Author Topic: Eagle License for 7.7.0  (Read 15082 times)

Offline Infrared_FredTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Eagle License for 7.7.0
« on: November 28, 2020, 01:20:21 am »
Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade capabiltites from the freeware version of Eagle 7.7.0 to the "Standard" version where you can do more than 100x80mm 2 layer etc.? I think the "Standard" license capabilties were something like 160x100mm or someting and 4 layer, etc.  My main concern is the board size limitation were you can't go any bigger than about 3"x4".  I will not get a subscription, since i do not want anything that cannot pay for once and be done with.  I would vastly prefer not switching to KiCad or anything else due to the learning curve and I am already established in Eagle.    Thank you for any help!
Cheapness has its own cost.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
Re: Eagle License for 7.7.0
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 08:24:24 am »
I tried to buy the full/professional/ultimate version of Eagle V7 but somehow, Autodesk doesn't like my money.
I had many discussions and they preferred I switched to another CAD instead of selling me an older version of Eagle.

Offline georgian

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:09:14 pm »
I have an eagle 7.7.0 standard lifetime license and i bought one for the newer version (expired after one year). I did almost all the work on the 7.7.0 version and when I had to place components outside the minimum area I did in on the newer version. There is backwards compatibility for files.
I just don't like the colors on the new version and the fact that is made for big screens. Less working area and the tool bars look bigger on the small screens

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 10:12:16 pm »
Isn't 7.7 already the online version?
Then just buy fusion 360, you get eagle license "for free".

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 10:12:56 pm »
7.7 is the last real version.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Karel, georgian

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 11:32:43 pm »
We are already looking at the loss of 7.7 on a platform in the somewhat near term. It will not run on Apple M1 hardware without emulation, it will not be recompiled for that architecture. So in maybe 4 or 5 years, there will be a very small and shrinking number of Mac users able to run native Eagle 7.

I still have old running Macs, plus Windows and Linux options for continuing to run Eagle. But all my new personal designs have been in KiCad. Industry is settling into Altium pretty much everywhere else I've seen.

The following users thanked this post: montemcguire

Offline georgian

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 11:26:10 pm »
We are already looking at the loss of 7.7 on a platform in the somewhat near term. It will not run on Apple M1 hardware without emulation, it will not be recompiled for that architecture. So in maybe 4 or 5 years, there will be a very small and shrinking number of Mac users able to run native Eagle 7.

I still have old running Macs, plus Windows and Linux options for continuing to run Eagle. But all my new personal designs have been in KiCad. Industry is settling into Altium pretty much everywhere else I've seen.

I'm using eagle 7.7.0 on mac book pro 2015 osx 10.15.6 and it always quits when I zoom in too fast. Sometime it makes graphics problems. I never had any issues with windows (7 and 10).
I guess you are right, this version will become obsolete. Still very powerful with lifelong license, made to be used offline, which is the greatest advantage for me.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 02:32:57 pm »
I'd like to buy a license for Linux .... but it seems impossible  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Unixon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 06:54:12 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade capabiltites from the freeware version of Eagle 7.7.0 to the "Standard" version where you can do more than 100x80mm 2 layer etc.?
There is a complete workaround for board size and partial workaround for number of layers.
Eagle CAD itself is not touched in any way.

Workaround for layers is described in this topic - it is simple and can be done manually, while the board size thing requires some automation.

Offline montemcguire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 03:40:12 am »
I'm using eagle 7.7.0 on mac book pro 2015 osx 10.15.6 and it always quits when I zoom in too fast. Sometime it makes graphics problems. I never had any issues with windows (7 and 10).

I'm using a Mid 2015 MBP but it's running El Capitan (10.11.6) and Eagle 7.7.0 is flawless. Putting off the inevitable changeover as long as possible - I have a nice setup with Eagle now, and I don't need the downtime switching to something else.

Eventually, that will probably be KiCAD, but maybe Altium. We shall see, but for now it's happy times with Eagle 7.7.0!

Monte McGuire

Offline rdalbke

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 04:27:54 pm »
You mentioned there is a complete workaround for board size. Could you share a link? Thanks.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 03:22:20 am »
You mentioned there is a complete workaround for board size. Could you share a link? Thanks.

https://www.kicad.org/download/

Sorry, couldn't help myself :)

The following users thanked this post: Karel, Doctorandus_P, macegr, twospoons, MacIntoshCZ

Offline Unixon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 11:38:30 am »
Sorry for late reply, haven't been there for a while.
In short, the trick is to scale things up and down. There's a software that helps to do that automatically. First you scale down all your libraries, then you develop a project with those libraries and finally when you you're ready to release it, you scale the project up and run CAM processor to get your gerber files. However, DRC rules has to be modified manually, this is not automated, but you only need to do this once and save a preset for each scale.
I'll get back to you with a link.

Offline Unixon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 02:07:32 pm »

Offline WalterMitty

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 10:17:09 pm »
Hi, I am/we are user(s) of Eagle 7.5 PRO version (almost unlimited in board size and layers).
However - due to CoVid-19 I still work in HomeOffice most of the time.
In my company the EAGLE PRO version is installed - but not in my home office. There is a free EAGLE version by Autodesk with the known limitations,
which I can use for *.sch modifications, but alterations to .brd files - sent by my colleagues - are almost impossible.
I have got the license key, but nobody in my company seems to have the installation package from 2015 anymore.
Since Cadsoft obviously closed down, is there any source where I can download the 7.7.0 version from - or at least the 7.5 version as in my company?
Regards Reiner (WalterMitty)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 12:12:26 am »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: nhw888

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 11:19:51 pm »
I'd suggest switching to KiCad though at this point. ;D

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 06:58:40 pm »
In 2021-06 autodesk tried to buy Altium. (Which is after this thread started) This indicates they themselves do not see a bright future for Eagle. Autodesk also has a long history of buying up companies, then taking out some small part and letting the rest die. I don't know what their real intentions with eagle are.

I personally won't touch software from that company. I've seen their latest cad/cam combination become popular, lots of people investing their time and effort to learn it and even create tutorials, and as a result autodesk cripples the "free" version to a point it's nearly unusable. I use FOSS software exclusively, (So it's naturally KiCad for me) and I also donate more to them than I ever paid for commercial software, but only after I've tried some software package for an extended period of time and like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 07:37:56 pm »
They are still heavily working on the Fusion 360 Electrical implementation.
(meaning it changes every few months)

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2022, 09:11:55 pm »
Eagle CAD is dead.

We have all suspected that for awhile.  Today, I got an email from Autodesk -- it must have gotten my address in its acquisition of Eagle. :(
You've been identified as a contact for a perpetual license of EAGLE for electronics design. The perpetual EAGLE license you currently own is yours and that will not change. Autodesk however will no longer create or supply any additional copies of license files that allow EAGLE to be moved to another computer. (EDIT: Not really needed.  My license file is on a floppy and worked fine with a new build a few years ago.]

Autodesk is committed to bringing the best solutions and experiences to our customers and have been working hard on an integrated PCB design workflow in Fusion 360.

The result - a complete product development process on a single platform that integrates PCB design with the product development process. Fusion 360 accepts all EAGLE files in order to move into the new environment to continue to build better and smarter products.

The Electronics workspace in Fusion 360 offers full-featured and complete electronic design and manufacturing tools, true 3D PCB design, advanced routing modes, design versioning, ODB++ output along with integrated electromechanical workflows.
The word, "Eagle" appears nowhere in my links to Fusion 360.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 12:21:46 am »
oh I just got the same email, I politely replied to Shannon that its a good thing my 7.7 license works wherever I install it and I've long since moved to a competitors product so I dont need your cloud locked web garbage  :-DD
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2022, 05:11:08 am »
7.7 still runs (pretty snappy too) on my M1 Max. Not that I've started it up in months except to check whether it still ran.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2022, 08:14:47 am »
V7.70 was the last good version.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf