Author Topic: Duplicating Connections in a Library (Single Component)  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Infrared_FredTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Duplicating Connections in a Library (Single Component)
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:33:10 pm »
Hello!

I am somewhat of a newbie to Eagle and I am trying to make a modified rcl library (resistors capacitors and inductors) so that I can make better looking schematic.  In a new duplicated version of rcl (so that I won't mess up any of the original stuff),  I went ahead and made shortened symbols  and duplicated devices from 0.3" to 0.1" and 0.2" legnth to fit between pins of an IC symbol.  All was going well......until I noticed after I deleted the old symbol and put in my modified symbol ALL the connections in the packages were gone.  I looked in the .ulp's for anything that looked like it could be of use and could not find any.  Does anyone know if there is a .ulp, .scr, or other method to assign the same connections to all 5 zillion of the component packages without going nthrough and doing it all manually?  Also, I can't really write a ulp or a scr since my programming skills are virtually nil and programming like that annoys the heck out of me. If if I have to do  the connections manually though... :(:=\

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:29:21 pm by Infrared_Fred »
Cheapness has its own cost.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Duplicating Connections in a Library (Single Component)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:33:13 pm »
What version of Eagle?

I use 7.2.0/7.7.0.    You can label the duplicate pins (say ground) GND@1... 
In the device dialog, you can select "any" or "all" for the connections.  The "all" requires all to be connected.  "Any" requires at least one to be connected, but you can connect all, if you wish.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 10:44:26 pm »
I am using version 7.7.0 standard.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 12:02:30 am »
Go to "Help" and search on "connect any."

Here's a faked example where there are two VDD's:

I set them as "any" (note the lack of connections).  If set as "all" (default), the green blobs would be connected.  Click on it to convert to "any." 

Hope that helps.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 02:43:43 pm »
Maybe I wasn't being very clear, what I am thrying to do is take the same connections for one package and duplicate them for a every other package without having to do it all manually.  so that I can have a all the packages with duplicated connections.  The check marked ones have correct connections but it would be very laborius to go through every single package and keep doing the connect connect ok buttons, if not simple.  Also I have written a little script, but it only seems to do the package selected, although I will experiment and respond if I get it to work for every package in a device. The script goes like this: "connect 1 1 2 2;".  There are also ulp's for running scripts through the entire deviceset in a library and all that, but after I run that on my library just runs itself but the devices are apparently unchanged.   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 03:25:43 pm by Infrared_Fred »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 10:42:12 am »
Sorry, I misunderstood and answered, at least im my experience, a more common question.

Some have described Eagle as a command language to which a GUI was added.  I doubt that accurately describes its development, but early versions (v. 3.x) felt that way.  As a result, anything you can do using the GUI can probably be done with a "simple" command line.  Unfortunately, I have not found a good textbook on using the command language.  I do use a few commands, for example positioning an imported DXF at the 0,0 location.

There may be someone here who can help with a command line for what you want to do.  If not, Jorge (Autodesk Eagle forum) can do it if anyone can.

Offline mf_ibfeew

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 09:50:40 am »
@fred:
duplicating connections: in the library the library-editor --> connection-window:
if you have more than 1 package-variant there is a duplicate-connection-field (direct above the "OK"-button) to choose from wich package you want to copy the connection.
It's only useful for devices/packages with many pins, for your 2-pin-example the "OK-OK-button-click" variant is faster.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 01:10:40 pm »
Thank you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf