Author Topic: Voltbox, what's inside?  (Read 6563 times)

Offline perandersTopic starter

• Sjöström Audio
Voltbox, what's inside?
« on: July 21, 2021, 11:20:18 am »
https://getvoltbox.com

This is obviously a scam but does anyone know what it contains? It seems to contain a capacitor.
/Per-Anders or P-A as my friends call me.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Voltbox, what's inside?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 06:20:21 pm »
It's a single ended thing (rather than in-line with the supply) so it can only be a capacitor. Maybe a (hopefully) Class-X L-N capacitor, maybe some Y caps to Earth. Maybe a MOV. Maybe even just a resistor and LED.

Almost certainly less than the above though. Probably embarrassing inside.

EDIT: I thought it looked familiar, it looks like this one that Big Clive did a teardown on. Maybe they're selling them as 'power cleaners' as well as 'power savers'.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:26:10 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline perandersTopic starter

• Sjöström Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 07:05:30 am »
I wonder how good business this is? The thing is that you pay for active energy. Eventhough you make sure you have cos phi = 0 it will cost you the same.
/Per-Anders or P-A as my friends call me.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 09:26:13 am »
There will always be suckers out there. Yes modern electricity meters measure actual power, as opposed to the old rotating disc ones that used to run on 'apparent' power'. I did hear tails that with enough capacitance, you could get those meters to spin backwards. I don't know if that was true, it would certainly slow them down though. I do remember a small spate of fires in the UK (probably '70s / '80s) caused by inexplicably large metal clad oil filled capacitors connected across the mains in certain housing areas.

This thread really ought to get moved to the 'Dodgy Technology' section. In fact there is an existing thread there on a similar looking 'device' - It's hard to say how the internals vary within these Chinese off-the-shelf enclosure mouldings. I suspect that in most, the LED driver is the main component count though....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/voltex-device-that-cuts-your-power-bill-by-up-to-90/

EDIT: It looks as if Voltex has become Voltbox, or it's a clone.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:29:24 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:15:18 am »

and

Offline oliver602

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 08:05:12 am »
Saw an ad for Voltex featuring a thumbnail from a bigclive video.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:19:20 am »
There will always be suckers out there. Yes modern electricity meters measure actual power, as opposed to the old rotating disc ones that used to run on 'apparent' power'.

Sorry, but the classic Ferraris meter measures effective/real power. It uses a clever design which basically cancels out reactive power.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 07:32:18 pm »
Just found one on Google search with Australian reviews.

If you change au to something like en the locations change to American states.

https://getvoltbox.com/article4/au?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6jVm-jK8AIVeQe3AB1enw5HEAEYASAAEgLV3_D_BwE
https://getvoltbox.com/article4/en?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6jVm-jK8AIVeQe3AB1enw5HEAEYASAAEgLV3_D_BwE

And I think I've seen this sort of thing before with the fake date and time:

I watch a documentary sometime early this year on Youtube, I can't find it now or remember what it was called  but it was about the plastics used in these things melting and catching fire. An elderly lady brought one them over the phone from what she believed was from her energy provider believing it will cut down her energy bills, she went on holiday and left it plugged but it overheated and set light to her living room. They tested the plastics on some of them and found that whilst it was burning the plastic was dripping with flames that could set the carpet or whatever it landed on a alight so they can be a fire hazard.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:19:15 pm »
I see Walmart are selling them:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lipan-Power-Energy-Electricity-Saving-Box-Electric-Smart-US-Plug-Saver-Device-for-Household-Office-Market-Factory/849239827
$6.58 WAS $20.91

About This Item
We aim to show you accurate product information  :bullshit:. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer
1pcs EcoWatt365 Power Energy Electricity Saving Box Household Electric Smart US Plug

Feature:

Electricity Saving Box Description:
*Saving Plug Save energy sources efficiently environment-friendly stabilize the voltage balance the current
Source stand current waveform protect devices
Prolong the life of the electric devices easy
Usage no need maintenance
Adopt the latest and high-efficient technique of Germany to save electricity Technical parmeter:
Rated voltage:90-250V
Rated frequency:50-60Hz
Useful load:250000W
Working temperature: - 60-75 degree
Guide to use:
*Plug the electricity saved box in to any sockers at home.
*According to the electric appliances quantity and loading carry can use one or several stanzas electric appliances,can immediately attain the electricity-saved effect.
*Simple operation,no need maintenace,no need pay too more attention.
Note:
When using,please be careful when pluging into the sockers. *Don't too rude,avoid damage.
After using,don't take off too often.*Avoid influencing the result of saving electricity.
Don't let the kids touch it.Assure the safety.
*When using,if the indicated doesn't light,please ask the local agents to exchanger or mend.
Please don't open or mend by yourself.

Energy Electricity ,Save energy sources efficiently
Smart,sleek design with LED lights to indicate operation
electric tester,power saver,tester,power box
EcoWatt365 Power Energy Electricity Saving Box

* is that Chinglish?

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 06:53:44 am »
Does it really matter what is inside. It can only get worse than an empty box and pose a fire hazzard.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 10:57:57 am »
LOL, the photo of the "founders" seems to be stock lawyer photo?  :-DD

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:59:44 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 07:59:16 pm »
Different sellers competing against one another using user review pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Electricity-90V-250V-Household-Factory/dp/B08LZ2Y4ZY

https://www.amazon.com/Beautychen-EcoWatt365-90V-250V-Household-Electricity/dp/B07JYW5PPC

Smart Sleek design life prolonging Smart plug from BeautyChen with nothing in it apart from some leds.

At least that won't draw much up apart from the leds.

Just noticed from the seller above BeautyChen using that same picture showing it has a capacitor, fuse and a few components on the pcb compared to others when a review teardown ahove shows it doesn't.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:26:37 pm by MrMobodies »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf