Author Topic: What's inside 2.1 Logitech speakers  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
What's inside 2.1 Logitech speakers
« on: January 28, 2022, 10:24:28 am »
I wonder if there is a secret club of EE's who are tasked with purposely designing these horrible speaker systems.

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, MrMobodies

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: What's inside 2.1 Logitech speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 12:40:38 pm »
Sweat shop who are sitting with a manager who wants them to cut cost by 0.1c for every iteration of the board, and also cut cost by 1c for every revision of the mechanical, plus buy the cheapest parts.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 01:27:09 pm »
Yeah they're horrible but I don't see what's dodgy about it, other than how he nearly cuts his fingers off several times. Some people don't care about sound quality and don't want to pay a lot of money or have large boxes taking up space, so these crappy but cheap systems serve a purpose. At least it comes with a sub.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 02:34:13 pm »
my ears ! and not because of the speaker ... well, not the logitech speaker ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:03:52 pm »
Disappointing and deceptive coming from Logitech.

What a scam:

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper just to leave it alone than to misrepresent it with fake speakers.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Haenk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 09:40:54 pm »
Disappointing and deceptive coming from Logitech.

What a scam:

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper just to leave it alone than to misrepresent it with fake speakers.

Yeah. I have to say that has really nuked my attitude towards Logitech. There is just so much that could have and should have been changed before manufacturing. I realise the product is just brand stamped, but still...
iratus parum formica

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 09:59:39 pm »

that's because of the intonation and emphasis placement , some people find it annoying even when it's used in the specific accent of Czech language where it comes from  ;)

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 10:01:57 pm »

that's because of the intonation and emphasis placement , some people find it annoying even when it's used in the specific accent of Czech language where it comes from  ;)

"Bloody Hell!"
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 10:07:06 pm »
There is just so much that could have and should have been changed before manufacturing.

Like what?

Online MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 08:19:57 pm »
It is mentioned on the box and specification:

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/products/speakers/z333-speaker-system-subwoofer.html
Small driver (tweeter) on satellite speakers is decorative and non-operational

Good they mention this but I still find it deceptive looking and very stupid.

I wonder how much money they would have saved by not implementing that fake rubbish

They say it is "bold" sounding.

Doesn't sound very "bold" to me reading in the specifications that one speaker out of the two is just a decoration.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 08:30:31 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 08:27:07 pm »
Perhaps there are real tweeters on a more expensive version, and they are saving tooling costs by having one design of cabinet?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 08:08:50 pm »
It seems unlikely. Would there be any advantage when they are still milling the recess at half depth rather than full depth? They could just miss out that step completely.

It still smacks of hoping the customer will look at the picture rather than reading the print (probably a fairly successful strategy), and it still makes them look more impressive to the casual observer.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 08:53:42 pm »
You can get cheap unbranded speakers that actually do have working tweeters. Even the otherwise extremely horrible-sounding "white van scam" ones tend to have them.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 01:19:33 am »
So Logitech figured out that they can do their own version of the "white van" scam, just like Beats or Bose.
It seems unlikely. Would there be any advantage when they are still milling the recess at half depth rather than full depth? They could just miss out that step completely.

It still smacks of hoping the customer will look at the picture rather than reading the print (probably a fairly successful strategy), and it still makes them look more impressive to the casual observer.
Could be that the slightly higher end version uses piezo tweeters which are very thin.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 01:46:35 am »
Could be worse, the Toyota Supra is now full of fake air vents.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 07:04:39 am »

Because it's still cheaper to have just one line, and the milling step is going to be automated anyway. The hole for the wires on a hypothetical genuine tweeter model would be poked through by hand by the person fitting the tweeter.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 08:11:48 am »

Because it's still cheaper to have just one line, and the milling step is going to be automated anyway. The hole for the wires on a hypothetical genuine tweeter model would be poked through by hand by the person fitting the tweeter.

Yeah. Drill laying around with a 1/4 bit in it. No worries.

What annoys me is they prolly went to the trouble of getting a fake tweeter made for the lesser model.
iratus parum formica

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 08:24:16 am »
That fake probably is an off the shelf part, as it is likely used by a good number of manufacturers of cheap tat, so as a part the first one who made a mould figured out they could make money running off a lot of copies and selling the excess, amortising their mould cost off faster.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2022, 07:21:13 pm »
Perhaps there are real tweeters on a more expensive version, and they are saving tooling costs by having one design of cabinet?

If that were the case, then there probably would be a hole to pass wires (otherwise that would still require two different machining). There isn't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf