Author Topic: DRC [not really] gone nuts  (Read 1880 times)

Offline SpacedCowboyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
DRC [not really] gone nuts
« on: April 17, 2022, 07:23:09 pm »
So Eagle has suddenly decided that the DRC rules don't apply - I'm getting hundreds of errors about the widths of traces being too small (at 3.5mil) even though the settings are set to allow that...

I also noticed that if I start to route a wire, it wants to do it at 6mil, and if I go to change it to 3.5 mil from the pulldown, it refuses the change and puts it back to 6mil...

It was perfectly ok with all of this yesterday - but apparently something changed. Is there some option I might be missing that says "override the DRU" ?

Kicad looking more and more appealing, but this is a relatively complex design (I'm up to 11 pages of schematic now) and I didn't want to jump into a new CAD package with that sort of project...

[edit, about 5 minutes after posting the above (of course)]

Leaving this as a warning to posterity - never assume there isn't a PEBCAK...

Yesterday I was working on the BGA side of this, today I imported parts of another design, and apparently merged my net-class lists during the import - I do recall a warning dialogue or two, but it didn't twig at the time... The minimum size of the default net-class on the other project was 6mil, and so everything on the board that was narrower than that was immediately flagged.

Changing the net-class rule for the default net was all that was required...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 07:32:22 pm by SpacedCowboy »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: DRC [not really] gone nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 08:43:28 pm »
Which version of EAGLE?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 09:33:53 pm »
9.6.2, but as mentioned in the edit, it was my own fault. And as is tradition, I figured that out just after posting about it :)

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 11:27:09 pm »
If you haven't learned yet, read about "restring."  That name is deceptive, but it is quite useful when doing a design.  I am stuck on EAGLE 7.x, which can do anything I've ever wanted to do.  I have a paid version and never updated.  Something about actually having the program on my disk appeals to me.

John

The following users thanked this post: SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 11:44:02 pm »
It's funny - I was looking for my 7.x license today so I could have something when the online license runs out. I'm not giving them any more money if they're not updating the application....

Anyway, turns out I can't find my license file for 7.x (got 4.x, 6.x, but not 7.x), so my 7.x key is pretty useless...

I'll give restring a look - it triggers a bell at the back of my mind, but I only use Eagle intermittently, so sometimes things fall out of primary cache :)

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 12:01:38 am »
Jorge has a post here about halfway down that might help:
https://community.element14.com/products/eagle/f/eagle-user-support-english/7109/eagle-7-7-download

As you may remember, Jorge was the technical guru for Eagle in the US.  He knows everything about it.

John

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 02:09:33 am »
I could try Jorge, but it's the actual license file I don't have, not the application. I don't think Autodesk can (or at least, will) regenerate those.

Re: restring: The 3.5 mil annular ring is from nextpcb's capabilities page, btw.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf