Author Topic: VGA -> RCA AV, wait VGA has audio? China Dropshipping  (Read 2854 times)

Offline ESXiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
VGA -> RCA AV, wait VGA has audio? China Dropshipping
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:53:52 pm »
So I was looking for this adapter on AliExpress. Ordered one cable for the video signal port but some sellers note clearly that it can also be used for audio...

Wait, VGA with audio?  :palm: :-DD
I think the wires and RCA connectors are just fake dummies. How could it else be possible it must be fake? I will verify the RCA connectors when I receive it but it must be fake is my guess. It seems to be multiple sellers not just one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 02:05:26 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
Re: VGA -> RCA AV, wait VGA has audio? China Dropshipping
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 02:06:38 pm »
I guess it uses machine learning, reading the lips of the actors on screen and synthesizing voice.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:19:06 pm »
Its not *IMPOSSIBLE* as pin 4 is spare/reserved so one could theoretically depart from the standard and output mono baseband audio or stereo S/PDIF audio over that pin, but IMHO its unlikely to do much that's useful.

It was probably copied from an adapter cable for a proprietary box that detected the presence of the adapter,  not a monitor, and swapped to outputting composite video on green with L and R audio on red and blue or something similar.  The S-video output is probably from a passive luma/chroma splitter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 02:46:51 pm »
Its not *IMPOSSIBLE* as pin 4 is spare/reserved so one could theoretically depart from the standard and output mono baseband audio or stereo S/PDIF audio over that pin, but IMHO its unlikely to do much that's useful.

It was probably copied from an adapter cable for a proprietary box that detected the presence of the adapter,  not a monitor, and swapped to outputting composite video on green with L and R audio on red and blue or something similar.  The S-video output is probably from a passive luma/chroma splitter

Yep. But what about audio ground, could that be pin 5 which is a signal ground? (not sure, my guess is no). Also the device you are plugging in the VGA male in to would have to support this. It would be mono audio at it's best. So Left and right is also fake.
Probably the seller making a mistake. Might just be for the other video channels for colour output but I highly doubt it.
Anyways I need it only for the yellow video out RCA, so that should be fine. But I really would like to test this when I get the adapter.
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 05:15:39 pm »
Have you read the full descriptions?
I did not find that exact same shop, but all the sellers with that cable state:
It will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector.
Or, even more clearly:
If your video card or controller supports TV-out function (which is a different type of signal than regular computer VGA output), then you can use this cable adapter to connect your PC's VGA port and your TV's RCA jacks.
This cable does not add TV-output functionality. If your video card/controller doesn't already have this function, this cable WILL NOT WORK for connecting your VGA output to a TV input.
Or something to that effect.

So it's just a passive adapter, not going to convert VGA to S-Video o composite.

EtA: found the store, and it has the same statement as the others.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:20:31 pm by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: ESXi, I wanted a rude username

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:02:56 pm »
Anyways I need it only for the yellow video out RCA, so that should be fine. But I really would like to test this when I get the adapter.

I think you actually need something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914602922.html

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 11:42:22 pm »

I think you actually need something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914602922.html
LOL, maybe the audio out there is a synthesized voice which states the video mode you PC is outputting...

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 11:17:20 am »
Have you read the full descriptions?
I did not find that exact same shop, but all the sellers with that cable state:
It will work with laptops and desktops with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector.
Or, even more clearly:
If your video card or controller supports TV-out function (which is a different type of signal than regular computer VGA output), then you can use this cable adapter to connect your PC's VGA port and your TV's RCA jacks.
This cable does not add TV-output functionality. If your video card/controller doesn't already have this function, this cable WILL NOT WORK for connecting your VGA output to a TV input.
Or something to that effect.

So it's just a passive adapter, not going to convert VGA to S-Video o composite.

EtA: found the store, and it has the same statement as the others.

My brain was confused, didn't read the description of the seller because I knew what I needed, also it seems my TV monitor(cheap china crap that I got for free) that I had didn't support TV out and my pc monitor did however the colour output wasn't really black and white but rather like yellowish greenish lol. I was mixing up VGA PC out with VGA in TVs tuners, decoders. Which are VGA with TV OUT.

It's this one, but yeah. Actually you don't know what you're doing because there is no pinout and pin description.. It's just connect pin x to y and use this value resistor and this value(uF) cap.

Not that it's chinees. The three wires above are RGB channels and then you have two wires for V and H sync..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:22:11 am by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:12:47 pm »

LOL, maybe the audio out there is a synthesized voice which states the video mode you PC is outputting...

The audio is just pass-through on that - as you'd expect.

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 06:16:31 pm »
My brain was confused, didn't read the description of the seller because I knew what I needed, also it seems my TV monitor(cheap china crap that I got for free) that I had didn't support TV out and my pc monitor did however the colour output wasn't really black and white but rather like yellowish greenish lol. I was mixing up VGA PC out with VGA in TVs tuners, decoders. Which are VGA with TV OUT.

It's this one, but yeah. Actually you don't know what you're doing because there is no pinout and pin description.. It's just connect pin x to y and use this value resistor and this value(uF) cap.

Not that it's chinees. The three wires above are RGB channels and then you have two wires for V and H sync..

That circuit will give you B&W version of the RGB, as there is no colour encoding.  The converter I linked about will provide colour, but they aren't great.  CVBS is just not up to VGA quality, let alone modern digital video standards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf