Author Topic: DXF board outline not water tight  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Sudo_apt-get_install_yumTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DXF board outline not water tight
« on: June 28, 2019, 06:37:08 am »
Hi!

I’m trying to export a board outline from SolidWorks but cannot get the outline to be water tight; the ends of the lines go into the same point but don’t connect.
I’ve tried converting it to "Poly Line" in export and later with DraftSight but cannot get the all lines to interlace.

I’ve tried the standard DXF import ULP script and a third-party one but none of them fix the problem.

I pay for Eagle Premium but can’t get a simple DXF import to work!!!!

I won’t post the DXF publicly so send me a private message if you want to take a look at it :)

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
Re: DXF board outline not water tight
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 06:50:13 am »
Hello,

I've come across similar and it's a pain. EAGLE imports exactly what is provided to it but if the DXF doesn't contain a closed shape then it will not detect as a correct board outline. I've had to resort to manually tweaking the start/end points of segments in order to make them match the connecting segments which can be time consuming.

The first thing I would try would be to see if you can get Solidworks to close the outline before it's exported to DXF as it sounds like the problem is the output from Solidworks is not closed. I'm not a Solidworks user so I don't know how this might be done.

Alternatively, you could import the dxf into Fusion360 and then use the EAGLE/Fusion360 integration to pull the board outline from there which should bring it in correctly.

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf