Author Topic: EAGLE V7  (Read 37705 times)

Offline CarringtonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
EAGLE V7
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:51:46 pm »
Hi all.  :)

I just received an email from Eurocircuits. And yes, EAGLE V7 will be released in July!  :scared:

More Info: http://www.eurocircuits.com/index.php/eurocircuits-printed-circuits-blog/eagle-v70
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: EAGLE V7
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »
"Also, you will be required to indicate your HostID as described in the V7 License Agreement."

Doesn't sound good.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »
"Also, you will be required to indicate your HostID as described in the V7 License Agreement."

Doesn't sound good.
Why?
Space Weather.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:40:10 pm »
Why?

Because I don't want to depend on the vendor if I move it between computers.   Currently I have a fixed serial number and I just paste it in with zero dependency on the vendor.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:55:13 pm »
Why?

Because I don't want to depend on the vendor if I move it between computers.   Currently I have a fixed serial number and I just paste it in with zero dependency on the vendor.
Usually is a MAC address, easy to modify.
But you may have problems with other software.
Space Weather.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:23:48 pm »
What are the new features? Is it less crappy?
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:46:17 pm »
What are the new features? Is it less crappy?
:-DD
New features:

- Hierarchical schematic design, which allows the designer to create structured schematic drawings.  The top sheet  can contain module boxes representing parts of the schematic.
  - Improvement of the autorouter: A new router algorithm pre-routes the layout.  The result is smoother tracking with fewer angles.
  - Support for multi-core processors. This will allow EAGLE  to route simultaneously several jobs (with different settings).
Space Weather.

Offline centon1

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:34 pm »
I've never seen anything covered in words like "Arduino" and "maker" that was a good example of proper design

That may be true, but back in the day, NASA spent a million dollars designing a pen that could write in Space...

The Russians used a pencil.

Offline msr

• Regular Contributor
    • rasgo.cc
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:22:15 pm »
 Hierarchical schematic design? FINALLY! But hierarchical layout would be much more useful :) Is it also included? Let's see.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:58:44 pm »
That may be true, but back in the day, NASA spent a million dollars designing a pen that could write in Space...

Not sure if you're joking or not... if you're not, this is just a myth, never happened. 

There was a pen, it did cost millions to research, but it was a private company that did it without nasa money and then basically gave them the pens for nothing. 
The russians didn't use pencils because pencils contain graphite in the tip which can float inside the shuttles and go into equipment and cause short circuits, fires etc etc

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »
Not sure if you're joking or not... if you're not, this is just a myth, never happened. 

There was a pen, it did cost millions to research, but it was a private company that did it without nasa money and then basically gave them the pens for nothing. 
The russians didn't use pencils because pencils contain graphite in the tip which can float inside the shuttles and go into equipment and cause short circuits, fires etc etc

You just ruined a good story ;-)

BTW, I heard that the ball pen was also designed for aviation because fountain pens leaked in high altitudes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:56:25 pm by zapta »

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 03:10:15 am »
I've never seen anything covered in words like "Arduino" and "maker" that was a good example of proper design

Its all a moot point as most arduino users use crayons  >:D

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 03:37:29 am »

The hate that keeps giving...

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 04:18:23 am »
The hate that keeps giving...
Hate is such a soft word ;)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 11:27:08 am »
If it is only those three changes I am not very interested of upgrading since I never use the auto-router.
That is unless the upgradeprice is really low (that way I am already prepared for v8 which might have more interesting upgrades).
And I agree on the computerlocking, it is a pain in the ass. I have a compiler that has that, changed my hdd to ssd bang had to call the company to change the license again.
Then I normally change (upgrade) my computers/laptops each 3years, where did I have that license key etc. etc..  :palm:

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 03:04:37 pm »
I've been using Eagle 6.5 on a Surface Pro recently. Using a pen for the layout is quite nice in some ways.

I hope they've thought about Windows 8 and touch screens when working on 7.0. The lack of consideration of high DPI screens (e.g. the tiny buttons that can't be changed) is the biggest problem I found on the Surface.

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:44 pm »

Only issue is that by the time you realize, they'll be your boss.

Offline metta

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 09:21:17 pm »
I've been using Eagle 6.5 on a Surface Pro recently. Using a pen for the layout is quite nice in some ways.

I'm surprised this isn't more common for PCB design in general.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 09:23:06 pm »
I asked on element 14. Apparently the public beta will be available soon, but there's no improvements for touchscreens.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 06:02:04 am »

I hope they've thought about Windows 8 and touch screens when working on 7.0. The lack of consideration of high DPI screens (e.g. the tiny buttons that can't be changed) is the biggest problem I found on the Surface.

Switch to linux, the buttons are so gigantic when using Eagle on linux that 6 of them dont even appear and you must click a down arrow to see them(rats-nets being the most used and the most annoying thing to go there and clicky clicky)  :palm:

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 08:54:16 am »
Hierarchical schematic layout is good. Obviously things like Altium have had that for a long time, but it will be good to have that capability in cheaper or free (if you accept the free licensing restrictions for your use) software. I don't know if other cheaper or free options such as Diptrace or kicad have hierarchical schematics.

And we've improved the autorouter? Wow, woo hoo. Is it still an autorouter? Well therefore it's still shit. People who know what they're doing still aren't going to use an autorouter even if it uses both cores oooh shiny.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 02:07:40 pm »
Switch to linux, the buttons are so gigantic when using Eagle on linux that 6 of them dont even appear and you must click a down arrow to see them(rats-nets being the most used and the most annoying thing to go there and clicky clicky)  :palm:
I don't have this problem.  Adjust your screen resolution or get a better graphics driver but don't blame linux for your issues.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 02:24:58 pm »
And we've improved the autorouter? Wow, woo hoo. Is it still an autorouter? Well therefore it's still shit. People who know what they're doing still aren't going to use an autorouter even if it uses both cores oooh shiny.

Uhm.. tell that to all the people designing high end gear using autorouters.

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 08:11:37 pm »

Both used pencils: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_pen#Uses_in_the_U.S._and_Russian_space_programs

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:22 pm »
Launched my copy of Eagle and it come up "Your version of EAGLE is not up-to-date.  The new version 7.0.0 is available." - however CadSoft website front page mentions v7 Beta.

Has it actually been released yet?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf