Author Topic: Eagle 9 - any thoughts?  (Read 40033 times)

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
Re: Eagle 9 - any thoughts?
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
Stop being cheap bastards and pay for what you use, or else find other software that works better and use that.  Kicad is available and Diptrace and other stuff too - or keep using the existing licensed version of Eagle.  But Eagle V8/V9 has broken up with you and isn't interested in dating you anymore.  Time to move on and stop showing up at her house and telling her how bad she is for ditching you and what it will take for her to win you back.  She doesn't want you back - she's got a new guy with lots of money and she isn't thinking about you at all anymore.

To correct the analogy a bit; we're married, own a house together, and have kids. Now she has a new guy in the bedroom, has changed the locks, and wants to charge me rent.

No, the correct analogy is you still have the house and the kids and have everything you had before except the future you were counting on (but shouldn't have counted on).  But your ex wife has a new guy and is happier now.  You are pining for the old days, but those days are gone and you just can't accept it.  You're telling everyone that she doesn't care about anyone except herself.  But the kids are happier because mom lost weight, is more fun to be around and she takes vacations with them.  She is friendly to you and her new husband is too.  They want you to get out there and meet someone new, or they'd like to be your friend too and hang out with them... but you insist on showing up at every event and telling everyone what a horrible person she is for destroying the family and ruining everyone's lives... but nobody sees that... they see most people doing better and that you are just bitter and stubbornly refusing to get over the breakup.

Honestly, analogies are meaningless.  The simple fact is the software is NOT going back to the previous licensing version no matter how much you complain.  This change happened a long time ago.  The time to grieve/whine/complain is long, long past.  At this point, it's just attacking and polluting threads that would be otherwise productive just to work out your grudge, at the expense of other users who would otherwise be getting useful information from those threads.  That's a pretty shitty thing to do to fellow EEVBloggers just because you're pissed that you feel Autodesk slighted you.

Time to move on.  Hurt them where it counts, in their wallet.  If enough of you do the same, they will go back to the old way.  If not enough do, then the crowd has spoken and you are the minority and your only recourse is to find another vendor who meets your needs.  You don't have the moral/ethical right to devalue everyone else's ongoing experience with the product because of your grudge.

My .02.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2018, 07:17:56 pm »
I think that's the reason a lot of people do complain, to advocate for people speaking with their wallets, and encourage looking at alternative products. Personally I try to get as many people as possible using KiCAD since that's my EDA of choice. The more people using it, the more development effort it will receive and the better it will get. Since it's free and open source it can't suddenly go subscription. The fewer money vampires quietly sucking at my wallet every month the better.

The following users thanked this post: XFDDesign

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2018, 09:05:36 am »
Karel & The Club,

Will this subscription shitstorm happen every time Autodesk releases a new version of Eagle?  :--

I was looking forward to hearing something about the new features...
 ::)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2018, 09:41:30 am »

In this thread, the op asked for any thoughts. If you don't like those thoughts, feel free to start a new thread where you specifically ask for news about the new features.
Or visit https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/bd-p/3500

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2018, 09:44:54 am »

In this thread, the op asked for any thoughts. If you don't like those thoughts, feel free to start a new thread where you specifically ask for news about the new features.
Or visit https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/bd-p/3500

If you actually read the OP's actual post, it's quite clear that's not what was intended. You're stretching to try and justify continuing to trash EAGLE threads for your own amusement.
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk, Richard Crowley

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:35 am »
What has changed so significantly in EAGLE to warrant a major version change (V8 -> V9)?

It also seems that every release takes longer and longer to open to the main control panel, comes to something when Altium loads faster than EAGLE these days!

All of this subscription rubbish is fine if you use it occasionally, those of us who use a package daily is not cost effective, there might be a lot of releases vs Cadsoft, but the releases are not in my opinion significant enough to warrant paying over and over again for the software.

Thankfully those who still produce OSHW projects that use EAGLE (lot more using KiCad these days) are small enough to use comfortably in the free edition.

Someone I spoke to recently summed it up nicely, EAGLE is no longer worth it for businesses, but fine for hobbyist use.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:59 am »
What has changed so significantly in EAGLE to warrant a major version change (V8 -> V9)?

The Design Manager is quite a significant usability improvement, it makes navigating your design, getting useful information like trace lengths, layers used, via count etc really easy and makes making changes to a trace or groups of traces quick because you can find and form a group of traces quickly.

The Rip-up tool has changed significantly. It now has many modes. Some of them are just exposing features which were previously only available on the command line (all and polygons) but it's added various modes for ripping connected copper or ripping between devices.

The new quickroute modes which enable you to tell EAGLE to finish off the route you are currently making, or you can also get it to route a number of nets at once. It's not 100% yet and on my boards which tend to be very dense with very tight DRC rules it does struggle. I tend not to use it but I'm sure it'll get better and become usable.

In the schematic there are lots of enhancements to make using busses a lot easier and also for breaking nets out from components. I had a ULP previously which added a context menu entry for defining and managing busses. With v9.0 this is now no longer needed as the bus functionality has been significantly improved.

It also seems that every release takes longer and longer to open to the main control panel, comes to something when Altium loads faster than EAGLE these days!

How long does it take to load on your machine? I just timed loading up the latest version on macOS and it took around 3.5 seconds to get to the control panel. This is a little longer but not significantly longer than with v7 which took just over 2 seconds. I'd be more concerned it if were taking tens of seconds.

All of this subscription rubbish is fine if you use it occasionally, those of us who use a package daily is not cost effective, there might be a lot of releases vs Cadsoft, but the releases are not in my opinion significant enough to warrant paying over and over again for the software.

It only costs more if you used to use a previously licensed version for a number of years and not upgrade to later versions. But if you kept the license up to date and were always licensed for the latest edition of EAGLE under the old scheme it works out similar if you pay for the annual licensing. If you use it less often then the monthly may work out cheaper when you don't subscribe every month.

Thankfully those who still produce OSHW projects that use EAGLE (lot more using KiCad these days) are small enough to use comfortably in the free edition.

You can still open larger designs even in the free edition, if they are larger than the free limits you can still view them and run the CAM. But yes you can't edit in that case.

Someone I spoke to recently summed it up nicely, EAGLE is no longer worth it for businesses, but fine for hobbyist use.

That's just one opinion. There are lots of people who find EAGLE worth it for business, I'm finding more people now using it for commercial purposes than ever. Compare features between EAGLE v7 and EAGLE v9, there's lots of worthwhile changes.

Of course, that's just my opinion too :D

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2018, 05:51:24 pm »

The Design Manager is quite a significant usability improvement, it makes navigating your design, getting useful information like trace lengths, layers used, via count etc really easy and makes making changes to a trace or groups of traces quick because you can find and form a group of traces quickly.

The Rip-up tool has changed significantly. It now has many modes. Some of them are just exposing features which were previously only available on the command line (all and polygons) but it's added various modes for ripping connected copper or ripping between devices.

The new quickroute modes which enable you to tell EAGLE to finish off the route you are currently making, or you can also get it to route a number of nets at once. It's not 100% yet and on my boards which tend to be very dense with very tight DRC rules it does struggle. I tend not to use it but I'm sure it'll get better and become usable.

In the schematic there are lots of enhancements to make using busses a lot easier and also for breaking nets out from components. I had a ULP previously which added a context menu entry for defining and managing busses. With v9.0 this is now no longer needed as the bus functionality has been significantly improved.

How long does it take to load on your machine? I just timed loading up the latest version on macOS and it took around 3.5 seconds to get to the control panel. This is a little longer but not significantly longer than with v7 which took just over 2 seconds. I'd be more concerned it if were taking tens of seconds.

It only costs more if you used to use a previously licensed version for a number of years and not upgrade to later versions. But if you kept the license up to date and were always licensed for the latest edition of EAGLE under the old scheme it works out similar if you pay for the annual licensing. If you use it less often then the monthly may work out cheaper when you don't subscribe every month.

You can still open larger designs even in the free edition, if they are larger than the free limits you can still view them and run the CAM. But yes you can't edit in that case.

That's just one opinion. There are lots of people who find EAGLE worth it for business, I'm finding more people now using it for commercial purposes than ever. Compare features between EAGLE v7 and EAGLE v9, there's lots of worthwhile changes.

Of course, that's just my opinion too :D

Best Regards,

Rachael

Personally I still use V7, which I have a pro license for, and yes I know you can open larger designs, but sometimes you need to move stuff out of the way to see what's behind it etc.

For me there are not significant enough changes, they might be "nice to haves" but certainly not necessary between V7 + V9, especially considering how much it has cost me vs how much it would have cost me at the current subscription rate.  Started using EAGLE on V4, moved through to V7 progressively, tried 8, nope.

EAGLE starts in approximately 8 - 10 seconds, providing I don't have to "sign in", I have an i7 with 32GB RAM, Windows 8.1 x64, Altium starts in around 5 seconds for comparison, EAGLE 7 starts in around 1 second.  This has been true since V8, though it does seem to get slower, from clicking the icon to being able to use the control panel.

That is interesting as I find less people are using it commercially, 99% of jobs for PCB design are all asking for either Altium, ORCAD, or bizarrely some are asking for Pulsonix.  I haven't found a single one asking for EAGLE.
I do see a LOT of adverts on sites like UPWORK and FREELANCER that ask for designs to be ported from EAGLE to something like Altium, particularly in the UK.

I have even seen 1 advert asking for skills in KiCAD!  Never thought i'd see that but hey ho!

EAGLE was a good tool, it seems a bit bloaty now with the online connection and subscription code they have added, when it is running it runs as well as it ever did, and I have used V9 just to see if it was any improvement on V8, sadly for me I can't see one, some new icons perhaps.

You pay your money you take your choice, if you find the new version and the subscription model works for you then great, for those of us who do not think that way it is quite sad to see the decline.

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2018, 07:13:44 am »
Autodesk will slowly erode its base across all software platforms; the acceptance as an industry standard, the knowledge that if you developed skills with Autodesk products you would always be able to find work, and always be able to get that work done. The subscription model does not fit long-term business strategy, engineering best practices, and archiving requirements. I live in the SF Bay Area, the heart of SaaS development, and I'm hearing rumbles as applications evaporate away and skillsets become useless. The SaaS model is great for hobbyists and students, but eventually as industry stops using these products it will be seen as a bad investment of time to learn tools that won't be used in industry. Eagle was just barely starting to break into mid-range industry after a long stint in small shops. AutoCAD was firmly entrenched in industry until Solidworks came along; it took a long time for Solidworks to achieve industry acceptance but they currently offer both permanent licenses and a subscription service. Sam Sattel's recent article mocking the need for transportable file formats (in favor of only using Autodesk products for every step of design) doesn't give confidence that Autodesk will put in good-faith effort into transportable file formats, to ever let you out of their ecosystem if you want to take your files and go. Or if they want to take your software and shut it down.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »
It looks like eagle is going in the right direction.  The routing tools are much better.    There is a key routing feature still missing:   The ability to grab a trace after a route and drag without it generating odd angle paths. Altium will maintain the 45's, etc as you adjust the miter (as well as hug/push/shove).    Eagle would be very useful if it could do this.

Here is a sneak peek of the upcoming orthogonal 45/90 degree drag feature for 9.1 from Matt Berggren on his twitter: https://twitter.com/technolomaniac/status/997955781218648064

Best Regards,

Rachael

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:37 pm »
Sooooooooo happy to see 45/90!

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2018, 10:15:07 pm »
There is some effort in simplifying adding new library parts!! At the moment - it is not very good, but seems to be going in the right direction overall. I just started a new project that has a lot of new parts so I tried it.

library.io
https://youtu.be/_88Tk5pcdbo

It is no surprise this is a cloud tool that syncs with Eagle locally. There is pretty much zero effort to improve part creation locally inside Eagle so I hope this is fully developed. For the packages supported, it is nice but there are too few packages to get through most designs.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2018, 09:08:36 am »
There is some effort in simplifying adding new library parts!! At the moment - it is not very good, but seems to be going in the right direction overall. I just started a new project that has a lot of new parts so I tried it.

It is no surprise this is a cloud tool that syncs with Eagle locally. There is pretty much zero effort to improve part creation locally inside Eagle so I hope this is fully developed. For the packages supported, it is nice but there are too few packages to get through most designs.

I agree, it's a step in the right direction, but it does have a long way to go and it really should be built into EAGLE and not a cloud tool wrapped up in an embedded browser. It does mean that for packages it supports you can have "managed" packages with 3D models within your local (unmanaged) libraries and these will work with Fusion360. I'm not a fan of managed libraries, they add a lot of complication for keeping things in sync between local and cloud and will cause conflicts if you use a version control system locally for your EAGLE files and need to check out an earlier version. So anything that reduces or removes the need to use these is a positive thing.

But be careful to check any BGA or fine pitch parts you create with it. Currently it uses the built in stop mask and paste mask auto generation which is not suitable for these types of parts in a lot of cases so you need to go fix the packages for these after it has created them.

I really hope they do add extra functionality into the main library editor to make component creation quicker though. The IPC wizard is a nice addition but there will always be packages in large designs which is doesn't cover, oddball non standard packages or connectors for example, so making the basic tools for creating parts better is a must IMO.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2018, 03:06:44 pm »

In which case you'll be wanting to download 9.1 now it's released then :)

One word of warning, it doesn't correctly import your previous directory configurations (bit of a bug!) so either copy them to somewhere handy before launching v9.1 or have v9.0 and v9.1 open side by side and copy them across.

There is loads of new stuff in v9.1 as well as the 45/90 move mode, too much for me to list here but it's all in the release notes :)

Best Regards,

Rachael

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »

In which case you'll be wanting to download 9.1 now it's released then :)

One word of warning, it doesn't correctly import your previous directory configurations (bit of a bug!) so either copy them to somewhere handy before launching v9.1 or have v9.0 and v9.1 open side by side and copy them across.

There is loads of new stuff in v9.1 as well as the 45/90 move mode, too much for me to list here but it's all in the release notes :)

Best Regards,

Rachael

Loaded it last night - HUGE changes.

The 45/90 seems fiddly relative to Altium - perhaps some learning curve or optimization. Overall it is a major upgrade. Really starting to look like a professional package now.

There are so many new features that I need to specifically allocate the time to learn them. Not just incremental improvements - but real feature adds. I hope this development pace keeps up. There is still some ground to cover, but Autodesk is picking up speed. It is the first moment that I have been happy I use Eagle since I started using it about 5 years ago.

Excellent.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2018, 11:57:13 am »
The 45/90 seems fiddly relative to Altium - perhaps some learning curve or optimization. Overall it is a major upgrade. Really starting to look like a professional package now.

Altium is one of the few packages I haven't really had a proper go at using. I've dabbled briefly with the 14 day free trial but never really got into it. How is the 45/90 operation in Altium less fiddly? From what I can tell there are more different modes and features in the EAGLE version. For example depending on whether you drag a vertex or a corner the way it moves will change and there are various snap modes too to help put things back on the correct 45/90 angle, also it supports preserving non 45/90 angles too if that's what you need, it also works on polygons not just routes. I think probably you'll find once you test it out some more and get to grips with the various modes you'll find it works very well.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2018, 12:28:09 am »
Some update notes on the Eagle updates......

They have added quite a few nice updates delivering features going in the direction of a commercial software solution.

Here is were Eagle is failing miserably: The Library.

The earlier versions of Eagle were pretty bad in terms of creating and managing parts. After countless hours of fiddling, screaming, and cursing at the top of my lungs - I finally worked out an approach to creating and managing parts.

The last few updates it is clear that Autodesk is approaching this issue, but they are making things worse in the meantime. Now we have a half-old and half-new system that is stunningly convoluted and ineffective. It is hard to tell the difference between a genuine bug and an intended feature.

It is so rotten and slow that all the benefits offered in the schematic and layout are largely negated in terms of time. My current project is a clean sheet design so I am adding and updating dozens of parts which is a world of pain.

It may alleviate some frustration if there was current documentation or videos that really laid out the workflow and concepts from beginning to end. That would not, however, change the reality that each and every task takes 10x the keystrokes and mouse click than it should. It requires the users to commit a lot of effort researching, hacking, and memorizing the bizarre process.

I fell like a test subject and my business is financing the development of Eagle with wasted time.

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2018, 06:55:19 am »
Well, what can you do.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2018, 07:05:42 am »
Switching to a different ECAD system is very, very expensive......so I can't do much more than hope for the best.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2018, 07:39:35 am »
You could switch back to Eagle 7, with me. We don't hope for the best over here (other than KiCAD 5 or 6), but we have always-on availability and consistent workflow. Plus we have nachos!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2018, 08:43:18 am »
Is Eagle v9 still backwards compatible with the old < v8 libraries?
In that case you could use a free ver 6/7 and create the library there how you were used to and then use it in v9.

