Author Topic: Eagle Premium no longer included with Fusion for hobbyists?  (Read 8819 times)

Offline TomS_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all,

Was a bit shocked when I went to renew my Eagle Premium subscription that used to come with Fusion, only to find that it now only includes the Free tier.

That kind of screws me over, since my current project is within the 80cm board area, but using 4 layers. I cant fix one of the inner layers for a board revision since it is outside of the 2 layer scope included in the free tier.

Have I missed something, or is this the end of Eagle for slightly more ambitious hobbyists? My board requirements almost universally blow the free tier specs because I tend to design more complex projects.

I hate to say it, but Ive now begun looking into KiCad as a replacement, and will have to re-do my current project in that to make further modifications. I really like Eagle, but as someone who only does PCB design for fun and enjoyment and does no 3D design I cant really justify the price of a higher tier.

Thanks

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Eagle Premium no longer included with Fusion for hobbyists?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 05:11:22 pm »
They explicitly stated that they want to kill Eagle and re-implement the whole thing from scratch using fusion graphic engine. So, Eagle is not long for this world anyway. It will be dropped any time now.
Alex

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 09:59:28 pm »
You gotta wonder why they bought it if they're intending to scrap it.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 10:03:23 pm »

maybe they didn't look too closely at the code before they bought it? or maybe they didn't really care they just wanted the user base

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 10:10:15 pm »
Yes, I presume the user base. And may be idiot managers.  From a technical point of view, I could have told that it would not be easy to integrate even without looking at either code base. But mangers typically don't care about stuff like this - "just make it work".
Alex

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 10:15:42 pm »
That kind of screws me over

Welcome to the business model of Autodesk.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 10:19:33 pm »
I doubt they will get much of the user base either, all 10 of the users that haven't already jumped ship soon will.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 10:23:31 pm »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 10:23:33 pm »
Buying a potential competitor and shutting them down is not that uncommon: https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/do-companies-buy-competitors-in-order-to-shut-them-down

There are all sort of urban legends related to that.  One story I heard while young involved the invention of power brakes for cars, but I was unable to verify that.  In any event, at least the practice is known to exist.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 10:27:30 pm »
this is exactly why i did not switch from my perpetual "make edition" eagle license :P i'm stuck with legacy 7.7 but at least i have it forever in the same form and with same limitations (160x100 @ 6 layers) ;D

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 10:37:23 pm »
It is also not forever. It will start to rot as the OS versions upgrade. You can stick to your current OS for a long time, but eventually you will have to upgrade.

And already with Linux versions of the old Eagle you have to substitute some system libraries  with the older version.
Alex

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 11:30:56 pm »
It is also not forever. It will start to rot as the OS versions upgrade. You can stick to your current OS for a long time, but eventually you will have to upgrade.

And already with Linux versions of the old Eagle you have to substitute some system libraries  with the older version.

not really, running eagle 7.7 on elementary linux 6.1 (ubuntu LTS based distro) without any issues ;) and as far as i recall correctly, i didn't had to downgrade or substitute anything.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 12:26:11 am »
On the latest Ubuntu Mate I had to substitute libcrypto.so.1.0.0  and libssl.so.1.0.0 through LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Otherwise I get "./eagle: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0". LibSsl v1 was removed from the repos. You might have it installed from all the updates, but on a clean system it does not run.
Alex

Offline boB

• Frequent Contributor
    • my work www
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 12:55:28 am »

We still use Eagle but opted to NOT go with Autodesk's leasing model.

Eagle 6.50 worked very well and Cadsoft improved its operation quite a bit over the years plus we already have over 12 legal seats.

It's still working great for us !

I do sometimes miss PADS though.  I know there are newer programs out there that are better.  One day, I will be happy with the KiCAD user interface and possibly change to that.  Price is an object.

boB 🌜
K7IQ

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 12:56:11 am »
Buying a potential competitor and shutting them down is not that uncommon: https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/do-companies-buy-competitors-in-order-to-shut-them-down

There are all sort of urban legends related to that.  One story I heard while young involved the invention of power brakes for cars, but I was unable to verify that.  In any event, at least the practice is known to exist.
In PC computing, one of the old stsnces was the acquisition of Central Point Software (then owner of the PCTools suite) by Norton Software (owner of the Norton Utilities, which became Symantec). The acquisition was clearly predatory aa both companies had almost the same software suite.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 06:33:56 am »
On the latest Ubuntu Mate I had to substitute libcrypto.so.1.0.0  and libssl.so.1.0.0 through LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Otherwise I get "./eagle: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0". LibSsl v1 was removed from the repos. You might have it installed from all the updates, but on a clean system it does not run.

yes you're right. i had to install libssl1.0 package from external source (provides both libssl and libcrypto) , but nothing replaced or downgraded in terms of OS libraries.  just installed one extra package which doesn't harm anything, doesn't block updates, just sits there for eagle.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 06:36:59 am »

Same here on openSuse Leap 15.x.

> ./eagle-lin64-7.7.0.run
Ensure the following libraries are available:
        libssl.so.1.0.0 => not found
        libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => not found

Copy libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0 from an older distro (opensuse Leap 42.3) and copy them to your new distro.
Use the following command to start Eagle:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libs ./eagle

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 09:23:30 am »
In PC computing, one of the old stsnces was the acquisition of Central Point Software (then owner of the PCTools suite) by Norton Software (owner of the Norton Utilities, which became Symantec). The acquisition was clearly predatory aa both companies had almost the same software suite.

I was thinking specifically about the purchases by ScanSoft of OCR software including Pagis Pro (Xerox), Paperport, and Omnipage.  We had used Pagis Pro for a complicated estate problem.  It's indexing seemed a bit unusual initially (sorta like learning cut and paste in early Eagle), but once  you got used to it, it was great.  After purchase, it disappeared.  I tried Paperport and Omnipage and liked neither one.  That history is from the 1998-2002 era and is just memory. There have been other acquisitions, mergers, and sales since.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 01:55:34 pm »
Have just moved to Altium because of Autodesk’s policy regarding Fusion 360 and Eagle. Bad timing on my part, I had just signed up for a 3-year subscription when they decided “no more Eagle for you”.

Altium is of course a lot more expensive, but having used Eagle for ~20 years, I expect to get a similar lifetime from Altium and I bought a permanent license. Altium is already so far beyond Eagle that I may not even need to upgrade it at all during that expected lifetime :) You do get a lot more capability for that extra cost.

I haven’t got the fluency with Altium that I had with Eagle, and (maybe as a result) sometimes it does seem like they make things more difficult (and “process”-y) than they need to be, but thus far the learning curve hasn’t been too steep. It helps that there’s a lot of online help around, and Google is my friend :)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 02:46:07 pm »
it does seem like they make things more difficult

Part of it is mindset that you will gradually absorb. A biggy (for me) is that for some operations you do the normal multi-select and then choose what you want to do with the selected items. But for some other operations, you choose what you want to do and then select what you're going to do it to. It's really annoying when you go through the motions for the wrong sort, but ultimately you just kind of realise it's nothing personal and go with the flow (on the second attempt). I think there is some subtle logic to it because now I find I usually pick the right way to go even for something I've not used before, but that might also be pure luck :)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 03:17:20 pm »
They explicitly stated that they want to kill Eagle
Oh no! Anyway...

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 08:02:41 pm »
Have just moved to Altium because of Autodesk’s policy regarding Fusion 360 and Eagle. Bad timing on my part, I had just signed up for a 3-year subscription when they decided “no more Eagle for you”.

"subscription" afaict the paid subscription for F360 still includes a full eagle

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aging physicist
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 01:07:26 am »

"subscription" afaict the paid subscription for F360 still includes a full eagle

Right, currently you can get a 2.5-year old program that they've not even bothered to release bug fixes for, let alone new features.

Instead they want you to switch to Fusion360 where they've shoe-horned an electronics package into a 3D design application that runs in the cloud. Not just "no", but "hell, no".

As an example: on the Mac they basically broke drawing stuff on the screen in the last public release, reducing it to a crawl - dragging stuff around was painful. No fix was forthcoming in over a year of asking, not just by me. It took Apple releasing an entire new architectural platform and designing new processors to make the app work acceptably again.

Any company that treats paying customers with such brazen utter contempt doesn't deserve the aforementioned customers. I will never purchase/rent anything from Autodesk again.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 06:21:18 am »
Look at there forum:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/bd-p/3500

I'm amazed that there are still people using autodesk eagle (>= V8)  :o

I know, switching to another EDA is painful, but still...

Offline Unixon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 08:04:37 pm »
They explicitly stated that they want to kill Eagle and re-implement the whole thing from scratch using fusion graphic engine. So, Eagle is not long for this world anyway. It will be dropped any time now.
Is there a way to buy out old Eagle sources (latest CadSoft version, something around v7-v8) from Autodesk?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf