Author Topic: EAGLE V7  (Read 37713 times)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: EAGLE V7
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »
Launched my copy of Eagle and it come up "Your version of EAGLE is not up-to-date.  The new version 7.0.0 is available." - however CadSoft website front page mentions v7 Beta.

Has it actually been released yet?

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/?language=en

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 05:11:23 pm »
Launched my copy of Eagle and it come up "Your version of EAGLE is not up-to-date.  The new version 7.0.0 is available." - however CadSoft website front page mentions v7 Beta.

Has it actually been released yet?

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/?language=en

Well, might give it a try, always up for a challenge ;D

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 09:06:05 pm »
Does this mean it is a free upgrade?

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 09:09:22 pm »
Does this mean it is a free upgrade?

Only if you bought it on or after 15th April this year...

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/conditions-freeupgrade/

...which I have done.  Sadly, it seems there is no way to generate a licence as the web shops for CadSoft fall over with a variety of errors.  At least the install hasn't killed the previous version.

Offline Prime73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 09:18:15 pm »
Did they improved component search in libraries, and component management in general? this is the only thing I find annoying in Eagle. ( I use pro version)

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 12:37:06 pm »
I've been using EAGLE for about 6 years now (not by choice, originally) and the change to onerous 1990's era node-locked licensing in v7 annoys me to no end. And the fact that you have to more or less go through the entire upgrade process just to find out the price is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Looks like I will be sticking with 6.5.0 for quite awhile, and then looking at jumping ship... I can't say I will miss EAGLE, but I did get quite good at using it over the years and don't really relish the thought of having to go through yet another steep learning curve for a new EDA program.

Offline Prime73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:28 pm »
Looks like I will be sticking with 6.5.0 for quite awhile, and then looking at jumping ship... I can't say I will miss EAGLE, but I did get quite good at using it over the years and don't really relish the thought of having to go through yet another steep learning curve for a new EDA program.

My thoughts exactly. Why they make it more difficult for consumer is beyond me

Offline WarSim

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 01:56:30 pm »

Not sure if you're joking or not... if you're not, this is just a myth, never happened. 

There was a pen, it did cost millions to research, but it was a private company that did it without nasa money and then basically gave them the pens for nothing. 
The russians didn't use pencils because pencils contain graphite in the tip which can float inside the shuttles and go into equipment and cause short circuits, fires etc etc

You just ruined a good story ;-)

BTW, I heard that the ball pen was also designed for aviation because fountain pens leaked in high altitudes.

Yes fountain pens do leak with pleasure change.  But the ball point pen was invented because of the more common fountain pens leak due to vibration and shock. 

The invention came about because of all the black suit pockets not because not because aviation wanted to stop using pencils and carbon paper. 

After all a ruined suit is more important to more people than writing in an aircraft. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:30 am »
Any (upgrade) prices published anywhere yet?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 12:14:12 pm »
https://shop.cadsoft.de//upgrade/?language=en

Will give you the upgrade prices

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 09:38:43 am »
So, 460EU for me to upgrade means I'll give it a miss. I don't think there's enough in terms of differences over 6.6.0.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:17 am »
Ouch!

I think it said somewhere if you bought a new license after a certain date (August last yr?) you can upgrade for free to 7, I guess the license upgrade / subscription  lasts for a year?

All we have is new icons, hierarchy and some autorouter fixes or upgrades, oh, and the flexlm license system which turns out is a bigger ball ache than the previous incarnation (and just as insecure).

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »
So, 460EU for me to upgrade means I'll give it a miss. I don't think there's enough in terms of differences over 6.6.0.

Ian.

Thanks for revealing your upgrade price. Is that for the full professional version with autorouter, schematic entry and pcb layout?

And yeah, there aren't really any new features going from 6.5.0 or 6.6.0 to 7.0 so this is tantamount to paying to get saddled with node-locked licensing... No thanks.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 02:48:58 pm »

Ian.

Thanks for revealing your upgrade price. Is that for the full professional version with autorouter, schematic entry and pcb layout?

And yeah, there aren't really any new features going from 6.5.0 or 6.6.0 to 7.0 so this is tantamount to paying to get saddled with node-locked licensing... No thanks.

Yes the PRO version with AR, SCH & PCB. I had upgraded to the PRO version from Hobbyist Dec.13 when I decided to start selling boards.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 04:32:33 pm »
You could contact Farnell and ask them, they might cut you a deal?

Have you used the freeware version to see if you want to upgrade?
I don't think they have done any bug fixes with V7, or no significant ones in any case.

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 09:00:07 am »
I just received an email from CADSoft in which they say:

"...we have decided to withdraw the new License Management system with immediate effect. As of the 11th of August, 2014, all new EAGLe licenses will be delivered without a License Management tool. All current Eagle v7.0 licenses will when upgraded to v7.1 move back to the previous license model."

Seems someone at CADSoft was listening!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:13 am »
Or they have had so many complaints of licensing issues that they got swamped with extra work.

Edit: yep seems they had so many customer feedback that they took it out  :-DD :
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/2014/08/anderung-am-eagle-v7-lizenzmanagement/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:10:50 am by Kjelt »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 10:48:31 am »
That must cost them a few pennies, I doubt the FlexLM license system was cheap to incorporate.

Funny that they listen to people on that, yet the only thing (arguable) missing from Eagle is built in 3D viewing of the board (yes there are 3rd party tools, but it is very clunky!), they could also do with improving their RF toolbox and BGA capabilities also, I have emailed them several times but got no response on these matters.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 05:37:28 pm »
I just received an email from CADSoft in which they say:

"...we have decided to withdraw the new License Management system with immediate effect. As of the 11th of August, 2014, all new EAGLe licenses will be delivered without a License Management tool. All current Eagle v7.0 licenses will when upgraded to v7.1 move back to the previous license model."

Seems someone at CADSoft was listening!

:clap:

I will likely go ahead and upgrade, then, even though none of the other improvements (particularly to the autorouter) are terribly valuable to me. Well, the hierarchal schematic stuff might prove to be useful (but probably not - most of the things I design are "de novo").

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
Looks like I will be sticking with 6.5.0 for quite awhile, and then looking at jumping ship... I can't say I will miss EAGLE, but I did get quite good at using it over the years and don't really relish the thought of having to go through yet another steep learning curve for a new EDA program.

My thoughts exactly. Why they make it more difficult for consumer is beyond me

My thoughts exactly. Will sample Kicad every year or so and will jump ship when it will be good enough. Until then Eagle 6.5 is good enough for me and has wide support by vendors.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 10:12:12 pm »
For €50 i probably upgrade my hobbieist license next month when the new version is there. Maybe not worth the new features ( wont need them) but affordable and i like to have new versions and who knows what they,ll build next.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 10:42:38 am »
According to the web blurb 7.1 is out Monday (11th).

I will never know why they went for the new licensing, I downloaded the 6.9 beta to run as freeware and it just point blank refused to install the freeware license.

Version 7.0 did actually manage to install the freeware license, but now they are moving it back, it just seems like a lot of faff for not a lot of benefit.

They should concentrate on new features, I can't really see any feature benefit from V6.0 to V7.0 apart from the hierarchy.  They are effectively charging people for bug fixes, even Microsoft doesn't do this, they release service packs for free. :palm:

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 12:21:53 pm »
Not true. Microsoft aborts their OS and IE product completely after some years and you have to buy the new product which now has a hopeless userinterface and after a few days you wish you had a different choice.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 02:58:55 pm »
They should concentrate on new features,...

A push and shove manual router comes to mind.

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 03:30:47 pm »
Not true. Microsoft aborts their OS and IE product completely after some years...

Seriously? the standard for Microsoft free updates support cycle is 10 years. Windows XP was extended and was in full support for more than 12 years. After that only critical updates will be released.

Windows 7 should be good until 2019!

Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf