Author Topic: Eagle will be part of Fusion360  (Read 7948 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Eagle will be part of Fusion360
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 06:59:50 pm »
I am more and more thankful with my decision to abandon Eagle years ago and stick to KiCad. Still completely free, still standalone, still working fine. 

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2020, 09:23:42 pm »
I am more and more thankful with my decision to abandon Eagle years ago and stick to KiCad. Still completely free, still standalone, still working fine.

If you continue down the dark path toward considering Linux then you won't ever be using Fusion without major pain either  ;)

For others who looked and haven't relooked at it in the last few days there was a stack of upgrades rolled out for the Eagle part of it. I haven't looked at what they did but boot up Fusion and it should auto update. I will find a change log and add a link here if I can find it.

EDIT Not sure if this is all of them but here is the late January and the more recent Feb update

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/january-27-2020-product-update-whats-new/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:17:46 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 06:02:24 am »
• We also rolled out 40 some performance tweaks to Electronics Design so that it is running in tip-top shape.
Well then...I suppose there's no reason for anyone to complain.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 06:09:22 am »
'Tip Top' I would think is a very subjective technical term depending if you are the user or the seller/developer of ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 04:11:31 pm »

To be fair....the current version of Eagle is still working just fine as a standalone solution. Its fairly recent MCAD sync integration with Fusion is struggling at the moment. Autodesk has generated considerable anxiety for me in that I don't have any confidence that they will not pull the plug on Eagle at some very painful time. They literally have the ability to remotely and immediately mess up my business and THEY HAVE MANAGED TO USE THAT POWER RECENTLY.

I never considered KiCad because it is isolated from MCAD systems. The promise of MCAD and ECAD integration is why I did not abandon Eagle. There is some marginal effort being made with Altium/Solidworks but not really and those two applications cost $17k plus big annual fees. Each of those is far better than Fusion 360 and Eagle, but not integrated.

There is no perfect, sadly.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
• We also rolled out 40 some performance tweaks to Electronics Design so that it is running in tip-top shape.
Well then...I suppose there's no reason for anyone to complain.

When I saw this on the Autodesk site, I fell over laughing.  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Online pointhi

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2020, 02:48:14 pm »
I never considered KiCad because it is isolated from MCAD systems.

There is a FreeCad <-> KiCad integration, which looks quite alot like the one of Fusion360 (based on videos, never used them)

https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-stepup-new-exporter-for-3d-mcad-feedbacks-are-welcome/1048/171

Offline nigelwright7557

• Regular Contributor
    • Murton-Pike Systems
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2020, 03:16:30 pm »

For a name,  a starting point and an existing customer base  £20 million is a noise bit to them.   

Since Eagle first came out the PCBCAD market has changed a lot.
There are many more vendors now chasing the same market.
Some very cheap ones which do the job and even some free ones which do the job.
I paid £5 for my PCBCAD package and have done around 300 PCB's with it and had no problems.

PCBCAD51/PCBCAD360/PCBCAD720 PCB design software https://www.murtonpikesystems.co.uk

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2020, 11:57:00 pm »
Autodesk has generated considerable anxiety for me in that I don't have any confidence that they will not pull the plug on Eagle at some very painful time. They literally have the ability to remotely and immediately mess up my business and THEY HAVE MANAGED TO USE THAT POWER RECENTLY.

I expressed this exact concern the very moment Autodesk announced subscription model. Ever since then, people (for example, the current head of the Eagle project at Autodesk) have been calling me an alarmist, FUD-generating troll, or otherwise defending Autodesk and claiming Autodesk would never hurt them. The Autodesk and subscription model defenders are still claiming "They'd never hurt me, they love me" but are doing it in a shaky voice with a black eye.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:36 am »
Autodesk has generated considerable anxiety for me in that I don't have any confidence that they will not pull the plug on Eagle at some very painful time. They literally have the ability to remotely and immediately mess up my business and THEY HAVE MANAGED TO USE THAT POWER RECENTLY.

I expressed this exact concern the very moment Autodesk announced subscription model. Ever since then, people (for example, the current head of the Eagle project at Autodesk) have been calling me an alarmist, FUD-generating troll, or otherwise defending Autodesk and claiming Autodesk would never hurt them. The Autodesk and subscription model defenders are still claiming "They'd never hurt me, they love me" but are doing it in a shaky voice with a black eye.

The pickle I am in is that KiCad and other low cost design tools are not up to the task of integrated design of complex EE and ME products IMHO. If I went back to Solidworks - Altium Designer - MasterCAM, I would have to shell out mega-$$$. Not sure if the pain of the money would wear off by the time Autodesk gets settled in with Eagle. At the moment Fusion 360 is improving rapidly and allows me to do very sophisticated mechanical design and CNC programming up to 7 axis mill-turn machines. Tons of bang for the buck - but Eagle is a major black eye at the moment. it certainly does not help that they are treating this as a consumer product/service.

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2020, 07:07:43 am »
Many of us have somehow managed, for many years, to design complex assemblies with integrated circuit boards and mechanical components without modeling every 0201 resistor.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2020, 07:26:23 am »
Many of us have somehow managed, for many years, to design complex assemblies with integrated circuit boards and mechanical components without modeling every 0201 resistor.

I don't model resistors.

I also designed many products with no integration at all. My expectations for project efficiency have increased considerably over the years. It is not about being impossible, it is about being fast.

Offline kreeper_6

• Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2020, 01:34:15 am »
Fusion 360 has a free no limitation hobby license and now includes ECAD with eagle premium features. This is a boon for hobbyists.

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2020, 10:42:08 pm »
They don't have a free no-limitation license for hobbyists anymore. They changed it near the end of the year. Now there is a free for personal use (making less than $1000/yr) and it comes with the limited Eagle (2 layers, board area limited) not the full version.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf