Author Topic: Eagle Library from US suppliers  (Read 5098 times)

Offline DocholidayTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Eagle Library from US suppliers
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:01:01 pm »
I just started with Eagle 7 and have noticed that most libraries supplied are from euro suppliers. Is there a list of US suppliers that provide their own libraries for Eagle. Yes, I have downloaded Spark Fun, Adafruitb etc.. Could not find any library from Digikey as an example.

Thank you for your replies,

Nicholas

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
Re: Eagle Library from US suppliers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:51:56 am »
Eagle is covered under Farnell. AFAIK, Farnell is based out of the UK.

You 100% are not going to find a library for every part you need. If you are planning to stick with Eagle, take the time to learn how to make a custom component footprint - it really isnt that hard to do at all.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:55:54 am »
Fuck Eagle, really. It's a dying product. KiCad has it's flaws and needs lots of development,  but it's free. I'm trying to adapt to it, but it's not easy for me.

Altium is expensive and the cloud cancer is getting extended, developed in a RAD way by chinese programmers.

DipTrace is slowly developed by a bunch of 7 devs that probably get the money from PCB designs. Their software lacks polishing and too many features, but it's a lot cheaper than Eagle.

I hate Eagle, despite I still use it. I'm still unable to switch to KiCad. Altium is really expensive.

I have problems learning how to make footprints and symbols in Eagle, it's very frustrating for me.

Life sucks! But fuck Copper Ltd!

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:09:15 pm »
Fuck Eagle, really. It's a dying product. KiCad has it's flaws and needs lots of development,  but it's free. I'm trying to adapt to it, but it's not easy for me.
No, it's not a dying product. It works, it's cross platform, does what it says on the tin.
KiCAD is due a stable release, but I doubt you will still be able to adapt to it if you can't in it's current development stage.  :palm:
I hate Eagle, despite I still use it. I'm still unable to switch to KiCad. Altium is really expensive.
If you hated Eagle that much, you wouldn't use it.  :-//
I have problems learning how to make footprints and symbols in Eagle, it's very frustrating for me.
So because you can't do things in Eagle, or adapt to a different package, you seem to see this as Eagle's fault, maybe you don't like Eagle because you don't know how to use it.... |O

I think you should use whatever package you feel comfortable using, but don't start ranting on a package because it's the only one you have bothered to attempt to use and it doesn't do things exactly how you like, there was a new release not that long ago, it's far from being "dead" or "dying", if there were no updates for the last 2 years or so then I would be suspiciously inclined to agree, but it's had more development than DipTrace has, that was over a year ago when Eagle was on V6!

It might be "outdated" compared to some packages, but I still know people and companies using Seetrax Ranger and an ancient version of Easy PC!

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:54:08 pm »

There are plenty of online tutorials. All it takes is an hour of your time and you'll be plenty proficient in it. From there, make a few bullet points handy for your own on-going use and there is no problem. It's quirky, but it's not rocket science.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:23:38 pm »
I have been puting together an Excel spreadsheet of tips and techniques specific to at least try and give you a better first time chance in creating your first board. I am afraid of asking for input as I would like to continue building upon it. My first section is for the first time Eagle user. Further on I would like to add an advance, intermediate, expert, and then troubleshooting, but I am afraid of all the hate mongers of Eagle. I just dont want the hassle or the drama. We all have choices I use Eagle now because it is very cost effective for me - it is not the bottom of the barrel application nor is it the top of the line either. Sure I would love to have a one million dollar application that does it all, but that is not realistic for me at this time.

I have read that Altium offers a student discount down to one hundred dollars but I have not pursued that further other than an inquiry with Altium. My current professor pushes Eagle and I can see why - it just makes that much sense if you really take the time to think about it. I am not only learning a lot about Eagle but the biggest thing is I am forced to understand the component that I am trying to build. Not just by reading a data sheet or applying it to a breadboard, but its theory!

The biggest thing I see about Eagle is the hoop and loops one has to go through at times and yes, the interface totally sucks. Like anything if you take the time to learn it that burden or extra steps don't seem such a monumental task anymore. So, if it took you 3 extra steps and some other application only takes 1 step. So, what!

Yes, I hope one day I will be using one million dollar app and have one at home too!  :-+

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:44:30 pm »
You find a lot of Eagle haters, for some reason, they just give you grief and post utter rubbish about the package, just ignore it!

Anyway, you can look on the cadsoft website for libraries, there is a fella called Bob Starr I think, who is in the US who has his own libraries, most parts though, surely are available in the US?
I create my own libraries for most common used parts, and then either copy from one library to another or create my own if I need to.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »
Thank you for tip and I will look him up.

Nicholas

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 03:58:21 pm »
You find a lot of Eagle haters, for some reason, they just give you grief and post utter rubbish about the package, just ignore it!

Anyway, you can look on the cadsoft website for libraries, there is a fella called Bob Starr I think, who is in the US who has his own libraries, most parts though, surely are available in the US?
I create my own libraries for most common used parts, and then either copy from one library to another or create my own if I need to.

Not to mention Bob Starr's great tool bar for Eagle which is also available on his site.

http://www.bobstarr.net/pages/downloads.html

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 07:59:23 am »
Fuck Eagle, really. It's a dying product.

On the contrary, Eagle is doing fine. They are even looking for a new developer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf