Author Topic: Eagle library of standard generic package pinouts  (Read 3042 times)

Offline InfravioletTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Eagle library of standard generic package pinouts
« on: December 04, 2022, 03:58:42 pm »
I know that people like to say that with schematic and PCB design tools you can pick the right part and then if you change which form factor of package you use and it will automatically adjust the pins... but...

For a lot of things, escpecially prototype PCBs, it would be very useful to have an eagle library of generic common packages with just numbered (rather than purpose described) pins which one could use for PCB footprints. Things like: a generic SOIC-8, DIP-14, SOT23-6, TSSOP-20, SO-16, TQFP-32, SOD-323, TO-92, T-1 3/4, ... All the common surface mount and through hole packages in all the common numbers of pins they have.

Again, I know it is not how the tutorials want one to work, but, is there such a library available anywhere? Just like one can already easily put in a generic 0603 cap and then specify its value, a way to put in a generic such-and-such pin-count device in so-and-so form factor without having to go through all the work of defining a new device and library for it.
Thank you

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Eagle library of standard generic package pinouts
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 04:17:40 pm »
Have you tried "ic-package" in the library?  They are generic and numbered, but the numbers follow the conventional standard.

EDIT:  Caution: Always check a library versus the actual device datasheet.  Otherwise, you may end up asking something to the effect of how do I solder  manufacturer X SOIC8 onto this library's SOIC8 pads.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:23:21 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline bradavenson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 03:12:27 pm »
Here is one that I have.  Maybe it will help.  I would still suggest you use these as a starting point for building a part.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 12:43:47 am »
It hasn't semed to help, the libraries only seemd to add typical DIP and SIP layouts, no SMD parts visible in them as far as I could tell. Has anyone got some libraries which do have all the common SMD IC sizes too?

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 11:52:36 am »
I don't think you have looked very hard.  Here is just a small snippet from my 7.xx Eagle libraries:1669990-0

Also Adafruit and Sparkfun have libraries you can download with SMD packages.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 06:25:10 pm »
Where did you download that list from? I've already got the sparkfun and adafruit libraries but neither seems to have a list of generic packages one can drop in to a schematic and thereby a board too.

Or are those packages in some place only viewable in the library manager from which one must then define them as speciic devices to be able to put them in schematics. I've nevr quite understood how to do this.

Thank you

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 09:20:07 pm »
You have yet to say whether you are using the last real Eagle version or the Autodesk version.  If the latter, I have never seen the Autodesk version and don't intend to see it.  If it's 7.xx, then open the Eagle library and look.  Go into packages and scan.  The red  pads od SMD devices are a clue.  BTW, many of the devices in Sparkfun's library are the same as Eagle.  My assumption is that Sparkfun requires its engineers to use only the Sparkfun library, which seems prudent to me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 12:02:54 am »
Oops, sorry I forgot to mention version. I'm on 9.xx, it is from autodesk, but one of the versions before autodesk starting changing much. From previous experience I'm fairly sure I can open libraries from earlier versions.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 12:34:50 am »
I am about to give up trying to do anything on the site until it is fixed.  Prior post got the "connection problem" error and disappeared.  Nothing posted.  So, here it is for the second and last attempt.  There are several ways to get there.  One way is to open Libraries.  The 3r and 4th entries under "rcl," which I assume you use, are reference libraries (see attachment).

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 12:48:49 am »
Bob Starr has curated a decent collection of consistent libraries, along with useful ULPs and scripts:

https://github.com/robertstarr

In the lbr_usr  repository, read the README at the bottom for a description of the work he's done.

I've used several of the libraries with Eagle 7.x.  I can't speak for compatibility with any later version.

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 06:51:13 am »
Thank you for that link. 

The readme's do not say whether the CAM processor will do plated through slots.  That is something Oshpark says the 7.xx versions will not do, so Dan Sheadel (Oshpark) posted a modified version on his site that does them.

Offline Thunderer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 05:30:24 pm »
https://library.io/ It requires an Autodesk account (free) and you do not get spam on email.

The time to create a package/footprint is in average about 5 minutes. The longer it gets when you need to identify the dimensions from the datasheet vs the dimensions in the web generator (example: because e is not always the pitch for all manufacturers).

Piece of cake to make a package:

Some packages I made, in attached archive:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:32:41 pm by Thunderer »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 07:43:01 pm »
Let me add that for devices where the package may not be simple or is asymmetrical (e.g., connectors, PCB boards to fit boxes), I design the dimension/outline layer in a standard CAD program, export in dxf and import into Eagle using a ULP.  Autodesk may include that ability natively.  Eagle's drafting program is more than a bit cumbersome to use. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf