc.
Engineers are really the only line of defense protecting and informing the public.
I fully agree with you, and get quite peeved when millions of public money are thrown into such impractical things that are based on overextending physics and/or technology (Hyperloop, Solar Roadways, etc.). We engineers must not corrupt ourselves into smelling the fairy dust or at least giving an honest account of the pros and cons of these products/ideas.

If it is private money such as this one or the Batteriser

This is not private money, it's other people's money.
All the examples I gave are other people's money, even Space-X, they have investors.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2019, 08:58:44 am »
Except he didn't. Real engineers did
He enabled them, and they all stood on the shoulders of giants. There is no mileage in trying to say it doesn't count unless you created the chips that power the PC that runs the software you wrote that lets you compile the language you designed, etc.
"Enabled them", IE threw money at all of his ideas and the realistic ones turned out successful. How much of a part of the design of his products did he actually participate in beyond the "knapkin drawing" level? ::)

With Hyperloop Elon didn't throw his own money at it. I almost think it was a deliberate troll on his part (maybe not at first) and he just wanted to see how far other people would take it, just for shits'n'giggles. Or maybe he's justifies it to himself by thinking "well it's a good fun exercise for students, they are learning stuff".

With BFR, Space-X will just quietly forget about all that hype about using it to take point-point trips on earth, it was just pure media showmanship at it's finest and everyone knew it.

Other ideas (again, non-original) like solar roofs died out once they realised the practicalities of it all.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:39 am »
Feel free - there's a chance I might have (although I don't think so). I just naturally root for the underdog and latch onto positives rather than negatives :)

And therein lies the problem with today's media and the sheeple who lap up ridiculous impractical ideas. Engineers should know better than to ignore obvious engineering showstoppers in ideas that are, well, impractical  :bullshit:
Solar roadways, Batteriser, uBeam, Wi-Charge, Hyperloop, BFR trips to New York, silly small piss-ant tunnels etc etc.
Engineers are really the only line of defense protecting and informing the public.
I fully agree with you, and get quite peeved when millions of public money are thrown into such impractical things that are based on overextending physics and/or technology (Hyperloop, Solar Roadways, etc.). We engineers must not corrupt ourselves into smelling the fairy dust or at least giving an honest account of the pros and cons of these products/ideas.

If it is private money such as this one or the Batteriser

This is not private money, it's other people's money.
All the examples I gave are other people's money, even Space-X, they have investors.
Perhaps a definition is in order. What I call public money is taxpayer's money, which some of these projects benefited directly, because a committee or a city hall wanted to have a "tech forward" image.

Quackery always existed and you can't say or control where people will throw their money. In this day and age, you have much more ability to get information about the viability of such things (not like in the old wild west, where quacks could pitch "elixirs" of the most variable kind).

I am not saying the quacks are right or justified, but I am saying that, out of the inevitable scenario, I am more peeved if I can't control where my money as a taxpayer will be used to fund that.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Muttley SnickersTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2019, 03:41:42 am »
They have actually shipped a few units to backers according to some of the recent comments and there are mixed opinions in regards to the devices functionality, some people are really pissed off because they are being charged additional for shipping which I think was meant to be included.   :-BROKE ???

Vion Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1441579202/the-worlds-simplest-bluetooth-multimeter/comments

Vion Indiegogo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vion-auto-detection-l-bluetooth-l-smart-multimeter#/comments

• Supporter
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2019, 04:09:06 am »
Apparently the user needs to remove the battery cover in order to gain access to the USB charging port, safety before usability I suppose.   :-BROKE ???

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2019, 01:48:24 pm »
What safety? There's no interlock switch! :palm:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

• Supporter
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2019, 03:47:45 am »
Other than some colourful comments posted in each campaign I still haven't seen any of the meter recipients post a review of any kind elsewhere. I did however find another promotional video which at least puts a face to those responsible for this entire cluster fuck.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2019, 02:57:51 pm »
Engineers should know better than to ignore obvious engineering showstoppers in ideas that are, well, impractical  :bullshit:

They should, but many of them just see those ideas as means of making easy money while the project lasts (and then they move on). The more impractical the idea, the higher the probability that the people investing in the project are easy to fool.

There may be a fraction of those engineers that actually don't see the showstoppers and believe in the idea  - I'd say that it's somehow lucky that those engineers would work on this kind of projects and not on anything more serious.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2019, 06:01:19 am »
I got one!

Can't believe I did a 46min video  :o

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2019, 06:48:52 am »
I'm hoping for the sake of the planet...that you blew that thing up at the end.

If you haven't, please do so now. Set it to max current range, bypass the fuse, and hit it straight across the mains or a large capacitor. :-BROKE >:D It must die...the Darwin of multimeters commands it.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Supporter
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2019, 08:55:01 am »
I'm hoping for the sake of the planet...that you blew that thing up at the end.

From memory some of the backers complained because the maker reduced the rated input voltage from 500 to 380 volts. Dave took it way past that and it still seemed to work but I certainly wouldn't put any trust in the devices ability to display the correct reading.

Vion Statement
We took a gamble on upgrading the product as much as possible before sending out the rewards. However, after additional tests and experiments we have found the performance and accuracy of Vion is lower than it was initially.

If you find this to be unacceptable, then we will issue you a full refund. Please email to help@vionlab.com for the refund.

1) The maximum measurement of AC volt is up to 380V, not 500V.
2) Capacitor, inductor, diode test function and 1.5V, 3V voltage output are not available.
3. The Vion App is unstable and will be corrected soon (takes about 1 month)

1) If you do not reconnect after using a one time connection in the app, please close it completely and try again.
2) Some of the features on the iOS version are not functioning properly
3) The option menu of scope and storage function will be reinforced.[i/]

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2019, 10:48:17 am »
So, turns out to be not much cop for serious (or even hobby) electronicalling. However, I think you're being a bit hard them being clueless dimwits that didn't know what they were doing - everyone starts off somewhere, and it's massive credit to them that they managed to get to the end (well, near the never-ending end) and ship a product. Many don't manage to rebadge an existing product very well, but these people designed from scratch and got it out despite the troubles they hit along the way.

I know you say that overacting attracts YouTube views, but surely it's sufficient to pan the product and not the people behind it in this case. They didn't intend to scam anyone, pretend it's perpetual motion or any of the usual con stuff. I'm sure they learned a lot from this (and probably won't even think about trying it again, which would be a loss).

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2019, 12:35:59 pm »
So, turns out to be not much cop for serious (or even hobby) electronicalling. However, I think you're being a bit hard them being clueless dimwits that didn't know what they were doing - everyone starts off somewhere, and it's massive credit to them that they managed to get to the end (well, near the never-ending end) and ship a product.

And I said hats off to them, not once but twice.
And they didn't know what they were doing.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2019, 12:56:43 pm »
Indeed, I did notice you did that. Later on I thought it was undone when you described them as clueless in a pejorative way - they can't be that clueless to have made something that works even if it doesn't meet the spec.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:58 pm »
Indeed, I did notice you did that. Later on I thought it was undone when you described them as clueless in a pejorative way - they can't be that clueless to have made something that works even if it doesn't meet the spec.

Well, frankly, after watching the video, calling "made something that works even if it doesn't meet the spec" is being extremely generous. The gizmo just doesn't work, period.

(And calling something that doesn't meet its spec "working" is a weird definition of "works", IMO. Moot point, though, because it mostly doesn't work in a usable way at all.)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: August 14, 2019, 02:01:28 pm »

They can be and probably are. I bet none of them actually have real engineering degrees, just googling stuff. It's like ants with collective intelligence, enough idiots in a room can change a lightbulb, or in this case, enough noobs can can design a barely working product.

I'll give them slightly more kudos than the guys who thought they could pump tires with the car exhaust. :palm:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:04:12 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2019, 02:09:25 pm »
They can be and probably are.

Yes, strictly speaking that's true :). Not what I meant but the word was already at the front of my mind.

I bet none of them actually have real engineering degrees

Sure, and that matters because...? Would you not fix your leaking tap because you didn't do the plumbing apprenticeship?

just googling stuff

Ah, OK. Bad form to try and learn stuff you don't already have a certificate for, then.

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #242 on: August 14, 2019, 03:33:08 pm »
WOW, just watched the video. I knew that this thing would suck, but had no idea that it would suck so bad ...

Register and login to make a measurement  :-DD There are no words to describe how ridiculous that is.
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2019, 03:36:19 pm »
Given how much money these guys have raised, I think all manufacturers of the "single capacitor power saver" devices should be on kickstarter and indiegogo. The'll make a KILLING !!!
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: August 14, 2019, 03:57:18 pm »
They can be and probably are.

Yes, strictly speaking that's true :). Not what I meant but the word was already at the front of my mind.

I bet none of them actually have real engineering degrees

Sure, and that matters because...? Would you not fix your leaking tap because you didn't do the plumbing apprenticeship?

just googling stuff

Ah, OK. Bad form to try and learn stuff you don't already have a certificate for, then.

Actually having a degree and not relying on internet crap matters when you are making and publically selling a product that requires multiple safety certifications!

You wouldn't work on someone else's house electrical without certification.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2019, 05:40:25 pm »
a product that requires multiple safety certifications!

Surely the issue is whether it has them or not.

Or are we saying not to try and do something above your station because you're bound to fail? Everyone has to find this stuff out somehow, don't they? No-one is born knowing it all.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2019, 05:57:13 pm »
a product that requires multiple safety certifications!

Surely the issue is whether it has them or not.

Or are we saying not to try and do something above your station because you're bound to fail? Everyone has to find this stuff out somehow, don't they? No-one is born knowing it all.

I'm saying if you don't know what you are doing, don't put other people at risk. They clearly don't know as the idea was stupid in the first place and just trying to appeal to hipsters that also probably don't know what they're doing with electrical and risk harming themselves and others, let alone the product itself not being safe.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2019, 07:09:33 pm »
The World’s Simplest Bluetooth Multimeter
Let's see what Merriam Webster says.

Definition of simple
a : lacking in knowledge or expertise
b : lacking in intelligence : STUPID
c : not socially or culturally sophisticated

Seems about right.

Dave, your video is unlisted on YT. On purpose?

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, nugglix

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #248 on: August 14, 2019, 09:48:13 pm »
The video is cringe-worthy. The product is really bad.  :(

Initially I was actually quite impressed by the product proposition - if the basic functionality worked well, I think they could still have some credibility to improve it over the long run. However, the requirement to login to use the utility, the Bluetooth security steps (a necessary evil in today's day and age), the custom battery, the excessive power consumption and the overall bad user interface on the device are a huge turnoff.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: August 14, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »
Over here we use the OED and are equally capable of cherry-picking quotes:

▶ adjective (simpler, simplest)1.Easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty: a simple solution | camcorders are now so simple to operate.
• [attributive] used to emphasize the fundamental and straightforward nature of something: the simple truth.

2.Plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation: a simple white blouse | the house is furnished in a simple country style.
• humble and unpretentious: a quiet unassuming man with simple tastes.

You know, you can make a point and show up problems without being a dick about it. You don't have to be nasty just because you can be.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf