EDA > Eagle

Eagle will be part of Fusion360

<< < (28/29) > >>

beanflying:

--- Quote ---When you stop supporting and selling a product, that means you no longer fix bugs, you no longer resolve incompatibilities with new operating system releases, and you don't offer new features. It will stop working, the only question is how long until then. This is what people mean when Autodesk "kills" a product, which they have done countless times. Eagle standalone or just Eagle on Linux, is being killed. Not an exaggeration. Some form of Eagle will live on in Fusion, but eventually people's standalone installs of Eagle will not work anymore, and Autodesk is not offering any replacement for that type of product.
--- End quote ---

So Farnells prior to Autodesk 'killed' Eagle how many times by version changes and 'making' people buy new versions to keep current? Find me any commercial level software that offers 'free' perpetual upgrades and support for ever?

Autodesk for all their flaws has maintained CAD systems for decades and given a path forward with user files/drawings and data. The word 'killed' implies an end of use/life this is factually incorrect until people run out of Hardware/Operating system compatibility their perpetual licenses will continue to work.

Even now there is multiple paths forward for Eagle users including Fusion or Kicad (tried the latest version and not all bad by any means) with Eagle data. Again far from 'killed'.

--- Quote ---When Autodesk decides that Eagle in Fusion isn't working and decides to stop supporting it, you may have a month or less to figure out something else.
--- End quote ---

Completely unfounded non factual fear and smear :bullshit:

Compared to the seat price of a few decades (well over 10X in actual $) ago Fusion is a complete bargain. Sometime later this year when my three years of FREE Startup license is up I will at this stage stump up the $ and buy a paid seat. Partly because of the mix of Mechanical and Electronics I do and nothing else I can see is as affordable or integrated.

Does it mean I will stay with Fusion forever paying annually  :-// Might be in 3-5 years I decide to extract all my data and import it into something else but my crystal ball is really foggy.

Unixon:

--- Quote from: beanflying on June 13, 2021, 02:49:10 am ---Might be in 3-5 years I decide to extract all my data and import it into something else but my crystal ball is really foggy.

--- End quote ---
In 3-5 years I doubt they leave you any possibility at all to extract any of your data, and even if you do the data is going to be a useless mess of undocumented proprietary binaries.

beanflying:

--- Quote from: Unixon on June 13, 2021, 04:57:23 am ---
--- Quote from: beanflying on June 13, 2021, 02:49:10 am ---Might be in 3-5 years I decide to extract all my data and import it into something else but my crystal ball is really foggy.

--- End quote ---
In 3-5 years I doubt they leave you any possibility at all to extract any of your data, and even if you do the data is going to be a useless mess of undocumented proprietary binaries.

--- End quote ---

And again with the non factual unfounded speculative :bullshit: :palm:

Below a partial list of NON Autodesk proprietary options Fusion currently has available. I see very little that locks me into staying here.

Unixon:

--- Quote from: beanflying on June 13, 2021, 05:09:27 am ---And again with the non factual unfounded speculative :bullshit: :palm:

--- End quote ---
OK, let's check if this is currently true just for Eagle. Please find attached Eagle's DTD for v9.6.2 and onward.
Every "urn" attribute in project file compliant to this DTD points to an online resource, so please do two+ things with respect to each type of resource:
1) explain how to get content that URN is pointing to as a local file.
2) provide file format specification for that type of resource.
Optionally, list known software other than Autodesk products that allows meaningful editing of that type of resource.

beanflying:
As I don't have a paid or for that matter a copy of Eagle installed currently so not likely.

However I just exported a Board and Schematic file from Fusion in Eagle 9.x mode and KiCad opened them both straight up without a fuss. Not that there might be issues I didn't spot but export and loading into KiCad seemed straightforward and not blocked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version