It is IMO a very bad sign that they now ship software with obvious bugs in them, as long as you can roll-back to earlier versions that is ok, if you are forced to update to "the latest and greatest" that is bad.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2018, 09:29:35 am »
Is Eagle v9 still backwards compatible with the old < v8 libraries?
In that case you could use a free ver 6/7 and create the library there how you were used to and then use it in v9.

It is IMO a very bad sign that they now ship software with obvious bugs in them, as long as you can roll-back to earlier versions that is ok, if you are forced to update to "the latest and greatest" that is bad.

Yes v9 will still read v7 libraries, they've not taken away the backwards compatibility there. Also, you don't need to go back to v7 to do libraries the old way. The new version can still do everything the old one can in terms of regular EAGLE libraries, you aren't forced to use managed libraries at all, unless you want to fully utilise the Fusion360 integration. There are also improvements in general in the library part creation process which make using the latest version an advantage such as the ability to create all the pins on a symbol from a CSV or from a copy/paste from a PDF table. I have to agree that the new managed libraries are extremely confusing and cause too many issues. I just don't use them as a result (except in a very limited way occasionally as detailed below) which is a shame because I think the whole integration with Fusion360 is really cool in theory.

I actually don't think regular EAGLE libraries are too bad in terms of the time it takes to create and manage them once you're good at it and have a decent process in place. It's always going to take a significant amount of effort no matter what ECAD tool you use. Of all the tools I have used over the years, once I ditched the built in EAGLE libraries and built my own completely from scratch it is probably the quickest and easiest to maintain and add new library parts. There is always room for improvement though!

I'm not going to defend the Managed Libraries system, of all the changes made to EAGLE, this is the one I find least benefit and most problematic. Too much is pushed to and dependant on the cloud, and an overly convoluted process is required to create and manage them. All this required functionality to add/display 3D models of components in EAGLE should be done IN EAGLE, not on a web page, and certainly not half and half with a requirement to continually push/pull and create new versions locally/remote to try and keep everything in sync. It should all be done natively with a one way push to the cloud so Fusion360 has visibility of the required libraries.

So the only way I can find to make use of Fusion360 utilizing the Managed Libraries system without ruining my otherwise slick library flow is to export all the used regular libraries from a board into a single library which I then make managed. I add all my 3D models to the components on that library and then take a copy of the board and update it to use the new managed library. I can then get a 3D view in Fusion360. It's a far from ideal way of working but it's the one which requires least headaches.

I really hope they'll get this sorted out so we can make use of the Fusion360 integration without the current level of issues caused by the requirement to use managed libraries.

Best Regards,

Rachael

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt, Kean

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:23 pm »
The dominant reason I stayed with Eagle was based on the advertised integration with Fusion 360. In fact, that was also a major factor when I decided to embrace Fusion 360 after a 20+ year run with Solidworks and MasterCAM. Over the years, I spent enormous amounts of time trying to coordinate EE designs with ME design. Inevitably, there was always something missed.....a tall cap hits the lid of the enclosure, screws holes are shifted little, no room for wires, the display does not match the window cutout, etc, etc.....

I did some tests with some tiny projects and it was really nice to it working. My current project is solidly the most complicated I have ever attempted - so any issue with the software is magnified.

While I am frustrated with the disjointed shotgun approach Autodesk is taking - technically it is still better than switching/learning/paying for other options. At least at the moment. They could REALLY solve a lot of problems by releasing written and video documentation as the features are developed. They leave the users to accidentally discover features and then hack their way through learning them. It takes a lot of time and I never feel like I truly know the tool.

When they changed the way vias where dropped onto a layout, technically it was an upgrade. The problem is that I did not know what was happening until I slogged through an ultra-dry 50 minute webinar where it was casually mentioned.

The product needs a guy like Lars Christensen that does loads of Fusion 360 videos on YouTube. He shows the tools, the concepts, examples, exercises, etc so the viewers can see the intent of a new feature or how to tie a dozen features together to achieve a more complicated goal. He works for Autodesk and is an excellent product ambassador.

Eagle does not have anything like him - not even close.

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2018, 07:41:55 am »
Well, just keep biting your knuckles and waiting for your tool to automagically become production worthy for a couple solid weeks at a time.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:11 pm »
Well, just keep biting your knuckles and waiting for your tool to automagically become production worthy for a couple solid weeks at a time.

I wish I had a simple alternative.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf