Author Topic: Shenzhen SEG plaza (Electronic Market) building shaking  (Read 910 times)

Offline agtrbt

• Contributor
Shenzhen SEG plaza (Electronic Market) building shaking
« on: May 23, 2021, 05:00:06 am »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-20/footage-shows-shaking-of-seg-plaza-in-china/13351842
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1591949-20210521.htm

All their circuits are physically oscillating :bullshit:
Such building vibration has relapsed for at least three days I think.  That would be rather disturbing because the building resonance was so noticable.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Re: Shenzhen SEG plaza (Electronic Market) building shaking
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 03:25:15 pm »
For a while in the 1980's one of my sisters lived on the top floor of a tower building in Knightsbridge London UK. In windy conditions the building swayed enough to notice and be able to see water in a glass moving from side to side. As far as I know the building is still there overlooking Harrods.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 03:43:40 pm »
For a while in the 1980's one of my sisters lived on the top floor of a tower building in Knightsbridge London UK. In windy conditions the building swayed enough to notice and be able to see water in a glass moving from side to side. As far as I know the building is still there overlooking Harrods.
Its common for tall towers to swap a metre or more at the top, but they usually do it so slowly the occupants are barely aware of it, unless they view something something through the windows lined up to make movement obvious.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/maker G1YWC.
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 04:22:56 pm »
It's just a giant metaphor for the electronics industry right now.
*New Product - 5V TC reference* available now.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:45:38 pm »
Does seem odd that it's been up with ~21 years and this is the first time it's happened.  What are the chances that some structural element has failed?

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 08:01:06 pm »
Or some HVAC/RTU sucked up a rag in its fan  :-DD

Offline dietert1

• Frequent Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 08:30:33 pm »
As far as i know these buildings have a large device on top that keeps moving a huge weight horizontally to damp movements of the building. Maybe that machine failed. I remember sightseeing in Sao Paulo no Edificio Triangulo do Oscar Niemeyer built in 1955 when they did not yet have that technology. The movements of the building felt dangerous, just as those old fashioned elevators..

Regards, Dieter

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 08:41:12 pm »
Yeah I saw that. The oscillation ended up stopping after 3 days without any known reason either.

What I've seen it that this building apparently started being built before its plans were fully finished. Also, that upon completion, the roof antennas were shaking so badly that they had to remove them and re-do the antenna installation completely. That's all I've gotten so far.

Since there was apparently no external event explaining the shaking, it might be some kind of self-resonance indeed. Triggered by who knows what.
There has been a few collapsed chinese buildings in the past. That's not something uncommon over there.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 08:59:47 pm »
I recall reading somewhere that the Space Needle in Seattle tends to torque in a strong wind. I don't know anything about the period or magnitude of the oscillation though.

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
  • Did you buy into a new audio scam call MQA?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 09:42:46 pm »
As far as i know these buildings have a large device on top that keeps moving a huge weight horizontally to damp movements of the building. Maybe that machine failed. I remember sightseeing in Sao Paulo no Edificio Triangulo do Oscar Niemeyer built in 1955 when they did not yet have that technology. The movements of the building felt dangerous, just as those old fashioned elevators..

Regards, Dieter

this SEG has no dampers
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202105/21/WS60a6f224a31024ad0bac0670.html
winxp same filenames overide press "yes to all" one button. win7 same filenames overide press 2 times apply to all and copy. why do they make modern software stupid? and bloated?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 09:53:25 pm »
... yet.
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 02:49:02 am »
... yet.
Wow, retrofitting a sway damper to a completed building is not a simple job!  First, you have to clear out most of an entire floor of the building, and install a 100 ton or so granite or concrete weight on a slider.

Really, I think retrofit is impractical, the building has to be built with specific floor structure, etc. due to the weight and forces involved.

Jon

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 08:30:18 am »
Is this where the "Strange Parts" guy buys his Iphone components from?

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 04:36:54 pm »
I'm thinking it's wind vortex shedding interacting with the building's natural oscillation period.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 08:53:27 pm »
What's alarming- it's never been this bad before in the building's 20 year history (including typhoons), and for three days, which I think rules out the usual excuses.
I like the one about Coriolis effect with HDD's mining chia bitcoin lol. All that spin spin spin, yeah that caused the shaking  :-DD

Using sea sand for concrete, which corrodes rebar, fake rebar, rebar that shatters, building something before drawings are finished, building 2.7 floors per day "shenzhen speed", changing the design on the fly - what could possibly go wrong.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 09:21:34 pm »
... yet.
Wow, retrofitting a sway damper to a completed building is not a simple job!  First, you have to clear out most of an entire floor of the building, and install a 100 ton or so granite or concrete weight on a slider.

Really, I think retrofit is impractical, the building has to be built with specific floor structure, etc. due to the weight and forces involved.

Jon

Don't some buildings use water tanks? That might be more practical than hoisting up 100 tons, a sand filled mass might be another alternative.

I just picked up on a comment in the link that 3roomlab posted...
Dampers are not installed at SEG Plaza, and experts suggested installing them to improve its resistance to winds and shaking.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:23:09 pm by Gyro »
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 05:29:39 pm »
Rushed building construction was a common thing in the early 2000's in China. So yeah, nothing particularly surprising here. Remember a hotel (admittedly much smaller than the SEG plaza) collapsed last year. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/07/china/china-coronavirus-hotel-collapse/index.html

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 08:09:25 pm »
... yet.

Jon

728 tons for the mass damper in the Taipei 101 building!  https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/design/a16819/tapei-101-mass-damper-record/

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 02:44:50 am »

Lot of information (and speculation about what it means) in the video and listed in the description.

But the important parts:
This is the fourth time that SEG Plaza has shaken.

Suspicion 3: Recently, a 20-year-old master's thesis written by Jin Dianqi, titled "Shenzhen SEG Plaza Construction Project Review" was widely circulated on the Internet. The article pointed out many problems. Why did those experts turn a blind eye to this paper?

Suspicion 4: The expert also said that the shaking of SEG Plaza is mainly up and down. If that’s the case, are there regulations on this type of movement? If the amplitude of up and down vibrations are large enough, the building will still collapse. So why didn’t officials release this data?

Also as others have said in this thread, the building does not have mass dampers.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:53:16 am by station240 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf