Author Topic: Can you buy old copies of Eagle, eg pre7.5.0?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Can you buy old copies of Eagle, eg pre7.5.0?
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:57:57 am »
Hi,
We wish to buy Eagle PRO PCB layout software, but not the one on Autodesk which you have to pay $500/yr for...we want to do one payment and thats it.
Is this possible?
How much is it?
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

The following users thanked this post: MMMarco

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Can you buy old copies of Eagle, eg pre7.5.0?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 12:58:15 pm »
No. Autodesk own Eagle, their software, their rules.

Otherwise, http://eagle.autodesk.com/eagle/software-versions/7 but I've no idea how you would buy a license for it and the (limited) freeware version is for non-profit.

P.S.  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eagle/eagle-license-for-7-7-0/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 01:35:37 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 02:40:59 pm »
No. Autodesk own Eagle, their software, their rules.

True as far as the current version is concerned -- if Autodesk want to sell subscription-based licenses only, that's their decision to make. But they cannot prohibit the re-sale of an old permanent license to my knowledge, provided that the prior owner does indeed stop using their copy of Eagle.

Finding an old license for sale is going to be difficult though. We have seen a couple of enquiries on the forum, and I don't recall a single "Yes, I can offer you mine" response. Here is one example where the OP did eventually buy an old V5 version somewhere else: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wtb-cadsoft-eagle-license-4-1-and-newer/

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 07:01:58 am »
I have a license of Eagle Pro 7 that I'm not likely to use anymore. But neither should you. Instead of perpetuating the use of decaying software that eventually leads to a SaaS company, learn to use Kicad. It's a painful process, I really disliked having to do it after 15 years of using Eagle, but now no one can remotely stop my PCBA software from working through accident or intention.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 02:32:54 pm »
Thanks.
Do you know how similar the current Autodesk Eagle is to Eagle 6.5.0?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 02:41:38 pm »
Do you know how similar the current Autodesk Eagle is to Eagle 6.5.0?

It is no longer available as "Autodesk Eagle", but only as part of their "Fusion 360" integrated mechanical & electronics CAD package. Looks like the electronics part has changed quite a bit since Eagle 6.x times: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/features#electronics has a couple of videos to give you a taste. You can also get a free 30-day test version if you want to take a closer look.

I am pretty sure that they have changed the file format at least once. Would assume that the current Fusion version can still import old 6.x designs, but I am not sure whether it can store files in 6.x format.

As macegr has said: Have you considered KiCad? As a long-term strategy, being held hostage by Autodesk (who have already demonstrated that their promises don't hold water) is not good.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 02:43:20 pm »
Thanks, do you know if the current eagle can import schems, libs and layouts from Eagle 6.5.0?

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 02:54:15 pm »
Why use Eagle? I've used it and found it to be terrible. This was nearly 13 years ago though. Is it any better now?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 03:25:48 pm »
Thanks, do you know if the current eagle can import schems, libs and layouts from Eagle 6.5.0?

As mentioned, I assume it does (but does not export in the old format). But I don't know for sure. You could check out the 30-day trial version to confirm.

Do you work for a customer/company which is committed to Eagle/Fusion? That would be the only reason to stick with it for now, in my opinion.

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 06:06:29 pm »
 Do you care about being legit? I've got cracked versions of 7.6.0(x32 & x64), 8.3.1(x64), and 9.1.3(x64).  I've tested 8.3.1,  it is virus-free and appears to work. I have never actually used it though, I went with KiCad  instead.  I can test the other two versions if they would be of help to you.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 08:46:40 pm »
You'd hope that a company wanting to use Eagle would wish to do so legally. 

I sold my Eagle 7.7 licence via the forum back in 2018. That was the last non-Autodesk version, I believe.  It was last updated in 2016 from the archive downloads on the Autodesk site. I wonder if it will work OK on current OS versions.  I had issues with it, which along with going to a SaaS solution, was enough to push me over to Altium.  Plus, I got a very good deal on a permanent licence.

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 08:56:55 pm »
You'd hope that a company wanting to use Eagle would wish to do so legally. 

I sold my Eagle 7.7 licence via the forum back in 2018. That was the last non-Autodesk version, I believe.  It was last updated in 2016 from the archive downloads on the Autodesk site. I wonder if it will work OK on current OS versions.  I had issues with it, which along with going to a SaaS solution, was enough to push me over to Altium.  Plus, I got a very good deal on a permanent licence.

I agree. Didn't pick up on it being a company.
KiCad is the correct answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf